Integra 7: Not working with iPad

Forum for Integra 7
w7ptt

Integra 7: Not working with iPad

Post by w7ptt »

Hello all,

I just got an Integra 7 and I own an iPad 3rd generation. I have downloaded and installed the iPad app and I purchased the correct USB wireless stick from Netgear. I have the Integra 7 set to "Ad-hoc" mode.

The iPad is showing the Integra 7 in the the wireless connection area on the iPad, yet I get an error message that says "Cannot receive midi message"

Any ideas?

Bill
papaphoenix

Re: Integra 7: Not working with iPad

Post by papaphoenix »

Hello, do you have enter the ad-hoc Key number in the ipad "general"settings for wifi ?
w7ptt

Post by w7ptt »

papaphoenix wrote:Hello, do you have enter the ad-hoc Key number in the ipad "general"settings for wifi ?
Yes I have the iPad key number entered. The iPad is seeing the Integra.
papaphoenix

Post by papaphoenix »

Ok, on Integra-7, menu, system, setup, for USB driver, you have set "generic (MIDI only)"?
If you set usb driver midi+ audio, the ipad (ipad2 for me) can't use it.
If it's the problem, ou need to change to Generic, store and restart the Integra-7.
Catarsis

Post by Catarsis »

papaphoenix wrote:Ok, on Integra-7, menu, system, setup, for USB driver, you have set "generic (MIDI only)"?
If it's the problem, ou need to change to Generic, store and restart the Integra-7.
That means - you cant use USB audio with Integra when you use wifi to connect ipad ? Does not sound right.
I use iPad with usb midi interface and can use the editor app and usb audio !
w7ptt

Post by w7ptt »

Catarsis wrote:
papaphoenix wrote:Ok, on Integra-7, menu, system, setup, for USB driver, you have set "generic (MIDI only)"?
That means - you cant use USB audio with Integra when you use wifi to connect ipad ? Does not sound right.
I use iPad with usb midi interface and can use the editor app and usb audio !
I am using the USB on the Integra 7 for MIDI only (not for audio and MIDI both). I have the audio output of my Integra 7 running via analog out (1/4") into my Presonus Firestudio Project Interface. I am really disappointed I can not make the iPad 3 work with the Integra 7.
papaphoenix

Post by papaphoenix »

That means - you cant use USB audio with Integra when you use wifi to connect ipad
No, you can't use USB audio when you use wifi for ipad connexion.
Catarsis

Post by Catarsis »

I'm really happy with the usb-midi interface connection, its cheaper than wireless and it works perfect.
Integra is very good audio interface and I see no point to run it to another interface via analog outputs. One more thing Roland has to rethink
w7ptt

Post by w7ptt »

Catarsis wrote:I'm really happy with the usb-midi interface connection, its cheaper than wireless and it works perfect.
Integra is very good audio interface and I see no point to run it to another interface via analog outputs. One more thing Roland has to rethink
I still can not get my iPad to work correctly with the Integra 7. There is only one way where I have gotten it to kind of work, but it has a big limitation. Let me explain below.

My current setup is a Macbook Pro laptop running Mountain Lion OS. Sequencer software is Presonus Studio One (version 2.5). Audio interface is the Presonus Firestudio Project. I am running the Integra 7 USB (Midi only) into my Macbook Pro laptop. The analog audio output of the Integra 7 is being run into my Presonus Firestudio Project Interface. My keyboard Controller (Arturia 61) is being run into the integra 7 via 5 pin din connector. The Arturia controller, Integra 7, and Studio One software work OK together with this setup (USB cable is running the midi only data back and forth). In this setup configuration, I have the "USB-MIDI Thru" turned ON inside the Integra 7. With this setting I am able to also trigger/play sounds from my various soft synths in my Macbook Pro laptop. By having things setup this way, the iPad and Integra 7 iPad app says there is a connection error "cannot receive midi message". The iPad does see the Integra 7 wireless connection (I am using the netgear USB wireless adapter plugged into the front of the Integra 7.

If I turn the "USB-MIDI Thru" Off inside the Integra 7, the iPad the will receive midi messages and I can then change patches, change studio sets, etc. The problem is then the integra 7 and keyboard controller no longer works correctly with my sequencing software (with USB-MIDI Thru turned off inside the Integra 7).

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Bill
porteous

Post by porteous »

I have the exact same problem.... The iPad app will not work if you have MIDI-THRU enabled on the Integra. I consider this a bug, and have reported it as such to Roland.. Maybe they will fix it. In the meantime, I just turn MIDI-THRU off and on as needed. Not very elegant, but I find I don't use the iPad app much anyway.

Another option is to forgo using the Integra as a MIDI interface, and use standard MIDI cables to and from a separate MIDI interface.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

porteous wrote:I have the exact same problem.... The iPad app will not work if you have MIDI-THRU enabled on the Integra. I consider this a bug, and have reported it as such to Roland.. Maybe they will fix it. In the meantime, I just turn MIDI-THRU off and on as needed. Not very elegant, but I find I don't use the iPad app much anyway.

Another option is to forgo using the Integra as a MIDI interface, and use standard MIDI cables to and from a separate MIDI interface.
This is also my suggestion!
w7ptt

Post by w7ptt »

PauloF wrote:
porteous wrote:I have the exact same problem.... The iPad app will not work if you have MIDI-THRU enabled on the Integra. I consider this a bug, and have reported it as such to Roland.. Maybe they will fix it. In the meantime, I just turn MIDI-THRU off and on as needed. Not very elegant, but I find I don't use the iPad app much anyway.

There is a timing issue when the sequence plays when I use old school standard MIDI cables and the Integra-7. Have this Problem with Cubase and Studio One. I don't have this problem with other synth modules. I have to use USB Midi with the Integra-7.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

w7ptt wrote:
PauloF wrote:

There is a timing issue when the sequence plays when I use old school standard MIDI cables and the Integra-7. Have this Problem with Cubase and Studio One. I don't have this problem with other synth modules. I have to use USB Midi with the Integra-7.
Very Curious....
It's exactly the opposite on the V-Synth... They fixed the timing issue on USB and messed it on the MIDI ???
w7ptt

Post by w7ptt »

The timing with USB MIDI on the Integra 7 is just fine. When I used "old School" 5 Pin DIN for the MIDI the timing gets all messed up (sequence may start out OK, but then the timing gets worse and worse. This happens with 3 different sequencing packages (Cubase 7, Studio One 2.5, and Sonar Pro. Have tried it with 3 different MIDI interfaces (M-Audio Midisport, MOTU Micro lite, and the Presonus Firestudio Project that has a MIDI in and out).

I know another musician locally that is having the same exact issue.
porteous

Post by porteous »

I wrote to Roland about this issue (iPad app not working with MIDI-THRU enabled).. This was their response:

You are correct, the original design of the Integra-7 was for the iPad application to be used in live situations, but not in conjunction with a computer in recording situations. The engineers in Japan are now working on a computer-based editor that should work for your setup. We hope to have this application available within a month or so.

Sincerely,
Roland US Product Support