Integra 7 / For Live Performances

Forum for Integra 7
SynthzzGuy

Integra 7 / For Live Performances

Post by SynthzzGuy »

Hello Everyone-

Newbie here. Just placed an order for a brand new Integra 7 today. I am really looking forward to getting it later this week. My primary use for it will be for live performance in a band. Occasionally, it will be used for recording. I was holding off buying this until it was confirmed there will be a VST editor for PC. Although, I do own an iPAD, it's glued to my wife's hands. I use FORTE, an awesome software package by Brainspawn. I can control BOTH - all my VSTi's (Omnisphere, NI, Korg, etc) & hardware synths for recalling setup/programming for each and every live song, instantly (using presets). For example, setting up splits/layers, transposes, channeling out to multiple keyboard controllers, multiple audio outs (certainly don't want to hear piano thru a real leslie speaker), it can even use the great piano sounds from my Yamaha CP33 as a sound module and still use the CP33 as a controller (by turning Local Off).

Anyway, this remains to be known until the release of the upcoming PC VST editor from Roland... but I am hoping it works the same way the VST PC editor from the Korg M50 worked... and that is for each "instance" the VST editor is used, the parameters are saved and can be recalled upon loading a working file (whether it is used in multiple DAW tracks or multiple FORTE inserts). Otherwise, if it does not, my new Integra 7 will probably end up in my pile of recording hardware gear. My hopes are positive that it will work the way I think it will. Anyone else feel that it should work in this manner? Any news on when the PC VST editor will be released?

FYI... our band runs EVERYTHING in stereo thru a stereo PA and sounds amazing live. The old days of running mono are over. Otherwise, why bother with all these aweseome stereo effects... they don't have to be used just for recording.

Thanks in advance,
SynthzzGuy

PauloF

Re: Integra 7 / For Live Performances

Post by PauloF »

SynthzzGuy wrote:Hello Everyone-

Newbie here. Just placed an order for a brand new Integra 7 today. I am really looking forward to getting it later this week. My primary use for it will be for live performance in a band. Occasionally, it will be used for recording. I was holding off buying this until it was confirmed there will be a VST editor for PC. Although, I do own an iPAD, it's glued to my wife's hands. I use FORTE, an awesome software package by Brainspawn. I can control BOTH - all my VSTi's (Omnisphere, NI, Korg, etc) & hardware synths for recalling setup/programming for each and every live song, instantly (using presets). For example, setting up splits/layers, transposes, channeling out to multiple keyboard controllers, multiple audio outs (certainly don't want to hear piano thru a real leslie speaker), it can even use the great piano sounds from my Yamaha CP33 as a sound module and still use the CP33 as a controller (by turning Local Off).

Anyway, this remains to be known until the release of the upcoming PC VST editor from Roland... but I am hoping it works the same way the VST PC editor from the Korg M50 worked... and that is for each "instance" the VST editor is used, the parameters are saved and can be recalled upon loading a working file (whether it is used in multiple DAW tracks or multiple FORTE inserts). Otherwise, if it does not, my new Integra 7 will probably end up in my pile of recording hardware gear. My hopes are positive that it will work the way I think it will. Anyone else feel that it should work in this manner? Any news on when the PC VST editor will be released?

FYI... our band runs EVERYTHING in stereo thru a stereo PA and sounds amazing live. The old days of running mono are over. Otherwise, why bother with all these aweseome stereo effects... they don't have to be used just for recording.

Thanks in advance,
SynthzzGuy

Welcome to the Clan SynthzzGuy!

Being the VST so important to you, wouldn't be better to wait for the integra-7 VST Editor to come out first?

I'm not being negative, just cautious...
;-)
SynthzzGuy

Post by SynthzzGuy »

PauloF wrote:

Being the VST so important to you, wouldn't be better to wait for the integra-7 VST Editor to come out first?

I'm not being negative, just couscious...
;-)
PauloF-

Thanks for the welcome. And yes, that was a tough decision... but I got a really good deal on a new one and could not pass it up. If the VST ends up not working like I would like it to... then I can still do the same thing via using it as a hardware synth. However, that would make it so much harder to work with being the Integra 7 has so many patches and just creating the .ini file would also require alot of work and scrolling thru midi program changes via .ini file will work (more time-consuming), but not as good as doing it thru the VST which is designed to find the right patch much quicker. But this does bring up another question. Is there an .ini calkwalk definition file available for the Integra 7 ? If so, this would an alternative for what I am doing.

thanks,
SynthzzGuy
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SynthzzGuy wrote:
PauloF wrote:

I'm not being negative, just couscious...
;-)
PauloF-

Thanks for the welcome. And yes, that was a tough decision... but I got a really good deal on a new one and could not pass it up. If the VST ends up not working like I would like it to... then I can still do the same thing via using it as a hardware synth. However, that would make it so much harder to work with being the Integra 7 has so many patches and just creating the .ini file would also require alot of work and scrolling thru midi program changes via .ini file will work (more time-consuming), but not as good as doing it thru the VST which is designed to find the right patch much quicker. But this does bring up another question. Is there an .ini calkwalk definition file available for the Integra 7 ? If so, this would an alternative for what I am doing.

thanks,
SynthzzGuy
Sure there is: check this out: Sonar Definition File for Integra-7
PianoManinSoCal

Post by PianoManinSoCal »

Personally, I feel the absolutely BEST MIDI Controller for the INTEGRA-7 is the Roland A-80.

I'm running my Roland A-80 as the MIDI input controller for the Integra-7, which I believe is WAY better than the capabilities of the newer A-88. With assignable CC send functions on the A-80 via 4 Switches, 4 Sliders, 4 pedals, plus two separate modulation/pitch bend controls, etc., there's really nothing better to trigger the nuances during a performance or recording of the SuperNATURAL sounds within the INTEGRA-7 (guitar strums, violin playing noises, horn breath noise, horn glissando, etc.) to enhance the realism of each respective sound.

Regarding the INTEGRA-7 Editor capabilities for PC & Mac, it appears the Roland INTEGRA-7 Editor for PC/Mac, beyond the existing VST plug-in for 3-D sound positioning, is coming very soon! Yay!

Just got off the phone with Roland US Product Support. It's being developed by Roland Japan and was expected to be announced at last week's NAMM in Anaheim, but might not debut now until MusicMesse in March. This will provide all of the functions of the existing iPad Editor on a PC or Mac system.

However, it remains to be seen how this would function over USB if one wanted to simultaneously send and receive MIDI and/or Audio over USB at the same time. It will provide touchscreen support by default for Windows 8 OS, and there may be workarounds for older OS.

As an example, the touchscreen capabilities might be attainable via a different Windows tablet device, but that remains to be seen. It's also not clear if all of the Editor functions will be through a standalone app outside of your DAW, or if it will function as a VST.

Either way, I'm very pleased to hear this, because I refuse to purchase another Apple product in my lifetime, especially just to run the INTEGRA-7 Editor (having worked on Apple products since 1978).

So, stay calm and carry on, until the Roland official announcement and release!