iPad to Integra connection

Forum for Integra 7
Catarsis

iPad to Integra connection

Post by Catarsis »

So i start this as a new topic.

I use Cakewalk USB-midi device to connect iPad to Integra. Works perfect, but too many cables (USB cable to iPad and two MIDI cables to Integra).
But in some videos it seemes, that iPad is connected to Integra with cable !

See it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt5Kh3p556Y

also in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4ssh4zKysI#

But this does not work - I have USB to USB cable and Camera Connection kit, but it does not work with the front USB port !
specialplant

Re: iPad to Integra connection

Post by specialplant »

Besides the question of having a suitable usb cable with fitting ends, you also have to change some settings for the front usb connection in the Integra. I don't remember exactly, but I think you have to change its function from storage to generic or similar. Has anybody bought a male-to-male usb cable for this purpose?
I'm currently wondering which type of iPad to buy and what type of connection to use in order be sure of a reliable connection for live purposes...
Catarsis

Post by Catarsis »

So.
I have talked to Roland about this and it seemes, that Roland has (again) messed up with this just to force you buy the Wireless !
Not good Roland !

The front USB port is for memory sticks, the wireless adapter, or can also be used with Roland A-49 or A-88 keyboard controllers, but is not used for the iPad connection.

If You want to use Integra with iPad editor AND computer, you will either need the WNA1100-RL Wireless or buy a USB-MIDI interface (both about same price)

You can connect iPad to Integra via Camera Connection Kit and the USB port in back of Integra, but then You can't use it with computer the same time.

The wireless connection of Integra is not stable enough unfortunately. It droppes connection every now and then.

I think I will stick to the USB midi interface, but anyway - this is a big mistake from Roland !

Integra is meant to be "integrating" to your studio.
It means - I want to connect it to computer with USB midi AND audio connection, connect an external midi k-board to it and use iPad editor. All together. Actually - I want to have USB audio AND the INPUT audio together, so I can hear the audio I have recorded and record some more tracks from like input.

You say, Integra is not an audio interface ? So why the hell you added the line input ?

Roland ! You have to (sorry :you MUST) fix this.
Catarsis

Post by Catarsis »

Catarsis wrote:The front USB port is for memory sticks, the wireless adapter, or can also be used with Roland A-49 or A-88 keyboard controllers,
This means, that the front USB port CAN accept and also send midi commands and there is no point that it could not be used for iPad MIDI connection via USB cable. It's just a software restriction
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Catarsis wrote:
Catarsis wrote:The front USB port is for memory sticks, the wireless adapter, or can also be used with Roland A-49 or A-88 keyboard controllers,
This means, that the front USB port CAN accept and also send midi commands and there is no point that it could not be used for iPad MIDI connection via USB cable. It's just a software restriction
The difference is that the Front USB is a To-Device and the back is a TO-Host input.
In fact Roland could have done better, supplying two USB TO-DEVICE inputs (like the one in the front), and that would solve that problem. But there are always ways to solve that ;-)
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

But beware: There are several reports about non-working camera kit connections with the iPAD too! The problem particularly seems to occur with iPAD 3. A user also told me it doesn't work well with the new iPAD mini either. So I would be thankful for your experiences with the various iPAD models and camera kit connection to the back USB socket.
papaphoenix

Post by papaphoenix »

Hello, no problem for me with an ipad2 and a camera kit connection to use the ipad editor.
I use it without problem before to buy my netgear wifi stick.
motic

Post by motic »

Tried with my ipad3 (5.1.1) and the editor works also with a cable on the back and the camera kit! (always used with the Roland wifi so had to try it out.)
Don't have a male/male cable to try the front.

My feeling about the wifi connection problems is: it probably happens when u use the volume, being with the hand almost against the wifi stick.
·٠•●Moreno●•··
Catarsis

Post by Catarsis »

papaphoenix wrote:Hello, no problem for me with an ipad2 and a camera kit connection to use the ipad editor.
I use it without problem before to buy my netgear wifi stick.
Yes, it works, but only with theUSBport on the backside, thus You cant use iPad and computer connection at the same time
papaphoenix

Post by papaphoenix »

Yes you right, i don't write that it's from the usb back, i was answering to the specialplant message :
So I would be thankful for your experiences with the various iPAD models and camera kit connection to the back USB socket.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Thanks so far for your answers about what iPAD type seems to be reliable with what connection. I would be happy about some more experiences. Has anyone tried the iPAD MINI with the Integra? I just heard about one user, he said the lightning-to-usb connection was unreliable. Probably there aren't enough users yet to get more answers...