Post by steve77 »

Im new at recording and need some advice
thanks
PauloF

Re: Need help in Studio Zone section any I7ers

Post by PauloF »

steve77 wrote:Im new at recording and need some advice
thanks
Hi Steve77, and what specifically are you looking for?
steve77

Post by steve77 »

First of all thanks Paulof for noticing....couldnt get any help thus far, Im totally new with recording.

I have 4 Synthes which are all plugged into a Allen & heath Zed 60 14FX mixer, but the mixer is 1.0 USB so I recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 hopefully for a better recording.whats the best way to set up the mixer with the audio interface via the computer?

main outs 1/4'' from the mixer to 1/4'' ins on the Focusrite then out to the computer?
thanks for any help

I have the mixer since I have more than one keyboard into a PA system live so I figured it works the same way with a computer...

when recording multiple keyboards am i better to do them individually via the interface or all thru the mixer via the interface?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

steve77 wrote:First of all thanks Paulof for noticing....couldnt get any help thus far, Im totally new with recording.

I have 4 Synthes which are all plugged into a Allen & heath Zed 60 14FX mixer, but the mixer is 1.0 USB so I recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 hopefully for a better recording.whats the best way to set up the mixer with the audio interface via the computer?

main outs 1/4'' from the mixer to 1/4'' ins on the Focusrite then out to the computer?
thanks for any help

I have the mixer since I have more than one keyboard into a PA system live so I figured it works the same way with a computer...

when recording multiple keyboards am i better to do them individually via the interface or all thru the mixer via the interface?
Hi steve77,
Actually, with the Focusrite 2i2 you only gain (maybe) in quality, as the number of simultaneous channels that you can record at the time are also two (stereo) like on the Mixer, but on the other hand you need an extra pair of cables to connect the Mixer's Record OUT to the focusrite 2i2 IN, so this could be a challenge...

Option1:
Mixer --------USB 1.1 -------> Computer (DAW)

Option2:
Using the RECORD buttons on the Mixer to choose the channels to be recorded

Mixer Record OUT L ------> Focusrite 2i2 IN 1
Mixer Record OUT R ------> Focusrite 2i2 IN 2
______________________________Focusrite 2i2 --- Firewire ---> Computer

You should test both to see wich one gives you better Audio quality results and less noise, as otherwise they allow exactly the same two channels to be recorded and Played back.

EDITED: When recording several Keyboards it would be a lot easier to control which one(s) is(are) being recorded, so using the Mixer in the middle you don't have to disconnect/connect any cables each time you want to record a different keyboard.

Cheers,
Paulo
steve77

Post by steve77 »

Thanks Paulo Ill give it a shot.
steve