Quick question about the integra..

Forum for Integra 7
mdef303

Quick question about the integra..

Post by mdef303 »

So I'm waiting on my integra to get here and trying to research different ways to utilize the sounds and what not. So.. I work with cubase 6.5 and it has this midi effect plugin called the chorder. (Not sure if you are familiar with) and I'm trying to figure out if I can use this effect with the integra. Basically, it lets you take a sound from a vst, and you can program chords to different keys on your midi controller. I'm assuming the integra is recorded as audio into your daw, and I'm not sure if this chorder plugin can be utilized with audio. Can you record the integra as midi data like a vst...
rolandvet

Re: Quick question about the integra..

Post by rolandvet »

Never used the Chorder, but from what I've heard it's a MIDI effect, not an 'audio' effect. From my understanding, the way it works is that it lets you 'assign' a chord to a key on your controller, i.e., you can arrange it so when you play 'middle c' on your keyboard, the chorder 'plays' this as a major chord.

Since my guess is that the Chorder's output is MIDI, I would assume that if you send your controller's MIDI OUT signal into the MIDI IN of Cubase, and the MIDI OUT of Cubase to the MIDI IN of the Integra that the Integra would just play whatever MIDI chord Chorder sends to it. I don't think there's any audio involved at all with this.
mdef303

Post by mdef303 »

Yes thats it is exactly it.. Thank you for the reply. So the integra can send midi data? And not just audio?
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

You want the Integra-7 to receive MIDI data and transmit audio.

MIDI data are nothing more than instructions that tell a synthesizer what notes to play and how to play them. In other words, MIDI tells a synth how to create audio.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

JunoJohn wrote:You want the Integra-7 to receive MIDI data and transmit audio.

MIDI data are nothing more than instructions that tell a synthesizer what notes to play and how to play them. In other words, MIDI tells a synth how to create audio.
Exactly.

From what keyboard you intend to play MIDI data to drive the Integra? Or you just use the DAW's sequencer ?
rolandvet

Post by rolandvet »

mdef303 wrote:Yes thats it is exactly it.. Thank you for the reply. So the integra can send midi data? And not just audio?
Yes, the Integra can send MIDI data--but only if you send MIDI data into it first. Your chain this situation would be:

1. MIDI controller MIDI OUT to Integra MIDI IN
2. Integra MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN of your PC's MIDI interface.

But, again, if all you want to use is use the Chorder, you're better off going from the MIDI OUT of your keyboard into the MIDI IN of your PC MIDI interface and going from the MIDI OUT of the interface to the MIDI IN of the Integra. You don't need to use MIDI data from the Integra to trigger the chords--your keyboard will do that.
PianoManinSoCal

Post by PianoManinSoCal »

But it's also true that the USB connection on the INTEGRA-7 can also be used to receive and send MIDI, albeit not audio at the same time... Correct?

However, the upcoming INTEGRA-7 Editor release for PC & Mac might put a wrench in that (due out originally for NAMM last week, updated to release in time for MusicMesse in March), if it's a standalone app (like it is for iPad now) instead of via VST (unlikely).
mdef303

Post by mdef303 »

I sequence everything in cubase.

Unfortunately, my MR816csx doesn't have a midi in/out, so I would have to purchase an adapter.. which is not a problem.. especially to utilize the chorder..

Usb transfer would be nice, we would have to wait and see.
PianoManinSoCal

Post by PianoManinSoCal »

MIDI via USB is already available on the Integra-7, but that may not help you with your Steinberg unit. I'm not sure.
rolandvet

Post by rolandvet »

mdef303 wrote:I sequence everything in cubase.

Unfortunately, my MR816csx doesn't have a midi in/out, so I would have to purchase an adapter.. which is not a problem.. especially to utilize the chorder..

Usb transfer would be nice, we would have to wait and see.
I can't believe that an audio interface manufactured by STEINBERG wouldn't have an old-school MIDI IN/OUT. Do they think that everyone who used keyboards or modules no longer uses 5-pin MIDI? Stupid!

Anyway, you can connect USB MIDI from your Integra to your computer (bypassing the Steinberg completely). You have to install the driver first, obviously. I also assume that your MIDI controller connects via USB as well. Still not an issue. Just choose the controller as the MIDI IN and the Integra as the MIDI in Cubase. Your controller will determine which "chords" sound through the Chorder, and the Integra will simply be the device that plays the "Chorder" chords. You don't need to 'record' the MIDI OUT from the Integra at all.

In terms of recording audio, the Integra can record audio via USB, but given that you have at least two devices (controller and Integra) running through your USB ports plus everything else you've got attached via USB, I'd recommend instead that you record the audio from the Integra either analog through the Integra's audio outputs into your Steinberg or digitally from the Integra-s digital outs to the Steinberg. That way you can utilize both USB and Firewire in your project, which could help minimze hiccuping.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

rolandvet wrote: I can't believe that an audio interface manufactured by STEINBERG wouldn't have an old-school MIDI IN/OUT. Do they think that everyone who used keyboards or modules no longer uses 5-pin MIDI? Stupid!
This is indeed typical of Yamaha, not providing a MIDI IN/OUT - incredibly stupid: In our church there is a Yamaha DGX-630 E-Piano; the DGX series only has USB connections! It's not possible to connect a SonicCell, Integra or any kind of piano expander, I was extremely annoyed when I found it out.