So lets finalize this -COMBINING SOUNDS(2-3)

Forum for Integra 7
mdef303

So lets finalize this -COMBINING SOUNDS(2-3)

Post by mdef303 »

There has been, to my understanding, a little confusion on Integra's ability to combine sounds together, without running into polyphony issues. Some users claim they have had up to 9 sounds layered, and other's have a different opinion on this. Truthfully, I don't think Roland would come out with a unit that is incapable of combining sounds with a piece of expensive hardware to run into issues. I'm still waiting on my Integra to arrive, but when it does, I will def try to combine sounds, and for the most part, I believe that it will have no issues. So..

Current Integra users, are you running into polyphony issues when creating soundscapes, or combing 2 or 3 or 4 sounds together?

Please, let this thread make it clear for all future users, and current users!!
PianoManinSoCal

Re: So lets finalize this -COMBINING SOUNDS(2-3)

Post by PianoManinSoCal »

No, I don't run into issues. Besides, it's not like the latency issues with VSTi, so I may have to actually multi-track. No big deal. Especially now that Roland Japan has nearly completed the INTEGRA-7 Editor for PC & Mac. However, it remains to be seen if this is done via VST or dedicated app (like the current iPad app), and if it creates problems over USB, if one decides to simultaneously want to use USB for MIDI and/or Audio.

There are so many capabilities and EXCELLENT SuperNATURAL modeled sounds included in the INTEGRA-7, I don't mind at all any minor inconveniences as compared to having to hire and record musicians to get realistic sounding pianos, guitars, violins & cellos, horns and synths. Plus, I get everything I ever had or have on my old LAPC-I/CM-32P combo; U-110; U-220; and Fantom-XR (fully loaded with 6 SRX).

BTW, according to today's phone call with Roland US Product Support, the PC/Mac Editor was expected to be released in time for last week's NAMM in Anaheim, CA; but now it looks like it will be announced/released at MusicMesse in March.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

PianoManinSoCal wrote:No, I don't run into issues. Besides, it's not like the latency issues with VSTi, so I may have to actually multi-track. No big deal. Especially now that Roland Japan has nearly completed the INTEGRA-7 Editor for PC & Mac. However, it remains to be seen if this is done via VST or dedicated app (like the current iPad app), and if it creates problems over USB, if one decides to simultaneously want to use USB for MIDI and/or Audio.

There are so many capabilities and EXCELLENT SuperNATURAL modeled sounds included in the INTEGRA-7, I don't mind at all any minor inconveniences as compared to having to hire and record musicians to get realistic sounding pianos, guitars, violins & cellos, horns and synths. Plus, I get everything I ever had or have on my old LAPC-I/CM-32P combo; U-110; U-220; and Fantom-XR (fully loaded with 6 SRX).

BTW, according to today's phone call with Roland US Product Support, the PC/Mac Editor was expected to be released in time for last week's NAMM in Anaheim, CA; but now it looks like it will be announced/released at MusicMesse in March.
Well..... these are really good news and you seem to be very well informed PianoManinSoCal ;-)

Regarding Polyphony, all synths have their limit and with 128 note polyphony it's a trade and all depends on the number of tones we use on each Part.
I've used a Fantom X in performance mode with Piano, Strings, Pads and Bass running from the X at the same time and hardly run into polyphony issues only when playing some Drums.
PianoManinSoCal

Regarding Polyphony, all synths have their limit and with 128 note polyphony it's a trade and all depends on the number of tones we use on each Part.
I've used a Fantom X in performance mode with Piano, Strings, Pads and Bass running from the X at the same time and hardly run into polyphony issues only when playing some Drums.
I agree completely...

One thing I might add is proper syncopation and attacks/decays tends to eliminate lots of polyphony issues if playing live, unless you're going heavily layered orchestral arrangements for simultaneous playback from the Integra-7.

I also have experienced this not to be an issue with the Fantom-XR, if properly arranged. However, if you want 20 notes of 10 different voices to sound at the exact same time, or vice versa, you're SOL with pretty much anything out there other than multi-tracking for studio or dedicating sampled audio segments for playback live.

I would always recommend thinking more about adjusting any arrangement which requires simultaneous sounds triggers at exactly the same moment of so many voices, and what that might do to the impact of the sound and its quality. If one still really feels something normally taxing to polyphony capabilities is necessary, then they can always consider recording certain segments which require heavy multi-layering, then using a sample audio playback trigger for live environments.

BTW, thanks for the comment previous to the quote above. I've been an avid Roland fanatic since 1989, starting with the Roland LAPC-I, MCB-1 and CM-32P (which I still own, together with the CM-10) and A-80 keyboard controller. I tend to be persistent and access the information I want, from fairly reliable sources.

I can only make informed decision once I have all available data!
mdef303

Post by mdef303 »

Thank you everyone here. Basically, I would use no more than 5 instruments and once, if that. It seems to me that the Integra is more than capable of this. Am I right? I'm still waiting on mine to arrive, and I cannot wait to compose.

Thank you.

P.S - Nice that Roland is coming out with an editor for the P.C. Fantastic news.
PianoManinSoCal

You should be more than fine, provided it's not 30 keys per instrument, at the same time!
steve77

Post by steve77 »

Thats why I never limit myself to one keyboard because of some of the polyphony issues I got so frustrated years ago I always had more than one keyboard when combining too many sounds never having that problem.
For someome with only one keyboard I realize that your limited maybe thats why the Roland Jupiter 80 has 256 polyphony in one keyboard.
PianoManinSoCal

Believe it or not, I had 128-note polyphony with my set-up in 1989, using the Roland LAPC-I, MCB-1 and CM-32P.
rolandvet

Post by rolandvet »

As I said elsewhere, the one composition I've created with it has nine parts at maximum, many of which use simultaneous chords. However, I only use the SN-A acoustic instruments in it. If I were using SN-S or PCM sounds, I might run into the polyphony issue.

If you want to listen, go to:

http://integra7zone.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... -demo.html

This was recorded in multimbral mode.