PCM Synth factory presets

Forum for Integra 7
Grunwaldt

PCM Synth factory presets

Post by Grunwaldt »

Is it me, or are the PCM Synth presets mostly useless? I can hardly find an usable sound, the powerfull pcm synth engine on the integra7 doesn't look bad. What's your opinion on the "stock" PCM Synth presets guys?

I have other hardware synths and this seems to be the natural tendence on most of them, the quality of the factory presets is usually pretty bad. And the I7 doesn't look like an exception.
PauloF

Re: PCM Synth factory presets

Post by PauloF »

Grunwaldt wrote:Is it me, or are the PCM Synth presets mostly useless? I can hardly find an usable sound, the powerfull pcm synth engine on the integra7 doesn't look bad. What's your opinion on the "stock" PCM Synth presets guys?

I have other hardware synths and this seems to be the natural tendence on most of them, the quality of the factory presets is usually pretty bad. And the I7 doesn't look like an exception.
I come from a Fantom Xa and a SonicCell which had lots of very good sounds, but and after hearing all the i-7's PCM Synth patches several times, I end up using almost exclusively the SN-A and SN-S sounds and just a few PCM-Synth ones (which means that the 4 Expansion slots are much more than enough for me, as 90% of my patches are made from SN-A and SN-S sounds anyway).

It's good to have them available and most of them are good, but the SN ones make it happen !!!
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I think this is because most of the PCM sounds are well over 15 year old as they derive from the XV series. Although there are a couple worth using, it would have been more worthwile having the fantom sounds in thos module rather than the XV
rolandvet

Post by rolandvet »

Personally, I think all of the PCM sounds--both acoustic and synths--are nearly entirely useless. I think the main reason they included them was to give legacy XV-5080 owners access to all of the "past" Roland sounds.

I'd take this a step further and say that the vast majority of the included SRX sounds are useless as well if there are equivalent SN-A or SN-S replacement sounds. Does anyone really use SRX-01 drums anymore? the SRX-02 and SRX-11 pianos don't hold a candle to the SN-A pianos. The only SRX cards I find myself using are SRX-09 (mainly because it's the only place you can a decent variety of country guitars, banjos and mandolins), SRX-04 (because even though outdated, the string sections are still excellent for certain applications), and SRX-12 (because the stock SN-A EPs are pretty lame). I even find the "expansion PCM soundset" to have better quality sounds than the vasy majority of the legacy XV/SRX sounds, even though you can't edit them.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Sorry, I don't agree at all as far as the SRX sounds are concerned (I agree regarding the presets taken from the XV). To me, many SRX sounds are absolutely brillant (unless compared to software libraries), and in many cases there are no appropriate SN sounds to replace them. When I want to produce a classical piece with a symphony orchestra sound, this is impossible with the SN sounds, you definitely need the SRX 04, 10 and 06. The SN sounds mostly provide solo instruments, but e.g.no brass sections such as the great c trumpet sections of the SRX10. I also own a Yamaha MoX, the SRX sounds are more realistic. I also prefer the SRX string sections over the SN string sections (which sometimes have a nasal sound). Even the big strings sample from the SRX06 is still fascinating although it is from 1999.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Even though I have an Integra, I kept my XV-5080 for one simple reason...there are some choice sounds that I still employ off some of the older SR-JV80 expansion cards that aren't on the SRX's. I just used one of my old favourites, a nice haunting bowed guitar sound from the SR-JV80 09 Session board to good effect in my latest, "Montreux Smiles".

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12440511

I think it may be a natural tendency to be so impressed with the SuperNATURAL sounds, that others may seem ersatz, but it comes down to using the tools we have in our sonic arsenals wisely. I still use sounds from ALL of my old synths in songs, from my SC-88 Sound Canvas, right up to the 990's, 01R/W, Wavestation, and on occasion even my old trusty E-mu Proteus 3 (Tamboura to die for!) and old D-70.

I also agree with S-plant that some of the nice string sections and other specialty items like nice clusters from the SRX-04 and SRX-06 boards are hard to find elsewhere, even with the SN-S.

It comes down to making a particular sound work well in a mix, and that is where knowing some of those old trusty patches so well (like the aforementioned bowed guitar) comes into play. Besides, I can still get quite a kick from a choice few of those old 1080/2080/5080 presets.

Lastly, I will echo skins sentiment that my one wish is that they would have put the Fantom engine in there instead of the 5080. The Vortex and Ring Worldz rule!

All in all, the bottom line is that the I-7 packs quite a punch for under two grand. I didn't really need the 5080 sounds, but if they're included...bonus!! ;-)
Joxer96

Post by Joxer96 »

I happen to love a lot of the PCM sounds. As a matter of fact, I think many of the PCM synth patches sound better than the Supernatural synth engine. They are smoother, with less aliasing. But, yeah, I have to agree that some of the patches would be hard to fit into anything, particularly the loops.
janeloveadam

Post by janeloveadam »

Joxer96 wrote:I happen to love a lot of the PCM sounds. As a matter of fact, I think many of the PCM synth patches sound better than the Supernatural synth engine. They are smoother, with less aliasing. But, yeah, I have to agree that some of the patches would be hard to fit into anything, particularly the loops.
Hi, all, with limited experience in music production like I am , listening to SN and PCM they all sound great, and I'm so glad i bought I-7. many of u mention pcm sound is useless, do u mean they are difficult to mix with other instruments or they just sound crap? And if so, just for the sake in the future, how can i tell if a sound is difficult to mix, so i can be aware of
Venn Diagram

Post by Venn Diagram »

The raw data is great programming fodder IMHO - also found layering the SN sounds with PCM sounds on the same midi channel over one or two extra parts is great.
Lots of good synthesis parameters under the hood for PCM waveforms also - easily as expressive as a JD990 IMHO (having owned one for many years) but I prefer the tonality of the Integra AD/DA converters.
For me at least the FXM , Structure Modes, Waveform Tempo Sync, Partial Delay Mode, LFO's, Step LFO and so on allow you to create some really lovely and unique sounds indeed.
It is just a pity that the official editor doesn't allow you to get fully under the hood without accessing the front panel - even if it is fairly easy to program that way.
I generally view presets of this nature as a launching point for further exploration rather than the be all and end all of the engines synthesis experiences. I have also found routing PCM patches that have been tweaked through my MS20 or Analog 4 filter section and effects can yield some utterly marvellous and useful musical tones.
Joxer96

Post by Joxer96 »

janeloveadam wrote:
Joxer96 wrote:I happen to love a lot of the PCM sounds. As a matter of fact, I think many of the PCM synth patches sound better than the Supernatural synth engine. They are smoother, with less aliasing. But, yeah, I have to agree that some of the patches would be hard to fit into anything, particularly the loops.
Hi, all, with limited experience in music production like I am , listening to SN and PCM they all sound great, and I'm so glad i bought I-7. many of u mention pcm sound is useless, do u mean they are difficult to mix with other instruments or they just sound crap? And if so, just for the sake in the future, how can i tell if a sound is difficult to mix, so i can be aware of
I'm mainly talking about some of the loops of beats, or the "Hey, DJ!" samples. For the life of me I can't imagine how they would be of any use. Maybe I'm missing something. Can the beats be broken up into slices and use the individual sounds that way?
mdef303

Post by mdef303 »

Man, I don't know what some of you guys are talking about, the pcm sounds are on point as well with srx boards.. dope.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

mdef303 wrote:Man, I don't know what some of you guys are talking about, the pcm sounds are on point as well with srx boards.. dope.

The Integra-7 PCM Synth Sounds are ONLY the collection of all the old JV, XV, JD, Fantom sounds from Roland.
If one consider that as bad... well, they must be dreaming.
DNGmaestro

Post by DNGmaestro »

The PCM sounds are great, in terms of raw quality and how they fit in mixes.
Grunwaldt

Post by Grunwaldt »

I agree, the samples are not bad. I posted originally complaining about the low quality of the PCM Synth "Factory" presets, but stating clearly this is like that in most synths, you have to tweak a lot and sculpt the sounds yourself.