I7 GM demo(s) ?

Forum for Integra 7
bluesplayer

I7 GM demo(s) ?

Post by bluesplayer »

Ok before the hate mail starts: I doubt anyone would spend $2K for a GM module, I know I wouldn't. And I wouldn't buy the Integra 7 ONLY for GM but I would need it to be able to perform GM in certain circumstances. But other than printed words that say it's "high quality" there appears to be no I7 GM SOUND demos.

Has/could anyone one here who actually OWNS an I7 generate a few I7 GM demos - preferable jazz, jazz standards, ballads, something that demos bass, piano or EP's, drums, strings/horns (background), maybe guitar. Don't need FX, special FX, bagpipes, church organs, etc.

Or if I missed it on You Tube, or elsewhere, be so kind as to point out a GM demo of I7 for me.

I already own a fully loaded XV-5080, a fully loaded Fantom XR, SC-8850, GR-50 and had some JV stuff back "in the day," plus I ton of other HW (including the usual PC VSTi suspects) so I know what Roland GM sounds - sound like. What I want to know, hear actually, is if the I7 is actually better than any of these - or just "newer" marketing.

Thanks
Larry
specialplant

Re: I7 GM demo(s) ?

Post by specialplant »

I don't have such demos available, but I don't like the 'high quality' PCM/GM section which requires all 4 slots very much. They don't contain sounds of the quality of the SRX series, but represent a mixed bag of preset sounds of former synthesizers, sometimes from the 90s according to my impression. The pianos are rather disappointing, most are based on the stereo piano sample from the session expansion board from 1996, one seems to be a cut down version of the Fantom X Ultimate Piano (although I'm not sure this is part of the GM or PCM section of the HQ part). Some strings are quite good (as they were already in the late 90s). IMO, you shouldn't expect new state-of-the-art sounds in this section of the Integra.
kernell32

Post by kernell32 »

demo roland integra7 bank GM2 HQ 4slot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUeF5VXq ... e=youtu.be
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

Thanks Kernell32,

Looks like that You Tube was just put up? Is that your GM "MIDI sampler?" In any case, again thanks it is exactly what I was looking (listening) for. I would think at least a few other folks wanted to know, but were too humiliated to ask about GM sounds as well.

I wouldn't try to score an academy award movie or next platinum album with JUST that sound set but I might use it for my Nobel prize award dinner, as draft sonic sketches, or one man band backing tracks for on the fly requests, etc.

That sampling of GM sounds was better than I would have thought and unless the MIDI sequence was extensively tweaked to get good blends/sound mix (level and spectrum wise) - the individual parts seem to fit together better than most GM banks (HW or SW) I have or use.

Again GM will not be my primary or even secondary use of an I7, when my finance director (wife) finally allows me to get it, but it will be called upon.

Larry
kernell32

Post by kernell32 »

Hi,
no file has been edited
I have loaded the midi and pressed play on Sonar X2.
On the Integra7 I have created a Studioset with sound GM2 from exp HQ...I have disabled the bank change and what you feel is the result.
markoffski

Post by markoffski »

Hi Guys,

I too am interested in the quality of the HQ GM2 set bluesplayer good question!, like with you its not make or break that I have it, but I just find a decent GM set handy, so yes Thanks Kernell32 your demo is very interesting, and a good cross section of styles and genres to judge with!. Considering there's no editing, just plug & play, I'm even more impressed. I am disappointed the set takes up all 4 slots though, I'm also wondering if anyone has made a GM set using supernatural sounds and drums, I'm sure roland must be working on one especially if they intend to use all supernatural sounds in their next generation arranger keyboards which I think would be the case.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kernell32 wrote:demo roland integra7 bank GM2 HQ 4slot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUeF5VXq ... e=youtu.be
Very nice demo Kernell32!!!