Controller Keyboard

Forum for Integra 7
Gordnewman

Re: Controller Keyboard

Post by Gordnewman »

I'm using a Motif 8 and Motif XS 6 to control my
Integra. I really like the action of the 8's weighted keyboard. It was easy to set up the sliders on the Motifs to control volume of different parts on the Integra.

Regards,
Gord
anotherscott

Re: Controller Keyboard

Post by anotherscott »

Kurweil PC3-series boards do make very good controllers. If you like the idea of the board having sounds of its own as well, I think they are the best option. Even not counting the sounds, they may be the best controllers at the moment, as most of the dedicated controller boards these days are relatively low end affairs.

The PC3K (61, 76, 88), PC3X (88), PC3 (76), and PC361 (61) have, I think, the best controller flexibility overall, though not in every respect.

The PC3LE (61, 76, 88) are the lower cost models.

Differences:

* The LE does not have the 9 sliders. However, instead, it has 5 knobs, each of which can be assigned to up to 3 parameters. So in a sense, it can be better, in that you can control 15 parameters instead of 9, but you only have instant access to 5 at a time, and you lose the ergonomic and visual benefits many people like about faders.

* The LE has 5 programmable buttons instead of 10, though each can be toggled to two functions for a total of 12 controllable items.

* The LE has 8 drum pads, versus none.

* The LE does not support a ribbon controller.

* The LE does not support a breath controller.

* The LE supports only two foot switches and one foot pedal, as opposed to three foot switches and two foot pedals.

They all have aftertouch. The 88s are all piano-style Fatar TP40L weighted actions, all the rest are semi-weighted Fatar TP8, except for the 61 key PC3K6 and PC361 which are a less weighted Fatar TP9, which I actually like better than at least the stock TP8 for all uses except perhaps piano. The reason I said "stock" is that some people (including myself) find the TP8 to feel too tightly sprung, but there is a company that offers aftermarket lighter springs. http://www.syntaur.com/PC3KC.html

None of the actions are waterfall.

As a bonus, as mentioned, the boards have some very nice sounds in them, including drawbar organs and EPs. They are a bit heavy, though.