Which SRX boards do you have on auto-load?

Forum for Integra 7
Mephisto

Which SRX boards do you have on auto-load?

Post by Mephisto »

Hi there!

I was wondering which SRX boards you have set to load automatically when turning on the Integra. It's not so easy to select 4 out of 12, although some of the boards might be a bit outdated and/or superfluous given the new supernatural sounds (such as piano). Please post your preferences...
PauloF

Re: Which SRX boards do you have on auto-load?

Post by PauloF »

Mephisto wrote:Hi there!

I was wondering which SRX boards you have set to load automatically when turning on the Integra. It's not so easy to select 4 out of 12, although some of the boards might be a bit outdated and/or superfluous given the new supernatural sounds (such as piano). Please post your preferences...
Well, each one has his/her preferences...

In my particular case I have: ExSN3 (Session), ExSN4 (Guitar), SRX06 (Complete Orchestra) and SRX07 (Ultimate Keys), which for me represent a very balanced choice of new SN and "OLD" PCM sounds.
DNGmaestro

Post by DNGmaestro »

I still have the default ones lol

But that's mainly because i cycle a lot. I explore them quite heavily on different projects.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

1) SRX-06: Complete Orchestra
2) SRX-04: Symphonique Strings
3) SRX-09: World Collection
4) SRX-08: Platinum Trax
papaphoenix

Post by papaphoenix »

Hello, for me
SRX03
SRX06
SRX09
SRX10
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

1) SRX-03: Studio
2) SRX-04: Symphonique Strings
3) SRX-06: Complete Orchestra
4) SRX-10: BigBrass Ensemble

or

2) SRX-06: Complete Orchestra
3) SRX-07: Ultimate Keys
4) SRX-10: BigBrass Ensemble

or

2) SRX-06: Complete Orchestra
3) SRX-10: BigBrass Ensemble
4) ExSN5: Brass or ExSN2: Wood Winds (I can't remember which, but it's the bank with saxophone in it)

This is mostly speculation, but I reckon these three configs would cover most of my needs. However, for electronic kits and dance and world sounds I've always assumed a 2nd I-7 (once the XV is sold) would be useful. A 2nd unit could, for instance, permanently load the World, Ultimate Keys and both "dance" boards, making it perfect for accommodating electronic kits and synth sounds (PCM) alongside the SNS engine, with the World board there for the odd tasteful smattering of worldliness.

Each to his own, but on paper at least, methinks I'll be as happy as Larry once that 2nd unit comes along. Mind you, I continue to hold onto the hope that Roland will release a massively-updated OS that delivers on some of the obvious weaknesses therein (such as the 4-slot limit) before I plunk the dough down for another current unit. As I've stated before I look forward to a new model in the absence of said update. Either way, I'm dragging my feet on the 2nd I-7 to maximise my chances of getting lucky. If the slot limit weren't there, I'd easily be able to overlook the more minor inconveniences, but I can't overstate how disappointingly-limiting it's turned out to be. The SRX 03 board, for instance, is there for its conga samples (I made the kits on the XV and reprogrammed them for the I-7), and for that reason alone. A full slot for a single "sound" just won't get me there for complex and even not-so-sophisticated arrangements. ExSN2: Wood Winds or ExSN5: Brass (I've forgotten which), is there for a single tenor sax used in my default brass section because it's tonality differs from the (non-expansion) SNA one.

I was just passing through and thought, seeing as this "which to which slots" dilemma has caused me so much angst(!) in the past, pretty much anything I say will bring confirmation and or insight to someone... I hope! Bottom line for me is: In my situation the four-slot limit, no matter how I look at it, necessitates a 2nd unit. Unless a new model removes the slot limit and adds polyphony and outputs (taking them to 16 in number), meaning that it's effectively 2 INTEGRAs in one, the additional I-7 looks set in stone. I can only envy those who can make it all happen on a single machine.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Monkey Man wrote: --- I was just passing through and thought, seeing as this "which to which slots" dilemma has caused me so much angst(!) in the past, pretty much anything I say will bring confirmation and or insight to someone... I hope! Bottom line for me is: In my situation the four-slot limit, no matter how I look at it, necessitates a 2nd unit. Unless a new model removes the slot limit and adds polyphony and outputs (taking them to 16 in number), meaning that it's effectively 2 INTEGRAs in one, the additional I-7 looks set in stone. I can only envy those who can make it all happen on a single machine.
I don't think you need a second unit unless you use (live) more sounds at once than all the Integra + 4 loaded slots can provide.

But I agree that it would have been nice to have all 19 Boards loaded at once and having the possibility to choose from all those thousands of sounds.

We musicians, we are never satisfied ;-)
Macska

Post by Macska »

Right now just SRX 09 World.

I've had that one since a few years ago when all I had was an XV 2020.

I love it, that card is a plane ticket that really does take me traveling all over the world. All I have to do is put some headphones on, enjoy the complimentary drinks, and take off on the journey!
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

PauloF wrote:
Monkey Man wrote: --- I was just passing through and thought, seeing as this "which to which slots" dilemma has caused me so much angst(!) in the past, pretty much anything I say will bring confirmation and or insight to someone... I hope! Bottom line for me is: In my situation the four-slot limit, no matter how I look at it, necessitates a 2nd unit. Unless a new model removes the slot limit and adds polyphony and outputs (taking them to 16 in number), meaning that it's effectively 2 INTEGRAs in one, the additional I-7 looks set in stone. I can only envy those who can make it all happen on a single machine.
I don't think you need a second unit unless you use (live) more sounds at once than all the Integra + 4 loaded slots can provide.

But I agree that it would have been nice to have all 19 Boards loaded at once and having the possibility to choose from all those thousands of sounds.
Aah... my dear Paulo. When I sequence (h'ware only), everything comes into DP's mixer, and I don't actually track 'till late in the piece. When it comes time to track, I want to be able to record all MIDI hardware in one pass. As long as I have enough outs on my synths, this approach will work. It's a carry-over from when I used to use an ATARI in the same way back in the '90s; nothing was recorded back then 'till I engaged the Sony portable DAT for final mix.

I agree with you, of course, that the outs wouldn't be needed otherwise. I just don't want to stand around all day for multiple passes just to render MIDI as audio.
PauloF wrote:We musicians, we are never satisfied ;-)
Yup. 'Tis a curse.