how to monitor whist recording via USB MIDI

Forum for Integra 7
krowe79

how to monitor whist recording via USB MIDI

Post by krowe79 »

Hi All

I purchased an Integra recently as i'm going to try to write and record few songs.

my set up as follows:

A49 into Yamaham Clavinova P100 (midi merge turned on) into Integra 7.

Integra 7 linked to laptop via USB, using Reaper to record. Also linked to a little mixer and some powered monitors via the xlr outs.

I have managed to record a track via midi but i cant listen to what i'm playing as i'm recording. I have been playing about with a couple of settings in the Integra but cannot get it to output through the xlrs and USB simulataneously.

If i turn on monitoring on the laptop i can here what i'm playing but i have latency issues and it is a second or so behind.

in SETUP i have USB driver set to GENERIC
in MIDI i have USB Thru MIDI On

Is there anything i'm missing?

Thanks

Kev
Macska

Re: how to monitor whist recording via USB MIDI

Post by Macska »

Hi Krowe79,

Reaper can be a little confusing sometimes if I remember correctly.

I think what you need to do is make sure in the options/preferences/settings menus select the Integra 7 as your audio device. Go ahead and change the driver mode to ASIO while you're at it.

Now, you said you have it recording midi, which is good and means you have a midi track figured out. What you need to do next is insert an audio track and select the integra as your In and I suppose as your audio output as well, then have your speakers plugged into the Integra. Make sure input echoe is on for the audio track and that should fix things up for you!

I haven't played around much with using the USB audio of the integra because I always have it plugged in to an interface with a ton of other gear, but I think this should help.

EDIT- Alternative solution:

If you simply want to hear the Integra's midi played back as you record it the answer is a bit simpler-
Make sure your input AND output source on the Midi track are the Integra. Turn input echo on in the midi track and viola!
krowe79

Post by krowe79 »

Hi

Thanks for the info, got that working.

So i've hit my next problem. How to i get the audio to play back through the integra via the usb link, i can get midi tracks to come through to the correct channels and assign a instrument, but not audio tracks, i'm sending to Out/Out(R), but have tried the other options (not the rea ones though as i dont get what they are about yet).

This is all very new to me, so sorry if im asking simple questions.

Thanks

Kev

edit: the main thing i'm trying to get at the moment is a click track
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

krowe79 wrote:Hi

Thanks for the info, got that working.

So i've hit my next problem. How to i get the audio to play back through the integra via the usb link, i can get midi tracks to come through to the correct channels and assign a instrument, but not audio tracks, i'm sending to Out/Out(R), but have tried the other options (not the rea ones though as i dont get what they are about yet).

This is all very new to me, so sorry if im asking simple questions.

Thanks

Kev

edit: the main thing i'm trying to get at the moment is a click track
Hi Kev,
Welcome to the Clan!

For that you need to have the integra-7 as your Reaper Audio Card
krowe79

Post by krowe79 »

Hi

I have Integra as my device for input and output.

I put in a click tract and make sure the output is integra says OUT(2) /Out(R)(2) on the channel.

I can see the meter going up and down on both the click channel and the master but nothing is being received by the integra.

I cant record audio either, only midi. The USB driver on the integra is definitely set to Vender. I think i may have to try a different USB lead perhaps.

Kev
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

I have Integra as my device for input and output.

I put in a click tract and make sure the output is integra says OUT(2) /Out(R)(2) on the channel.

I can see the meter going up and down on both the click channel and the master but nothing is being received by the integra.

I cant record audio either, only midi. The USB driver on the integra is definitely set to Vender. I think i may have to try a different USB lead perhaps.

Kev
A few questions:

- Where do you have your sound system/headphones connected? Directly on the integra-7 ?

- On the integra, go to MENU, SYSTEM, and from the TAB SOUND, what is chosen as Ext Part Source Select? It should be: USB AUDIO, otherwise you won't hear anything coming from the computer via USB.
krowe79

Post by krowe79 »

Hi

That's the setting i needed!

Thanks for your help. I can now hear my click track, will let you know if i get stuck again

Kev
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

That's the setting i needed!

Thanks for your help. I can now hear my click track, will let you know if i get stuck again

Kev
Glad you made it!

Enjoy your integra ;-)