Question about user slots and Axial

Forum for Integra 7
Mike Vee

Question about user slots and Axial

Post by Mike Vee »

Are all of the sounds on the Axial website for the SuperNatural synth engine? It appears so.

Also, how many tones can the SNS user bank hold? It seems each Axial expansion is only like 30-50 tones - can the Integra hold all of them at once? Can I just keep loading all the new Axial packs forever?

Thanks,

Mike
JunoJohn

Re: Question about user slots and Axial

Post by JunoJohn »

Mike Vee wrote:Are all of the sounds on the Axial website for the SuperNatural synth engine?
Yes
Mike Vee wrote:Also, how many tones can the SNS user bank hold?
Mike Vee wrote:It seems each Axial expansion is only like 30-50 tones - can the Integra hold all of them at once? Can I just keep loading all the new Axial packs forever?
Pretty much.

If I understand correctly, there are really just 3 unique sets of I7 sounds on the Axial site. Everything else is a subset or minor variation of the original Synth Legends set.

Euro Attack Synth - 146 Tones

NYC Nightlife Remix Collection - 29 Tones

Synth Legends - 128 Tones

Appropriately the total is a very Rolandesque 303.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mike Vee wrote:Are all of the sounds on the Axial website for the SuperNatural synth engine? It appears so.

Also, how many tones can the SNS user bank hold? It seems each Axial expansion is only like 30-50 tones - can the Integra hold all of them at once? Can I just keep loading all the new Axial packs forever?

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike,

The Integra Axial based Packs are all SN-S based

In addition to:
256 PRESET SN-A
1109 PRESET SN-S
896 PRESET PCM-S
14 PRESET PCM-D
256 GM2 PCM-S
9 GM2 PCM-S
256 USER SN-A
512 USER SN-S (the ones that can be found on the Axial site)
256 USER PCM-S
32 USER PCM-D

A Combination of up to 4 ExSN Cards (SN-A), 4 SRX PCM Cards or a mix of the two types in any combination

ExSN1 Ethnic=17 Tones
ExSN2 Wood Winds=17 Tones
ExSN3 Session=50 Tones
ExSN4 A.Guitar=12 Tones
ExSN5 Brass= 12 Tones
ExSN6 SFX =7 Tones

SRX PCM Tones and Drum Kits:
SRX-01 Dynamic Drum Kits: 41 Tones; 79 Drum Kits
SRX-02 Concerto Piano: 50 Tones
SRX-03 Studio SRX: 128 Tones; 12 Drum Kits
SRX-04 Symphonique Strings: 128 Tones
SRX-05 Supreme Dance: 312 Tones; 34 Drum Kits
SRX-06 Complete Orchestra: 449 Tones; 5 Drum Kits
SRX-07 Ultimate Keys: 475 Tones; 11 Drum Kits
SRX-08 Platinum Trax: 448 Tones; 21 Drum Kits
SRX-09 World Collectiom: 414 Tones; 12 Drum Kits
SRX-10 Big Brass Ensemble:100 Tones
SRX-11 Complete Piano: 42 Tones
SRX-12 Classic EPs: 50 Tones

So the Integra can hold 512 USER SN-S tones and 64 USER SN-D Tones

The majority of Packs are set as StudioSets, and not Tones, and as you know the number of StudioSets is limited to 64, and for that you will have to clear all or some of the original ones...and the limit is 512 USER tones, which you can save each time you load a different StudioSet until you reach the 512 limit.

Well, this is not the best way to load the tones, but by using the integra Librarian in order to organize the Tones in a better way, unfortunately the Librarian is not very easy to use and "get"

EDITED: I took so much time writing the answer that JunoJohn ended up by answering faster and cleaner ;-)
Mike Vee

Post by Mike Vee »

Thanks for the replies!

I have ZERO interest in any studio sets as they will get used to save setups for my songs which will be sequenced in cubase.

So, are you saying that if I get synth legends pack tones there is no use for the 106, 60, jupiter 8, etc?
lol

Post by lol »

Yeah but you know this entire question of user memory slots really has no importance at all on this machine, as there's a very standard USB slot right next to the volume pot, that allows you to save and load all the presets you will ever be able to design. Even on a small 256mB usb stick you can store such a huge amount of data there is no real memory shortage matter really!
Mike Vee

Post by Mike Vee »

thanks

can someone please confrim that the 106, 60, jupiter 6/8 packs are just parted out tones from synth legends?
Macska

Post by Macska »

Right, if you get the full synth legends then you already have 106, 60, JP8, etc.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mike Vee wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I have ZERO interest in any studio sets as they will get used to save setups for my songs which will be sequenced in cubase.

So, are you saying that if I get synth legends pack tones there is no use for the 106, 60, jupiter 8, etc?
I believe I was Not totally clear on my post... Sorry for that
I'll try to explain it further as soon as I'm near my home computer

Excuse brevity
Answered from iPhone
Mike Vee

Post by Mike Vee »

no problem thanks!

I think as I understand it a "tone" is just a patch (now, where do the waveforms come in? you cannot actually add waveforms, correct? just tones that are programmed from existing waveforms? OR, is SNS totally VA?)) but a studio set is the 16 slots, some of which featured layered tones...the ones included in the axial packs.

so, what tha means is that the 106. 60 etc are using existing tones (and thus existing waveforms) but have specially layered studio sets to emulate that particular synth? they may come with tones, but those tones are just necessary to facilitate those particular studio sets, correct? and furthermore. those tones already exist within SYNTH LEGENDS, so the only benefit to the 106, 60, 101, etc are actually the studio sets?
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

All of the waveforms on the Integra-7 are internal. The SN-S is limited to the usual VA type waveforms (saw, square, etc…) plus the built-in 450 PCM waveforms.

The Tones from Axial are just like "patches" you might download for almost any synth.

I haven't gone through all of the "Powered by Synth Legends" Studio Sets, but the ones I've tried are just layers of existing Synth Legends Tones. The Tones are layered up to 4 deep, use Parts 1-4, and are all on Channel 1.
Mike Vee wrote:so, what that means is that the 106. 60 etc are using existing tones
Yes
Mike Vee wrote:…(and thus existing waveforms)…
That's the only possibility.
Mike Vee wrote:…but have specially layered studio sets to emulate that particular synth?
My impression is that they are layered just for the sake of layering. A Studio Set that layers three Juno-60 Tones is like having three Juno-60's playing at the same time.
Mike Vee wrote:those tones already exist within SYNTH LEGENDS, so the only benefit to the 106, 60, 101, etc are actually the studio sets?
Yes. But, IMHO the Studio Sets are largely forgettable.
Mike Vee

Post by Mike Vee »

JunoJohn wrote:All of the waveforms on the Integra-7 are internal. The SN-S is limited to the usual VA type waveforms (saw, square, etc…) plus the built-in 450 PCM waveforms.

The Tones from Axial are just like "patches" you might download for almost any synth.

I haven't gone through all of the "Powered by Synth Legends" Studio Sets, but the ones I've tried are just layers of existing Synth Legends Tones. The Tones are layered up to 4 deep, use Parts 1-4, and are all on Channel 1.
Mike Vee wrote:so, what that means is that the 106. 60 etc are using existing tones
Yes
Mike Vee wrote:…but have specially layered studio sets to emulate that particular synth?
My impression is that they are layered just for the sake of layering. A Studio Set that layers three Juno-60 Tones is like having three Juno-60's playing at the same time.
Mike Vee wrote:those tones already exist within SYNTH LEGENDS, so the only benefit to the 106, 60, 101, etc are actually the studio sets?
Thanks man, I get it 100%. And yea, no need for studio sets but extra patches are always welcome!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mike Vee wrote:
JunoJohn wrote:All of the waveforms on the Integra-7 are internal. The SN-S is limited to the usual VA type waveforms (saw, square, etc…) plus the built-in 450 PCM waveforms.

Yes
Thanks man, I get it 100%. And yea, no need for studio sets but extra patches are always welcome!

Again, JunoJohn was faster and explained it very clearly... :-D

The SudioSets can be forgettable yes, if we work only with Tones.

My way of working is quite different and instead of keep changing Patches (Tones in this case), I just change Midi Channels within a StudioSet, and change StudioSet when I need to add Extra 16 Tones or slight variations.
This way I get a no sound brakes when changing patches, as in fact I'm only changing Parts within the same StudioSet, so there is no interruption when "changing" sounds.

The integra is rather limited in this respect as it only gives us 64 StudioSets (the FA has 512...), but nevertheless, I've never used more that 20 of them, which gives me up to 320 different Parts.

I don't use DAWs at all to change "Tones", but only 3 MIDI Keyboard Controllers from where I control my whole setup (PCR-500, A-800 PRO and Yamaha MOXF6).

For me the computer is only for Recording and Producing, and since I have the MOXF just partially, as the MOXF has a very powerful sequencer that allows for sequencing Voices (Patches), Performances (4x parts in Split/Layer mode) and in MIX/SONG/Pattern Mode (up to 16 Parts) and then exporting that to the computer based DAW to allow for the other non-Moxf tracks to be added.

I know it's not a very "orthodox" way of working but it's the one I'm comfortable with without the total dependency on computers for creating music an/or tweaking Tones.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

PauloF wrote:EDITED: I took so much time writing the answer that JunoJohn ended up by answering faster and cleaner ;-)
Gramma always says, "Cleanliness is next to godliness."

That is why I type my posts while au naturel.