Midi file issues using Integra-7 with Sonar home studio 7

Forum for Integra 7
Dinas2hounds

Midi file issues using Integra-7 with Sonar home studio 7

Post by Dinas2hounds »

I was previously using a Roland sc-88 sound module to play midi files with Sonar and upgraded to the Integra-7. I followed the instructions of downloading the instrument definition files, updated the driver for my computer system, turned GM off in system, have midi USB/thru turned on and loaded and saved the virtual slots for startup.
When I open a midi file, there is no bank allocated and usually just a number for the instrument. Some of the sounds are what they sounded like using the sc-88 and others way off. I select the correct bank, new instrument then save.
After shutting down the Integra-7 and powering back up, When I open that same midi file, the instruments that I changed sound like some other instrument! I checked the bank and instrument which are the new ones I selected but the sound has changed. All of the system settings are correct for using Sonar as my sequencer. I am stumped and frustrated as I have hundreds of midis that I have to edit and then re-edit every time? Am I missing something? I need help please.
Dinas2hounds

Re: Midi file issues using Integra-7 with Sonar home studio

Post by Dinas2hounds »

Ok, after hours, days and a couple of weeks of research and calls I finally figured out the issue. In order for the Integra-7 to place nice with midi files and have the ability to change the sounds to an I-7 sound, there must be a sysx of turn general midi on and Gs reset. When you bring up the midi file in Sonar, on the I-7 it will say GM-2 template on the screen. Then change the instruments, save and voila! Hope this helps anyone that was having a similar issue.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Dinas2hounds wrote:Ok, after hours, days and a couple of weeks of research and calls I finally figured out the issue. In order for the Integra-7 to place nice with midi files and have the ability to change the sounds to an I-7 sound, there must be a sysx of turn general midi on and Gs reset. When you bring up the midi file in Sonar, on the I-7 it will say GM-2 template on the screen. Then change the instruments, save and voila! Hope this helps anyone that was having a similar issue.
Thanks for the tip Dinas2hounds, and Welcome to the Clan!!
Casablanca

Post by Casablanca »

I know this is a really old thread but would appreciate some help with the same issue. I don't understand Dinas solution. Total newbie with a new toy; Re-assigning sounds in old midi tunes (soundfonts) to i7. Please, how do I store patch settings from I7 in Sonar HS6 to recall when reloading project?
Getting very frustrated and need to figure this before I pull what's left of my hair out!