Purchase Integra 7 or a Legacy Module (XV-3080, 5080)

Forum for Integra 7
drumster

Purchase Integra 7 or a Legacy Module (XV-3080, 5080)

Post by drumster »

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here, but I’ve been reading this forum for the past several weeks. I’m considering the purchase of either the Integra 7 or an older Roland module to give me some of the classic Roland PCM sounds for R&B and gospel music project. My question is: Would I be better off purchasing the newer Integra 7 or trying to find a used XV-3080 or 5080 on eBay or the local classifieds? Is there any downside in terms of sonics, warmth or character if I went with the Integra 7 instead of a legacy module like the XV-3080 or 5080?

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!
Macska

Re: Purchase Integra 7 or a Legacy Module (XV-3080, 5080)

Post by Macska »

I had an XV 5080 before and an XV 2020 and I say if you can afford it, go for the Integra. As many will tell you having all of the expansion boards in one box, a complete XV 5080 (which itself has pretty much all of the old modules in it) plus the Supernatural Acoustic and Synth engines is real nice.

If price is an issue, I would say maybe go for a Fantom XR. The Fantom units actually have some more waveforms and editing features, especially with envelopes, that the XV 5080 and Integra don't have. Either way try downloading the manuals for each one you're considering and watch lots of youtube videos to get an idea of which will suit you best. The XV 5080 editor won't work with Windows 7 or higher from my experience, but the front panel isn't so bad.

I don't notice a difference in sound but there are plenty of people who claim to.
drumster

Post by drumster »

Macska wrote:I had an XV 5080 before and an XV 2020 and I say if you can afford it, go for the Integra. As many will tell you having all of the expansion boards in one box, a complete XV 5080 (which itself has pretty much all of the old modules in it) plus the Supernatural Acoustic and Synth engines is real nice.

If price is an issue, I would say maybe go for a Fantom XR. The Fantom units actually have some more waveforms and editing features, especially with envelopes, that the XV 5080 and Integra don't have. Either way try downloading the manuals for each one you're considering and watch lots of youtube videos to get an idea of which will suit you best. The XV 5080 editor won't work with Windows 7 or higher from my experience, but the front panel isn't so bad.

I don't notice a difference in sound but there are plenty of people who claim to.
Thanks for your response! I'm leaning towards the Integra 7 because it sounds great in all the demos I've watched, and seems like an easier route to go. I like the idea of having all the PCM sounds on one module, as opposed to seeking out a used XV-5080 and a bunch of SRX expansion cards. Although the Integra 7 is not a particularly cheap investment, budget is thankfully not an issue in this case. My main concern was whether I would be missing anything in terms of character and warmth on the PCM samples within the Integra 7 compared to PCM samples on the XV-5080. From what you say, it sounds as if this is a non issue and that's very encouraging.

I'll check out the Fantom XR as well. Is there any reason besides price and some of the editing features, why I might also want to consider picking up a Fantom XR?
Macska

Post by Macska »

I don't remember for sure but the effects may work differently in the Fantom XR. You may want to check the manual. As for me I don't use many internal effects anyways since I like to set up effects sends in my DAW and wash similar sounds through the same bus at various volumes.

I love my Integra so much, I've bought and sold a lot of synths. Most were sold because I don't need much more with this thing around (well ok space was an issue too). As an added bonus if you have an iPad you can pick up a wireless adapter for around $6 on ebay right now and use the Integra editor wirelessly. My iPad has barely left my music stand since I got the adapter :)

Oh and welcome to the clan btw
drumster

Post by drumster »

Macska wrote:I don't remember for sure but the effects may work differently in the Fantom XR. You may want to check the manual. As for me I don't use many internal effects anyways since I like to set up effects sends in my DAW and wash similar sounds through the same bus at various volumes.

I love my Integra so much, I've bought and sold a lot of synths. Most were sold because I don't need much more with this thing around (well ok space was an issue too). As an added bonus if you have an iPad you can pick up a wireless adapter for around $6 on ebay right now and use the Integra editor wirelessly. My iPad has barely left my music stand since I got the adapter :)

Oh and welcome to the clan btw
Thanks Macska! It's great to be a part of this forum. I've owned several Roland products throughout the years (FP4, Juno G, TD-8), and they have all served me very well.

The iPad connectivity looks to be another great feature of the Integra 7. I have a fairly new iPad Air and found the official Roland adapator (WNA-1100R) available from my dealer for the same price as the alternative from Netgear. I live in Canada, so there isn't a big difference in price between both.

I've been looking at some of the other legacy modules on Ebay i.e. Fantom XR, and have found some used units for sale from Korea and Japan that look to be in better shape than some of the used North American units that I've seen. Is there any reason to avoid purchasing units from these Asian countries due to the voltage differences? For example, in Japan the voltage is 100V, where in both Canada and the U.S., we use 120V. Would a voltage converter be trustworthy enough to pick up one of these used units from Japan or Korea?
Spikey699

Post by Spikey699 »

I hada Fantom XR, recently upgraded to an Integra. Totally worth it. It cost more to have an XR with 4-5 of the SRX expansions, which you need to round out the instrument package.

One major plus of the Integra is that each part can have its' own MFX, unlike the XR where only 3 parts can sound like patch mode (i.e. have the FX auto routed). It is worth it for that alone, but the SuperNATURAL sounds and 5080 onboard are a deal sealer.

Screen size is another plus with the I7.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Spikey699 wrote:I hada Fantom XR, recently upgraded to an Integra. Totally worth it. It cost more to have an XR with 4-5 of the SRX expansions, which you need to round out the instrument package.

One major plus of the Integra is that each part can have its' own MFX, unlike the XR where only 3 parts can sound like patch mode (i.e. have the FX auto routed). It is worth it for that alone, but the SuperNATURAL sounds and 5080 onboard are a deal sealer.

Screen size is another plus with the I7.
Welcome to the Clan Drumster!!

As was said by the other guys, if budget is not a problem, go for an integra-7!

To add to what was already mentioned, the Studio Set approach and the easy and friendly interface are also a plus in my view.
drumster

Post by drumster »

Thanks again for the warm welcome to the Roland Clan forum! I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me some advice. You've all raised some great points, and I think you've sold me on the Integra 7. The fact that it has an XV-5080 on board, along with all the new Supernatural sounds, as well as wireless iPad connectivity means that it will integrate nicely into my setup for the future. I will say that after listening to more demos of the Integra 7 and playing an FA-08 at my dealer, I'm looking forward to having some Roland sounds back in my arsenal again!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

drumster wrote:Thanks again for the warm welcome to the Roland Clan forum! I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me some advice. You've all raised some great points, and I think you've sold me on the Integra 7. The fact that it has an XV-5080 on board, along with all the new Supernatural sounds, as well as wireless iPad connectivity means that it will integrate nicely into my setup for the future. I will say that after listening to more demos of the Integra 7 and playing an FA-08 at my dealer, I'm looking forward to having some Roland sounds back in my arsenal again!

One more thing that I didn't mention and that for me is a great plus:
- The ability to Route ANY of its 16 Parts to an OUTPUT Audio channel, meaning that you can individualize the AUDIO of the Parts routed in these ways:
--> in MONO to up to 8 individual Outs - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or
--> in STEREO to "A" (1/2 + SPDIF), "B" (3/4), "C" (5/6) and "D" (7/8)

Just to give an example on the way I use it:
- Part 10 (Drums) Routed to OUTPUT "D" (Audio Channels 7/8)
- Part 9 (Bass) Routed to OUTPUT "B" (Audio Channels 3/4)
- Parts 4 and 15 (Strings/Pads) routed to OUTPUT "C" (Audio Channels 5/6)
- Other Parts (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13) outed to OUTPUT "A" (Audio Channels 1/2 + SPDIF)

This way I can record simultaneously 4 different Sections (Drums, Bass, Strings/Pads, and Main) by feeding each OUTPUT to the Multichannel AUDIO Interface, each one on its own DAW Audio channel.

Take care
Paulo
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Drumster, regarding your "warmth and character" question:

IMHO, the JV and XV ranges had a slightly hard edge; subtle but there, nevertheless, and not obvious 'till one hears the INTEGRA-7. The 5080 was the best-sounding of both ranges, IMHO, but as I suggested, until you hear the INTEGRA-7 it's difficult to appreciate that the older units were indeed a little lacking in that there was a "hardness", however minimal, present.

These "new" units are in another league IMHO. More revealing and accurate-sounding, and yet somehow more characterful, and definitely warmer, which I put down at least in part to the reduction in that hardness factor.

Everything's subjective; it's just my perspective and YMMV.
drumster

Post by drumster »

Thank you Paulo F, and Monkey Man for your additional insights on the Integra 7 compared to the legacy modules! My apologies for this late response. Due to some technical issues, I haven't been able to log into the forum for over a week.

I have an update to my situation; After all the help on the forum here, I placed my order for a new Integra 7 on Friday of last week. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get it and start exploring the vast collection of sounds. I think the Integra 7 will be a great complement to my Motif XF and Korg Kronos!
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Alright!

Yup. It will!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

drumster wrote:Thank you Paulo F, and Monkey Man for your additional insights on the Integra 7 compared to the legacy modules! My apologies for this late response. Due to some technical issues, I haven't been able to log into the forum for over a week.

I have an update to my situation; After all the help on the forum here, I placed my order for a new Integra 7 on Friday of last week. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get it and start exploring the vast collection of sounds. I think the Integra 7 will be a great complement to my Motif XF and Korg Kronos!
It will be a great complement, I'm sure

In my case the integra is "the heart" and the Yamaha MOXF and the Korg iM1 are the complements ;-)
A Kronos is in my Horizon, hopefully next year
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

It's just a matter of Kronology then, Paulo. :)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Monkey Man wrote:It's just a matter of Kronology then, Paulo. :)
Hi Nicky,

Like the Portuguese saying.... It's just a matter of "time" (€€€) ;-)

Take care
Paulo