sound stop

Forum for Integra 7
Wolfi

sound stop

Post by Wolfi »

Did anyone experience the following problem: when playing two sounds on a splitted keyboard (for example cello and piano) if I play a note on the cello and hold it and then play a note two octaves lower (exactly two octaves lower, it doesn’t happen with other notes) on the piano, as soon as I release the latter the former stops sounding.
Is there any solution to this problem as far as you know?
Macska

Re: sound stop

Post by Macska »

I wasn't able to replicate the problem by creating a cello/piano split and playing on my A-88. I usually make splits by setting both parts I want to play to midi channel 1 (part view-level/CH) and edit the keyboard range (part view-KBD).

Can you explain how you created your split and what controller you're using?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Macska wrote:I wasn't able to replicate the problem by creating a cello/piano split and playing on my A-88. I usually make splits by setting both parts I want to play to midi channel 1 (part view-level/CH) and edit the keyboard range (part view-KBD).

Can you explain how you created your split and what controller you're using?
+1, and add to that what type of patches you are using? SN-A, SN-S, PCM-S?
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

That's exactly what I usually do. I set both parts to play to channel 1 (or any other but always two sounds to the same channel) and edit the range, for instance putting the cello in the upper range and the piano or strings in the lower one. The problem arises mainly with gut guitar, cello 2 and muted trumpet but also with other solo instruments such as violin and viola. The regularity I noticed is that they are all supernatural acoustic sounds. The controller keyboard is a Yamaha CLP 470 but I don't think the problem is there since nearly all the other sounds do not behave like that.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Wolfi wrote:That's exactly what I usually do. I set both parts to play to channel 1 (or any other but always two sounds to the same channel) and edit the range, for instance putting the cello in the upper range and the piano or strings in the lower one. The problem arises mainly with gut guitar, cello 2 and muted trumpet but also with other solo instruments such as violin and viola. The regularity I noticed is that they are all supernatural acoustic sounds. The controller keyboard is a Yamaha CLP 470 but I don't think the problem is there since nearly all the other sounds do not behave like that.
We heard about similar problems from other Integra-7 owners before. all related to SN-Acoustic patches, and that's why I made the question...

Try the following:
Go to MENU, STUDIO SET COMMON, PHASE LOCK TAB
And check the MIDI channel 1, the one that is being used by more than one Part.

Do the same to any other MIDI channel that is being used by more than one Part
Then try to be if the behavior is the same and tell us here.

Cheers,
Paulo
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

Thanks a lot for your help. I tried to follow your suggestions but they don't work. It seems that the only way to keep the note sounding is to hold the pedal. I also tried the poly setting instead of tone or mono with no result. Even tried to split the keyboard directly from the controller putting the two sounds into different channels but the problem is still there. By the way I found out that it arises with all supernatural acoustic sounds no matter which type of sound they are coupled with.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Wolfi wrote:Thanks a lot for your help. I tried to follow your suggestions but they don't work. It seems that the only way to keep the note sounding is to hold the pedal. I also tried the poly setting instead of tone or mono with no result. Even tried to split the keyboard directly from the controller putting the two sounds into different channels but the problem is still there. By the way I found out that it arises with all supernatural acoustic sounds no matter which type of sound they are coupled with.
So you Say that both patches are SN-A and they are sharing the same MIDI channel...
As I said there were reports about polyphony cuts when using two (or more) SN-A parts sharing the same MIDI channel, and the best is to layer them by triggering both part MIDI channels at the same time, although I never noticed that problem myself...
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

I'm not saying that the two tones are both SNA. It happens when the SNA is coupled with a PCM tone as well. I also tried to assign the two sounds to different midi channels. My keyboard doesn't allow me to send signals on two channels simultaneously but I can do it by using the split function of the keyboard. In that case two consecutive channels are used for the two instruments. Nevertheless I didn't solve the problem. I am afraid it could be indipendent of the settings configuration and be caused by a hardware defect instead.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Wolfi wrote:I'm not saying that the two tones are both SNA. It happens when the SNA is coupled with a PCM tone as well. I also tried to assign the two sounds to different midi channels. My keyboard doesn't allow me to send signals on two channels simultaneously but I can do it by using the split function of the keyboard. In that case two consecutive channels are used for the two instruments. Nevertheless I didn't solve the problem. I am afraid it could be indipendent of the settings configuration and be caused by a hardware defect instead.
Sorry My misunderstanding...

I use layered Parts for guitars, Pads and Strings (SN-A/PCM and SN-A/SN-S), and never noticed any polyphony drop out of the ordinary.

Let's do the following:
Give me a couple of examples of Parts/Tones that are not working in your case and I'll check it on my integra.

At least we rule a few things out
What do you say?
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

Two examples of couplings not behaving correctly are the following:
Cello 2 / Full Grand 1
Gut Guitar / Warm strings
In both couplings the first tone is on the right side of the keyboard (down to C4) and the second on the left (up to B3). Both tones are on the same channel, it doesn't matter which one. Notice that in the first case both tones are SNA but this is not true for the second.
I must add an information which could be crucial for replicating the setting: the pitch of the tones. I have to adjust the pitch otherwise cannot get the right range of the instruments.

First case
Cello 2: - 2 octaves
Full Grand 1: +1 octave
In this case the sound of the cello stops when I release the same note two octaves lower in the piano

Second case
Gut guitar: -1 octave
Warm strings: +1 octave
Here it happens when I release the same note one octave lower in the strings.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Wolfi wrote:Two examples of couplings not behaving correctly are the following:
Cello 2 / Full Grand 1
Gut Guitar / Warm strings
In both couplings the first tone is on the right side of the keyboard (down to C4) and the second on the left (up to B3). Both tones are on the same channel, it doesn't matter which one. Notice that in the first case both tones are SNA but this is not true for the second.
I must add an information which could be crucial for replicating the setting: the pitch of the tones. I have to adjust the pitch otherwise cannot get the right range of the instruments.

First case
Cello 2: - 2 octaves
Full Grand 1: +1 octave
In this case the sound of the cello stops when I release the same note two octaves lower in the piano

Second case
Gut guitar: -1 octave
Warm strings: +1 octave
Here it happens when I release the same note one octave lower in the strings.
Ok, I'll try that on my integra, but just need a little bit more info:
- Can you give me the exact Tone Numbers/Names being used?
- on the second case, the 2nd tone is SN-S or a PCM?
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

The exact Tone names and numbers are the following:
Cello 2 - Supernatural Acoustic 193
Full Grand 1 - Supernatural Acoustic 1
Gut Guitar -Supernatural Acoustic 153
Warm Strings - PCM Synth 292
Thank you again for wasting time with my problems.