Is split/dual on a MIDI controller suitable for performing?

Forum for Integra 7
kimsnarf

Is split/dual on a MIDI controller suitable for performing?

Post by kimsnarf »

Hi

I was wondering if the split/dual buttons on a MIDI controller, like on the Roland A-88, have a direct function on the Integra-7? That is, can I easily toggle the split/dual states (e.g. bass and lead) using these buttons, or do I have to configure something on the Integra-7 in advance? What does it split/dual? The first two parts selected on the Integra-7?

I'm trying to research how suitable the Integra-7 is for performance/impulse playing from a MIDI controller, compared to e.g. a Jupiter-80.
LA Keys

Re: Is split/dual on a MIDI controller suitable for performi

Post by LA Keys »

The split function allow to assign a specific midi channel for each keyboard range (split). You then just have to assign the same channels for the parts you want to play on the integra-7 with each splits. This could be any of the 16 parts, and also more than one if you set multiple parts to the same channel. The "dual" mode will simply play both channels.

Btw, this is a common way to do that and nothing specific to the Integra-7. You don't need to buy a Roland keyboard controller for that, there's many others that support those features.

LA
Macska

Post by Macska »

The A-88 was pretty much built for use with the Integra and Jupiters, so the features work great together.

Split/Dual modes layer up multiple Midi Channels on the keyboard. For example, if you press Split then the keyboard will send half the range on Midi Channel 1 and the other half on Channel 2. You can program the split points, channels, and all the little details as deeply as you like.

As for setting up on the Integra, it's like you say. It can trigger the first two parts, or others if you prefer.

It is pretty immediate for me. The supernatural controls are there, and if you use a midi cable to connect the setup is simply power on and start playing. I have the iPad editor open on a music stand in front of the keyboard so that gives me even more immediate control. I had the Jupiter 50 and in my experience I actually prefer the Integra + A-88 and iPad because I don't have to do so much menu diving when I'm just jamming.

I think the Jupiter 80 on the other hand, would be best for performance and impulse playing. It's got the editor built into the screen and so many real time controls. The 80 being around the same price as the A-88 + Integra together, I say try that out if you don't think you'll use the PCM tones on the Integra.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Thank you, guys!

I already have a Jupiter-80, which I play all the time. But I am looking for a slim, easy-to-position, easy-to-operate, discreet, family-friendly setup for the living room. The Jupiter-80 is too bulky, too flashy and with too many distracting/frightening controls (for normal human beings). I have looked into digital pianos, but they are too boring/limited (for me at least), and I have considered arrangers, but they are overkill and too bulky/flashy.

A stripped-down, preconfigured SuperNATURAL controller like the A-88 (paired with an iPad + Integra-7) looks just about perfect if it is easy to operate for a couple of minutes of family bliss. (The Integra-7 will of course also serve as a mobile studio-supplement to the Jupiter-80, with the module's massive boost of sounds and parts).
Macska

Post by Macska »

Oh cool!

Yeah the A-88 is nice in that it doesn't take much space for an 88 key controller. Let me know if you ever find a good stand for it though. Right now I'm using an X stand which takes up more space than it needs. Roland has a generic 88 key Roland stand it fits on but I've yet to see one in person so I don't know how much extra space there is. I wish they made a wooden frame like they have for the FP series, but one that only fits the a-88 with no extra room.

I also use my a-88 plugged straight into the iPad often. Now that's immediate playing around!
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

I went for the Roland KS-12 stand. It is well suited to the A-88. Easy to place, stable, just a bit deeper than the A88 (nice fit). I think I prefer this to a wooden stand since it lets more light through (from the window). I only wish it were a couple of centimeters (an inch) lower (it can only be adjusted higher). The height from the floor to the top of the keys is 73,5 cm (29"). The "standard" for pianos is 71,5 cm (28"), which feels more right to me. But I have ordered an adjustable piano bench to compensate.

I have included an image. Let me know if you want any measurements or additional angles.
IMG_1028.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
I really like the combination of the A-88 and the Integra-7. Easy to use, direct control of SuperNATURAL articulations. Good feel of the keybed, and finally a keyboard with enough keys (no more octave switching). A bit too heavy/slow key response for me, but I'm getting used to it. I don't want a larger (deeper) keyboard for a slightly better keybed. Anyway, I have the Jupiter-80 for lightning-fast finger gymnastics. The Jupiter continues to have the best keybed I have ever played. But the A-88 is better for all kinds of hammered sounds (pianos, bells etc). It just feels more natural.

And the Integra-7 really adds a lot of quality sounds to the Jupiter-80. It is like a hardware upgrade. The additional SuperNATURAL acoustic sounds are great! Now I have the best of both worlds. :)
Macska

Post by Macska »

That looks really nice actually! OK I might have to get one of those stands too then, thanks!