I will be receiving my Integra 7 in a couple of hours and...

Forum for Integra 7
JohnnyIntegra

I will be receiving my Integra 7 in a couple of hours and...

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

I had some questions :)

Hello, this is my first post and I am very curious what I will need to be up and running with my Integra 7?

I understand that in order to use the USB port for audio, my Integra would have to be the interface, yes? This will not work for me as I would like to use my Apollo as my interface ofcourse. so I understand, I will need to connect the main output of the Integra to my Apollo's inputs (now I would like to only connect the main outputs as I am thinking that whatever I will need to record, I can just mute/solo, correct? I also wish to not record with fx such as reverbs and delays etc. Now, how about midi? will I need to purchase a midi interface? Or can I connect the Integra via usb (while using my Apollo as my AUDIO interface) and use the usb connection as my MIDI interface? Would this work? I also have a Maschine studio that has midi i/o on the back of it, if I had to use this, would anyone know if I would NEED to sequence my Integra in Maschine, or could i just simply assign and sequence in Cubase/Ableton etc.?

Thank you so much guys,
J
Macska

Re: I will be receiving my Integra 7 in a couple of hours an

Post by Macska »

A few options and answers for you-

You can use the Integra's USB audio along with your Apollo IF you use the software ASIO4ALL. I've used this before and it allows you to use multiple USB audio interfaces together. Personally, I don't like using it but it does work once you get the hang of it.

Without using the USB Audio, you can still route the outputs into your Apollo like you said. If you use only the stereo main outputs (1 and 2) which is the default, you'll have to mute certain midi tracks in your DAW when you want to record another part. Or, you can send the 8 individual outputs into your Apollo if it has enough inputs. Then you'll have to change some settings to send the parts to different outputs.

As for effects, you just have to turn those off on the Integra before recording if you don't want them active. Nothing too confusing here luckily.

For Midi you can use that through USB no problem, even while using the Apollo and Maschine on the same computer. You will be able to send midi to the Integra through USB from your DAW fine.

Have fun with your new synth! Make sure to check out the manual, it should clear up most questions like this you may have.
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

Macska wrote:A few options and answers for you-

You can use the Integra's USB audio along with your Apollo IF you use the software ASIO4ALL. I've used this before and it allows you to use multiple USB audio interfaces together. Personally, I don't like using it but it does work once you get the hang of it.

Without using the USB Audio, you can still route the outputs into your Apollo like you said. If you use only the stereo main outputs (1 and 2) which is the default, you'll have to mute certain midi tracks in your DAW when you want to record another part. Or, you can send the 8 individual outputs into your Apollo if it has enough inputs. Then you'll have to change some settings to send the parts to different outputs.

As for effects, you just have to turn those off on the Integra before recording if you don't want them active. Nothing too confusing here luckily.

For Midi you can use that through USB no problem, even while using the Apollo and Maschine on the same computer. You will be able to send midi to the Integra through USB from your DAW fine.

Have fun with your new synth! Make sure to check out the manual, it should clear up most questions like this you may have.

WOW! Thank you so much, I believe you answered everything, I greatly appreciate it. Im prepared to plug the main outs into my Apollo and use it that way as I do not use Asio4all on my mac. The midi response really made my day as that is the only thing I was kinda confused if it would work. Thank you
Macska

Post by Macska »

Don't forget as an added bonus you have the External stereo input on the front- this way it's almost like the inputs on the apollo aren't even taken up by the Integra.

So, how are you liking it now that you have it all set up?
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

Macska wrote:Don't forget as an added bonus you have the External stereo input on the front- this way it's almost like the inputs on the apollo aren't even taken up by the Integra.

I missed the Fedex guy yesterday like an idiot lol. So again.. It will be here shortly haha.

I am excited, although much of my sounds are itb, I love and grew up on the Roland sound. Great tip by the way, thank you. Any other insight would be appreciated, thanks again man.
rr2011

Post by rr2011 »

If you have an iPad, you'll want to get the FREE Integra Editor app!

MUCH easier than menu diving for most Integra functions, and works great, even on older iPad models.
(Works fine on my iPad 2 with latest iOS updates ...).

Much better looking editor, and generally easier to use, than the VST plugin versions, IMHO.

If you use the iOS-based Editor via wireless LAN (which uses the the Integra's front-panel "USB Memory" port), you'll still be able to use the Integra's standard back-panel USB connection for all your computer connectivity, plus that leaves the iPad's charge port open for recharging while in use.

Also, check this thread out for another cool way to use the iPad with the Integra:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=48064

The Roland web site has several documents available for download for the Integra.
And, the Roland AXIAL site has a pretty decent selection of additional free sound sets that can be downloaded for the Integra, as well.

Have fun!! : )

Randy
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

rr2011 wrote:If you have an iPad, you'll want to get the FREE Integra Editor app!

MUCH easier than menu diving for most Integra functions, and works great, even on older iPad models.
(Works fine on my iPad 2 with latest iOS updates ...).

Much better looking editor, and generally easier to use, than the VST plugin versions, IMHO.

If you use the iOS-based Editor via wireless LAN (which uses the the Integra's front-panel "USB Memory" port), you'll still be able to use the Integra's standard back-panel USB connection for all your computer connectivity, plus that leaves the iPad's charge port open for recharging while in use.

Also, check this thread out for another cool way to use the iPad with the Integra:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=48064

The Roland web site has several documents available for download for the Integra.
And, the Roland AXIAL site has a pretty decent selection of additional free sound sets that can be downloaded for the Integra, as well.

Have fun!! : )

Randy
VERY helpful, it finally arrived btw, thank you so much, yes, myself like much of the world have succumbed to purchasing an ipad haha, this is great news. Also, you say the ipad editor is better than the vst version? really? Im on a mac running os X yosemite, sequencing in either Cubase pro 8 or Ableton live 9 (as well as what ever is the newest rev of maschine for my maschine studio).
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

Macska wrote:Don't forget as an added bonus you have the External stereo input on the front- this way it's almost like the inputs on the apollo aren't even taken up by the Integra.

it finally arrived and I have started o unpack it, quite excited as I have not used a Roland synth for some time, haha. So correct me if I am wrong but, I should connect the usb port on the back of the unit (marked Usb computer) to my Mac in order to transfer MIDI and the Lmix and Rmix audio outs (these are the stereo outs, yes?) to my Apollo for my audio and ill be in good shape yes?
Macska

Post by Macska »

JohnnyIntegra wrote:So correct me if I am wrong but, I should connect the usb port on the back of the unit (marked Usb computer) to my Mac in order to transfer MIDI and the Lmix and Rmix audio outs (these are the stereo outs, yes?) to my Apollo for my audio and ill be in good shape yes?
Right, just like that. I also recommend the iPad app (running it on iPad 2 as well). It's easier to use and the illustrations inside it are nice for quick command of the sounds. That said, the iPad editor doesn't access many parameters aside from selecting and mixing sounds and editing the SN synth, so the Mac editor is good to have too.

If you decide you like the iPad editor, you can find the Netgear wireless adapter for under $5 on ebay now. There should be a thread here and in the marketplace as well about it with links.
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

Macska wrote:
JohnnyIntegra wrote:So correct me if I am wrong but, I should connect the usb port on the back of the unit (marked Usb computer) to my Mac in order to transfer MIDI and the Lmix and Rmix audio outs (these are the stereo outs, yes?) to my Apollo for my audio and ill be in good shape yes?
Right, just like that. I also recommend the iPad app (running it on iPad 2 as well). It's easier to use and the illustrations inside it are nice for quick command of the sounds. That said, the iPad editor doesn't access many parameters aside from selecting and mixing sounds and editing the SN synth, so the Mac editor is good to have too.

If you decide you like the iPad editor, you can find the Netgear wireless adapter for under $5 on ebay now. There should be a thread here and in the marketplace as well about it with links.

Thank you, great info! So all I need o search for is a Netgear wireless adapter and it should pop up yes? Thanks again.
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

Hello all, I am very curious if I am better off connecting the Integra to my Apollo via the analog outs on the integra (im not sure if I should connect the Amix L and Amix R on xlr or the 1/2 trs outs just above ?) or should I try the agregate device option (Im on a mac, Yosemite) and just connect to my computer via usb (im connecting to my mac via usb for midi)? Thank you all again.
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

Macska wrote:A few options and answers for you-

I actually meant to quote you for the question above.. DOH! Lol! Would you be able to answer my questions please? Thank you very much.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

JohnnyIntegra wrote:Hello all, I am very curious if I am better off connecting the Integra to my Apollo via the analog outs on the integra (im not sure if I should connect the Amix L and Amix R on xlr or the 1/2 trs outs just above ?) or should I try the agregate device option (Im on a mac, Yosemite) and just connect to my computer via usb (im connecting to my mac via usb for midi)? Thank you all again.
Hi JonnyIntegra,
Congrats on your purchase! you got "one of a kind" synth!
In my opinion, you should use your Apollo interface as the main Audio Interface to your MAC based DAW.

Can you tell me what is the model of your Apollo and what other gear you are using with it and how, so I can be a little bit more specific on the way to use it with the Integra?

Cheers,
PauloF
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

PauloF wrote:
JohnnyIntegra wrote:Hello all, I am very curious if I am better off connecting the Integra to my Apollo via the analog outs on the integra (im not sure if I should connect the Amix L and Amix R on xlr or the 1/2 trs outs just above ?) or should I try the agregate device option (Im on a mac, Yosemite) and just connect to my computer via usb (im connecting to my mac via usb for midi)? Thank you all again.
Hi JonnyIntegra,
Congrats on your purchase! you got "one of a kind" synth!
In my opinion, you should use your Apollo interface as the main Audio Interface to your MAC based DAW.

Can you tell me what is the model of your Apollo and what other gear you are using with it and how, so I can be a little bit more specific on the way to use it with the Integra?

Cheers,
PauloF

I currently have an Apollo twin duo and will be ordering a new Apollo 8 this week. Thank you so much ahead of time :)
JohnnyIntegra

Post by JohnnyIntegra »

Anyone?

=)