Advice needed about buying an Integra 7.

Forum for Integra 7
MC909

Advice needed about buying an Integra 7.

Post by MC909 »

Seriously thinking about buying one of these.

I'd like to ask you Integra 7 owners a few questions if I may?

1. I don't own an Ipad, so can I use the pc editing software as stand alone without having a running DAW program such as Cubase?

2. I'm a bit confused about the FX on the unit. Can I use a different fx for each part if I wanted to?

3. How good are these super natural sounds really? I have seen a lot of youtube videos and have to say I think the sound quality is amazing. Does it really sound that good in real life?
I'm very interested in classical instrument patches such as the violin, clarinet, harp and horns etc.

4. How does the I7 hold up against the xv5080? Can I load in .wav samples for example?

5. Is it possible to split the keyboard with two patches?

Sorry for all the questions but just wanted to ask those that have an I7.
PauloF

Re: Advice needed about buying an Integra 7.

Post by PauloF »

MC909 wrote:Seriously thinking about buying one of these.

I'd like to ask you Integra 7 owners a few questions if I may?

1. I don't own an Ipad, so can I use the pc editing software as stand alone without having a running DAW program such as Cubase?

2. I'm a bit confused about the FX on the unit. Can I use a different fx for each part if I wanted to?

3. How good are these super natural sounds really? I have seen a lot of youtube videos and have to say I think the sound quality is amazing. Does it really sound that good in real life?
I'm very interested in classical instrument patches such as the violin, clarinet, harp and horns etc.

4. How does the I7 hold up against the xv5080? Can I load in .wav samples for example?

5. Is it possible to split the keyboard with two patches?

Sorry for all the questions but just wanted to ask those that have an I7.
First of all, welcome to the Clan!

Second, I'm answering from the iPhone at lunch time at work, so I'll have to be brief (can give u more details later)

Answering your questions

1- you can if you use the editor produced by our fellow forum colleague K_Take.

2- yes, each part has its own MFX with the exception of Chorus and Reverb, that are general

3- they are awesome and although not being possible to control all their parameters, the variations included are ver good. To my taste

4- it Holds very well and adds all supernatural analogue sounds, not present on a 5080

5- perfectly, any layer or split up to the 16 parts is possible

Excuse brevity
PauloF
Happy

Post by Happy »

1. Or, use the Steinberg VST host or vshost software, to run the Roland editor. Both are free. I use both on Win 8.1 and Win 10.
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Happy wrote:1. Or, use the Steinberg VST host or vshost software, to run the Roland editor. Both are free. I use both on Win 8.1 and Win 10.
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html
It could be, but the K_Take's editor is much more stable and easy to use IMO
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

MC909 wrote:4. …Can I load in .wav samples for example?
No.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

JunoJohn wrote:
No.
It can't load wav samples but can load Supernatural Synth StudioSets/Patches/waves from the Axial website integra collection
Http://axial.roland.com
MC909

Post by MC909 »

Some interesting feedback here.
Much appreciated.

What about the FX, how good are they?
I have heard that the I7's reverb is rather poor.

Any other limitations worth mentioning?

Thanks again :)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MC909 wrote:Some interesting feedback here.
Much appreciated.

What about the FX, how good are they?
I have heard that the I7's reverb is rather poor.

Any other limitations worth mentioning?

Thanks again :)
The FX are very good (IMO, of course)
The Reverb is fine and very flexible taking into consideration that this is a Room Ambience characteristic and not an instrument one, so it should be applied as a whole...

I've heard the same about the i-7 Reverb (despite any Reverb Quality comments/comparisons with professional/dedicated Reverb units or another synth's), I can tell you that the only limitation I see is not having a Reverb block per Part.
In some cases it would be nice to have a different set of Reverb for each Part, or at least a few reverb Blocks to apply to a few parts as desired.

But this is not only a problem on the i-7... The Yamaha XF has the same issue (just to name one)
Macska

Post by Macska »

My advice - buy it! lol

Looks like all of your questions have been answered already. I will chime in as someone who doesn't like the Reverb on the unit. I never use built in reverb anyways so it never bothers me. It sounds maybe, too weak? Even with headphones on I have trouble telling the difference between less and more reverb on this thing. I'm one of those guys who drowns things in a single reverb send though, I don't use it for a realistic sense of space. I like to have long releasing atmospheres where notes hang out in the background long after they stopped being played and the integra doesn't cut it there. But what sane musician doesn't have a thousand spare virtual effects units to use with their gear?!

This thing is seriously awesome though. The only reason I can guess anyone wouldn't like it is if they bought it thinking it was something other than a sound module and synthesizer.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

PauloF wrote:
JunoJohn wrote:
No.
It can't load wav samples but can load Supernatural Synth StudioSets/Patches/waves from the Axial website integra collection
Http://axial.roland.com
No waves, as you no doubt know, Brother-P. Just patches and Studio Sets.

Oh, and to clarify Paulo's comments about reverb blocks, he was talking about being able to have different types of reverb on various instruments. What you can do, 'though, is run one type, of your choosing, and apply it to varying degrees to each instrument to taste - a reverb send per channel, effectively, which is fine in most situations. When recording, of course, you'd run everything dry (no reverb) and apply it to taste in the mix via plug-ins or dedicated outboard units.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Monkey Man wrote: No waves, as you no doubt know, Brother-P. Just patches and Studio Sets.
Sure... my bad. Thanks for the correction M-Man!
Monkey Man wrote: Oh, and to clarify Paulo's comments about reverb blocks, he was talking about being able to have different types of reverb on various instruments. What you can do, 'though, is run one type, of your choosing, and apply it to varying degrees to each instrument to taste - a reverb send per channel, effectively, which is fine in most situations. When recording, of course, you'd run everything dry (no reverb) and apply it to taste in the mix via plug-ins or dedicated outboard units.
Correct, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks again M-Man ;-)

It was one of those days... lol
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Shame, poor P-Man!

My pleasure, bro'. Gave me something to do.
MC909

Post by MC909 »

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. .....

I bought one!!!!! :)

Hopefully l will receive it in 3 or 4 days time.
Really looking forward to it .
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MC909 wrote:Thanks again everyone for the feedback. .....

I bought one!!!!! :)

Hopefully l will receive it in 3 or 4 days time.
Really looking forward to it .
Congratulations mc909!

I'm sure you will enjoy it
Cheers,
PauloF
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Awesome MC909!

Well done, mate.