Balanced Outputs

Forum for Integra 7
indrek4_1

Balanced Outputs

Post by indrek4_1 »

It's not clear to me (sorry;) is it allowed to connect ROLAND INTEGRA 7 balanced outputs "A" (L and R) to Mixer separate mono channel Inputs with TS-Cables? Doesn't it damage balanced output (one half of signal will be grounded on short?

Indrek
PauloF

Re: Balanced Outputs

Post by PauloF »

indrek4_1 wrote:It's not clear to me (sorry;) is it allowed to connect ROLAND INTEGRA 7 balanced outputs "A" (L and R) to Mixer separate mono channel Inputs with TS-Cables? Doesn't it damage balanced output (one half of signal will be grounded on short?

Indrek
Hi indrek4! Welcome to the Clan!
I hope that you find it fine here :-)

No it doesn't but you will lose the balanced advantage, even if the Mixer has balanced inputs.
Apart from that, if the distance is short, it wont be a problem.

What Make/model is your mixer?

Cheers,
Paulo
indrek4

Post by indrek4 »

Sorry, I'm the same person - indrek4 and indrek4_1. Thank You for the instant Replay. I have for Live Performance now only Yamaha Stagepas 400i which has two balanced inputs but unfortunately they go to both outputs equally, I.E. mono. Only way to get stereo output from Yamaha Stagepas 400i is to use inputs 5/6 or 7/8 with only unbalanced Inputs (look attachment). Ineed only few meters of cables so it's no problem.

Cheers,
Indrek
Attachments
stagepas_400i_block (1).pdf
Block Schematic of Yamaha Stagepas 400i
(469.52 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
indrek4_1

Post by indrek4_1 »

Sorry, I'm the same person - indrek4 and indrek4_1. Thank You for the instant Replay. I have for Live Performance now only Yamaha Stagepas 400i which has two balanced inputs but unfortunately they go to both outputs equally, I.E. mono. Only way to get stereo output from Yamaha Stagepas 400i is to use inputs 5/6 or 7/8 with only unbalanced Inputs (look attachment). Ineed only few meters of cables so it's no problem.

Cheers,
Indrek
Attachments
stagepas_400i_block (1).pdf
(469.52 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Happy

Post by Happy »

IMHO,(correct me if wrong) For the mixer input side no problem, but on the I7 output side you will short the ring and sleeve. Not a good idea. Better take a two balanced cables and cut the ring wire (or assemble the cable yourself) and connect these from I7 balanced outputs to you your 5/6 or 7/8 inputs. Though you will loose signal strength. There are plenty of cable wiring diagrams on the internet for such cable
indrek4

Post by indrek4 »

Thank You for the answer. I thought same. That's easy for me to make special cables. Only I have to write on these ID label to identify them later (when the number of different cable types is rising)

Cheers,
Indrek
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

indrek4 wrote:Thank You for the answer. I thought same. That's easy for me to make special cables. Only I have to write on these ID label to identify them later (when the number of different cable types is rising)

Cheers,
Indrek
In fact the ideal situation is to use BALANCED Cables, and to connect them to the MIXER on channels 3 and 4, the only ones that are balanced INPUTS. Two options here:

1- Using TRS Cables
i-7 OUT 1 ---> Stagepas400i IN 3
i-7 OUT 2 ---> Stagepas400i IN 4

2- Using Balanced DIN to TRS or DIN to DIN cables
i-7 Balanced DIN OUT 1 ---> Stagepas400i IN 3
i-7 Balanced DIN OUT 2 ---> Stagepas400i IN 4

There will be another option to connect i-7 OUTS 1/2, but the Stagepas400i does not support it, which is a SPDIF Digital connection...

Two questions... how do you actually connect your gear to your DAW (in case you have one)? and what AUDIO card are you using as the interface?
Happy

Post by Happy »

Correct me if wrong, but at the mixer side the ring is shorted to ground. Not sure the I7 outputs will like that.
indrek4

Post by indrek4 »

Thank You for Your answers. I must say, XLR connectors, not DIN (which is commonly on MIDI cable ends). It's easy to make special cables for TRS->TS: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/931075-how-build-1-4-1-8-stereo-cable.html (or see attachnent). With these cables I'll get stereo output from StagePas400i if I connect TS to Inputs (CH5/6). Thru Inputs (CH3) and (CH4) there is probably better S/N ratio but it will be 50/50 percent from both channels in both - mixed to mono.
It's different with my Sound Card and DAW: I use PreSonus FireProject Sound Card and MOTU DP8 DAW. I can use there SP/DIF coaxial cable (RCA connectors) for stereo signal for the best.

Thanks again,

Indrek
Attachments
TRS-TS cable.jpg
TRS-TS cable.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

indrek4 wrote:Thank You for Your answers. I must say, XLR connectors, not DIN (which is commonly on MIDI cable ends). It's easy to make special cables for TRS->TS: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie- ... cable.html (or see attachnent). With these cables I'll get stereo output from StagePas400i if I connect TS to Inputs (CH5/6). Thru Inputs (CH3) and (CH4) there is probably better S/N ratio but it will be 50/50 percent from both channels in both - mixed to mono.
It's different with my Sound Card and DAW: I use PreSonus FireProject Sound Card and MOTU DP8 DAW. I can use there SP/DIF coaxial cable (RCA connectors) for stereo signal for the best.

Thanks again,

Indrek
You're right, I had a "blank" moment... DIN is the norm, not the connectors type...
Yes, I meant XLR :-)

Regarding the Stagepas inputs, from the schematic diagram, the inputs 3/4 are the only balanced ones, all the others have the RING pole shorted to the ground.

If you have a SPDIF in your Audio interface, use it for the i7 channels 1/2, as it will give much better and quieter results if the synch is good. Use the i7 as the master synch for the digital connection.
indrek4

Post by indrek4 »

Thanks, I will.