Intergra 7 iPad Editor Question

Forum for Integra 7
muziksculp

Intergra 7 iPad Editor Question

Post by muziksculp »

Hi,

A Simple Question regarding setting up the iPad Integra 7 Editor.

I have my iPad in an Alesis ioDock2, and would like to edit the Integra 7, and at the same time use my DAW to trigger the Integra 7, the Integra 7 is connected via USB to my PC via a USB Hub. Can I connect my iPad via ioDock 2 to my PC to edit the Integra, since the Integra's USB port is connected to my PC for midi connectivity ? or does the iPad need to be directly connected to the Integra 7's USB port ? if that is the case, then How do I play the Integra from my DAW, and use the iPad editor at the same time ?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Macska

Re: Intergra 7 iPad Editor Question

Post by Macska »

I don't think that would work the way you said since they aren't directly connected.

I use the iPad editor with the Integra while it is connected to my computer by using the Netgear WNA 1100 N 150 wifi adapter. You plug it into the USB slot on the front panel and it will send a wireless signal that the iPad can connect to in the wifi settings. Then the editor will work with the Integra.

You can get these adapters for dirt cheap on ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-Wireles ... xy63FSpfpW

I purchased one for a few dollars and the shipping took less than a week. It's the best solution in my opinion because you don't have to disconnect and reconnect cables constantly, and it's a nice editor for what it does. I hope in the future Roland will make built in wireless cards in their synths because it's a nice feature to have.
muziksculp

Post by muziksculp »

Hi Macska ,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I will buy the wireless Netgear USB unit. and connect the iPad Editor via wifi to the Integra 7.

imho. The iPad editor is kind of limited in terms of functionality, since it doesn't offer a lot of the more powerful and deep editing capabilities that the VST-Editor offers. I use the VST-Editor with Cubase Pro 8 (Windows 8.1), I have been recently working with a new DAW, (Bitwig Studio), which does not support VST3, only VST2. and since the Roland VST-Editor is only available in VST3 format, I can't use it in Bitwig Studio. Kind of a bummer.

So, I though using my iPad to edit the Integra 7 is my second option to edit it while being able to play it at the same time, I was also hoping to see Roland add more editing features to the iPad editor. Not sure why they have not done so. I surely will be very cool if they did.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Macska wrote:I don't think that would work the way you said since they aren't directly connected.

I use the iPad editor with the Integra while it is connected to my computer by using the Netgear WNA 1100 N 150 wifi adapter. You plug it into the USB slot on the front panel and it will send a wireless signal that the iPad can connect to in the wifi settings. Then the editor will work with the Integra.

You can get these adapters for dirt cheap on ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-Wireles ... xy63FSpfpW

I purchased one for a few dollars and the shipping took less than a week. It's the best solution in my opinion because you don't have to disconnect and reconnect cables constantly, and it's a nice editor for what it does. I hope in the future Roland will make built in wireless cards in their synths because it's a nice feature to have.
Again Macska nailed it !! ;)
You are damn right

You really need to have the integra connected to the iO-dock via a Wireless adatpter in order to use the editor and to be able to fully use the Integra's USB Audio/MIDI interface to drive your DAW.

This is exactly as I use it, as I do have a iO-Dock too

Cheers,
PauloF
Macska

Post by Macska »

Thank you thank you Paulof, now when is Roland gonna hire us on salary to play with their synths all day and answer questions? lol

You know, I'm kind of kicking myself lately for not getting one of those Alesis IO docks everyone is talking about. I went to purchase one and got a Presonus Audiobox 22VSL instead because I wanted to use it with a laptop as well. Thing is, it doesn't charge my iPad so I have to take breaks if i'm doing a long unplanned jam on the iM1 and Thor!

I'm tempted to pick up a used akai synthstation 49 when I see a cheap one. That way my iPad synths will have a solid home that keeps them powered and I can pack it up like I used to with my JP 8000 and take it to jam sessions around town. I wish arturia would make a Keylab synthstation, I'd pay for something solid that made the iPad more of a living brain of the keyboard than something that dangles off and slides around my music stand.

Maybe I'm being weird but I like it when everything is compact and fits together, that's worth money to me!
Macska

Post by Macska »

And yeah muziksculp it's a shame the iPad editor was never full developed to use every synth on the Integra.

I've thought long and hard about that, and I think the reason is that it's more work than we think. Each SuperNatural acoustic is its own small synth engine in a way. So there would be all of these pages programmed for that, and then the PCM synth has an engine, so there's that. Plus you know we gotta have all of those cool pictures of the grey musician playing the instrument we select...it adds up. I bet it was an initial plan, but got shut off early when they needed to show the app off for marketing and then as is roland's way they left it at that.

I thank the gear gods every morning that Roland made a windows editor though.
IanLord

Post by IanLord »

Perhaps you guys can help. My understanding is that you cannot get the iPad i7 app to work wirelessly once you use the rear USB port to run your audio and midi on an iMac ? I thought you just had to rely on the i7 itself?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

IanLord wrote:Perhaps you guys can help. My understanding is that you cannot get the iPad i7 app to work wirelessly once you use the rear USB port to run your audio and midi on an iMac ? I thought you just had to rely on the i7 itself?
Welcome to the Clan IanLord!

Actually, the Wireless adapter needs to be connected to the Front Panel USB MEMORY port.

And YES, you can use the iPAD Editor wirelessly and still use the rear usb (AUDIO+MIDI) interface to connect to the iMac.