Fastest Way to Switch Tones

Forum for Integra 7
sarkywalrus

Fastest Way to Switch Tones

Post by sarkywalrus »

I don't know if I just don't have the right equipment but if I don't if I am switching sounds in the most efficient way.

I've got an i7 with an a-49 as my controller and I regularly use studio sets for live performance. Occasionally I will split the keyboard (which has it's limitations with 49 keys).

If I have a tone set per midi channel, for example, switching channel on the a-49 is cumbersome (don't know how many times during live shows I've thought I hit the function key then played some note instead of changing channel).

Can anyone tell me if there is a faster way to switch tones?
PauloF

Re: Fastest Way to Switch Tones

Post by PauloF »

sarkywalrus wrote:I don't know if I just don't have the right equipment but if I don't if I am switching sounds in the most efficient way.

I've got an i7 with an a-49 as my controller and I regularly use studio sets for live performance. Occasionally I will split the keyboard (which has it's limitations with 49 keys).

If I have a tone set per midi channel, for example, switching channel on the a-49 is cumbersome (don't know how many times during live shows I've thought I hit the function key then played some note instead of changing channel).

Can anyone tell me if there is a faster way to switch tones?
In my opinion, you should buy a controller that is capable of sending SysEx and Program Change messages, like the A-PRO range, as the A-49 is very limited, but nevertheless, Yes there is one way... although not very direct I'm afraid.
To lLet the A-49 to change StudioSets using the S1, S2 knobs for Program Change (PC). To be more precise, to Increment or Decrement it.
If you configure a Program Change say, between 1-64 and then transmit it on channel 16 (if Program Change is enabled on the Integra), then it will change the StudioSet accordingly from 1 to 64

For this need to have your Studiosets prepared in advance, but the combination of MIDI channels ( x the number of StudioSets (64) will give you 1024 total combinations.

You can use the MIDI channels as Banks and S1 and S1 to choose the Sound you want while changing the StudioSet.
sarkywalrus

Post by sarkywalrus »

Thanks for that.

Yeah, I bought the a-49 because cash was running low after buying the integra and I didn't really know what I was talking about.

To be fair, the knowing what I'm talking about hasn't really changed :)

Are you talking about programming the S1 and S1 buttons to change studio set? Or change the channel within a studio set? I don't use a huge amount of instruments

My current setup could be something like this for example
Studio set 1
Ch 1 - strings
Ch 2 - Trumpet
Ch 3 - Rock Organ
Ch 4 - Timpani
etc

Would the key programming move swiftly between the channels within a studio set?

Cheers
monosock

Post by monosock »

The way I use the Integra-7 live is combined with Mainstage 3 . If you have a mac, Mainstage opens up so many possibilities. For instance, you could create "Korg's Combi like" patches Velocity layering /splitting different sounds from different channels on the integra 7 triggered by your master controller. The way I change patches is with a footswitch assigned as "patch up" on Mainstage . So every time I change a patch on Mainstage, mainstage sends a MIDI bank and program change messages to the Integra 7 to the respective channel(s) that patch is made of . Another cool thing about this is that you don't have to worry about changing your master controller's MIDI channel as you go, you can use one single Midi channel on your master keyboard and tell Mainstage what channels you want to send to the I-7 for each Patch.

When I play live I use about 300-400 patches per show and my hands are normally busy so having a single pedal switch to change sounds on all my hardware and software instruments is the way to go for me.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

monosock wrote:The way I use the Integra-7 live is combined with Mainstage 3 . If you have a mac, Mainstage opens up so many possibilities. For instance, you could create "Korg's Combi like" patches Velocity layering /splitting different sounds from different channels on the integra 7 triggered by your master controller. The way I change patches is with a footswitch assigned as "patch up" on Mainstage . So every time I change a patch on Mainstage, mainstage sends a MIDI bank and program change messages to the Integra 7 to the respective channel(s) that patch is made of . Another cool thing about this is that you don't have to worry about changing your master controller's MIDI channel as you go, you can use one single Midi channel on your master keyboard and tell Mainstage what channels you want to send to the I-7 for each Patch.

When I play live I use about 300-400 patches per show and my hands are normally busy so having a single pedal switch to change sounds on all my hardware and software instruments is the way to go for me.
Humm... Awesome!

I think I definitely need to learn a few things about Mainstage then :-)