Do I sell my expanded XV5080 for Integra 7?

Forum for Integra 7
Emmerson

Re: Do I sell my expanded XV5080 for Integra 7?

Post by Emmerson »

The Integra-7 can't use all expansion slots at the same time. Only 4 which is quite a few.
If you don't need the money from the XV-5080 keep it as it is still awesome and has many many great sounds
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Emmerson wrote:The Integra-7 can't use all expansion slots at the same time. Only 4 which is quite a few.
If you don't need the money from the XV-5080 keep it as it is still awesome and has many many great sounds
OK, but on the i-7 it is very easy to load new Expansions into the Slot(s) if necessary, and will take a few seconds in case you send SysEx from a keyboard/Controller.

And with the XV-5080 you won't get SuperNatural Acoustic Sounds nor the new "SuperNatural" Synth sounds... (better call it Digital Synth Sounds).
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

The XV was only able to use 4 SRX slots at once too.

The SR-JV slots were available also, but seeing as much of the best stuff from that older card range was ported to SRX, there's little to be lost.

That said, the Special FX card was for me very tough to let go of as little if anything made it across to SRX. There was a similar situation with the Vintage board, although quite a few sounds apparently survived. The SuperNatural Synth engine should more than compensate for this however. Others have mentioned the Country card, and there may have been other boards who's sounds are no longer available, but for the most part there's no great loss.

Most of Roland's units that featured the newer card format didn't read the SR-JV format anyway, so as far as Roland was concerned the end user wasn't significantly handicapped.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Monkey Man wrote:The XV was only able to use 4 SRX slots at once too.

The SR-JV slots were available also, but seeing as much of the best stuff from that older card range was ported to SRX, there's little to be lost.

That said, the Special FX card was for me very tough to let go of as little if anything made it across to SRX. There was a similar situation with the Vintage board, although quite a few sounds apparently survived. The SuperNatural Synth engine should more than compensate for this however. Others have mentioned the Country card, and there may have been other boards who's sounds are no longer available, but for the most part there's no great loss.

Most of Roland's units that featured the newer card format didn't read the SR-JV format anyway, so as far as Roland was concerned the end user wasn't significantly handicapped.
...being so...the winner is... tchan...tchan...tchan...tchannnn

;-)
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

... the I-7, of course, Brother P!

Ba-da-boom!
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

This is well after the question was asked so by now the OP has probably either kept the XV-5080 or they didn't. But as a FWIW I'll be keeping my XV-5080. That gives me ability to keep and use my favorite SR-JV's and have four permanent SRX's PLUS choice of SN's or more SRX's or mixture of both (up to four anyway) using I7.

I will be getting an I7 this spring, another few months. As mentioned, I already own an XV-5080, it is fully SR-JV and SRX populated. I also currently own a Fantom XR, with the sampling add-on installed, that is also fully populated with SRX boards.

Sorry but there are a FEW, yes it is truly just a handful of SR-JV "sounds," beyond the FX card, that I use that didn't make it across, either at all or as expected, to corresponding SRX. Additionally, I've never been real partial to the Fantom XR - it's too "sterile, too "clean," too digital sounding (too "pop") hard for me to describe but the Fantom is, to me, the antitheses of "warm" and real.

Not to mention the XR is not nearly as easy to navigate as the XV-5080. Since I bought the XR I now only use it as an SRX expansion unit.

When I get my I7 I will be getting rid of the Fantom XR and some TBD number of SRX cards but keeping the XV-5080 and all my SR-JV cards.

The hard decision will be which SRX's I keep permanently in 5080, and maybe a few others "just becasue."
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Makes sense mate.

For what it might be worth, IMHO the INTEGRA is definitely not cold, harsh or sterile. I feel it's quite a lot warmer and clearer-sounding than the XV, and it's sweeter in the high end too.

Sometimes I wish I'd kept the XV (5080, fully loaded like yours) just for the speed of the interface, but I'd always planned on getting 2 INTEGRAs and using one for bread-and-butter sounds and the other for techie / dancey stuff. 4 boards would be permanently loaded in to each one with hopefully no real need to change them if I chose wisely which to default to. I figure with access to 8 boards at a time there'll be less need for editing anyway, and that is the area where I found the XV a whole lot quicker.

You'll love the sound of the I-7. I can guarantee it.