Integra 7 Problems? (Thinking about buying it...)

Forum for Integra 7
SynthesizedLove

Integra 7 Problems? (Thinking about buying it...)

Post by SynthesizedLove »

Hi everybody, I'm new here. :)
Thinking about buying Integra 7 but there are some complaints on the web about it. So, here are my questions:

1) It doesn't allow applying vibrato with aftertouch for Supernatural synth sounds, is it true?

2) It doesn't have supernatural brass ensemble but I think I can get ensemble with layering brass instruments and play more then one note, good idea??

3) It only supports stereo format with USB connection. (Not 5.1 or mono etc.) So, does it create much problem with producing pop or electronic music? Lots of people use stereo speakers and headphones... And also I think lots of produced songs are stereo format at the market. Does 5+1 only good for orchestral music composers?

4) Can I use 128 poly for each instrument? For example, create SN-A brass ensemble and play&record. And then play&record other instruments with using another studio set, or something. (So that way I can break the barrier of max. poly?)

5) I guess Supernatural and Pcm sounds have different tuning and quality. So if I combine them, I can easily spot that they don't match with each other...(but don't sure.)

6)How annoying this reverb problem with SN-A, SN-S sounds...

7) Some SRX cards have lower volume. (Especially dynamic drum kits). Does it true? Can I appy gain more and solve this problem?

8)Can it directly read studio sets, user created tones etc. from USB thumb drive?

9)What midi controllers can you suggest to me for controlling drawbars of organs. (The only midi keyboard I know is A-800 pro. It can send sysex messages with faders.)

Thanks for replies. :)
lol

Re: Integra 7 Problems? (Thinking about buying it...)

Post by lol »

Yeah the Internets have it all figured out indeed, and it's real bad my friend, but hopefully you're well informed, so don't buy it, this thing has so many major flaws, all of them so true and obvious to all users as the Internets figured it all out as they always do, and the users of this dope synth are ashamed about the problems, they don't participate to this forum anymore!

Thanks to you for revealing the truth from the Internets!, and a happy new year to you!

lol
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

lol wrote:Yeah the Internets have it all figured out indeed, and it's real bad my friend, but hopefully you're well informed, so don't buy it, this thing has so many major flaws, all of them so true and obvious to all users as the Internets figured it all out as they always do, and the users of this dope synth are ashamed about the problems, they don't participate to this forum anymore!

Thanks to you for revealing the truth from the Internets!, and a happy new year to you!

lol
Happy new year to both and Welcome to the Clan SynthesizedLove!

Wow, those are somewhat unfair assumptions lol!

Not all of those issues are correct... Beginning with the one
...and the users of this dope synth are ashamed about the problems, they don't participate to this forum anymore!
And ending with...
All that is true
I'll try to answer one by one to the OP questions on another post, as I'm answering from a handheld device...
lol

Post by lol »

Ok let's have some then!
1) It doesn't allow applying vibrato with aftertouch for Supernatural synth sounds, is it true?
[edit : sorry I read the question for SN-A and it's for SN-S, so my answer doesn't apply, and PauloF gives the appropriate reply below]
2) It doesn't have supernatural brass ensemble but I think I can get ensemble with layering brass instruments and play more then one note, good idea??
There are literally hundreds of brass ensemble patches in this synths, why add another SN brass patch?, what would it have brought new to it? Nothing, so there isn't, but individual brass instruments that behave much better than the Yamaha Motif's.
3) It only supports stereo format with USB connection. (Not 5.1 or mono etc.) So, does it create much problem with producing pop or electronic music? Lots of people use stereo speakers and headphones... And also I think lots of produced songs are stereo format at the market. Does 5+1 only good for orchestral music composers?
I believe you mistakingly answered the question yourself by the negative so...
4) Can I use 128 poly for each instrument? For example, create SN-A brass ensemble and play&record. And then play&record other instruments with using another studio set, or something. (So that way I can break the barrier of max. poly?)
128 poly per patch, really? seriously dude, come on! And again, an SN brass ensemble doesn't make much sense at all. For brass, just pick among the hundreds of brass patches, and if you need to solo the trumpet, now SN is your thing, otherwise, for a brass pad, a classic envelope is still the best way to lay it down..
5) I guess Supernatural and Pcm sounds have different tuning and quality. So if I combine them, I can easily spot that they don't match with each other...(but don't sure.)
"don't sure" is the best reply here I'm afraid...
What reverb problem? As it appears, the problem lies in the hands of the users who can't get hold of a grip, sadly. And then, what makes you qualified to distinguish a good from a bad reverb? I might be wrong here, but reading your worries, I would you wouldn't notice a problem at all with any aspect of the Integra-7's reverb.
7) Some SRX cards have lower volume. (Especially dynamic drum kits). Does it true? Can I appy gain more and solve this problem?
Well in standard really basic to the floor production technique, when sources amplitude mismatch, you want alternatively to lower the hotter signal and raise the master, but maybe the fashion has change nowadays.. You can apply up to +12dB to the master, to give you an idea, @+5dB my mixer flashes red..
8)Can it directly read studio sets, user created tones etc. from USB thumb drive?
Yeah on the Kronos users are allowed to create thousands of sets, and only 64 on the Integra-7, what a scandal! But what the hell are you doing of thousands of sets, if you cannot remember detailed parameters past the last 20 ones you used? And the answer to your question is yes and it's written in the documentation black on white.
9)What midi controllers can you suggest to me for controlling drawbars of organs. (The only midi keyboard I know is A-800 pro. It can send sysex messages with faders.)
One that does sysex for sure. Roland keyboards are good at handling sysex for instance. Setting the faders to respond to sysex was a nightmare on a Behringer BCF2000 for instance, but a breeze on a PCR800. Now, if you're an expert organ player, you'd like something more professional than that anyway, and if you're not, you're very unlikely to be able to play the parts and move the drawbars appropriately, so it doesn't really matter.
You're welcome, and sorry for the tone, but sometimes the Internets just get exaggeratedly idiotic in the psittacisme of their rant, and so that it gets a little monotone to say the least, hence the necessity of a few vivid words to restore the fun of it all...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

OK, Let me give my opinion...
--> The only parameters allowed to be controlled by Aftertouch on the SN-S Tones are the Cutoff and Volume

--> However, Vibrato can be controlled from The MIDI Controller Buttons (CC76 Vibrato Speed, CC77 Vibrato Depth, CC78 Vibrato Delay) or by setting a pedal to control one of the parameters (maybe the Vibrato Depth).
--> You can do that for at least two SN-A Tones, provided you set them to POLY, but the best is to use the EXTENSIVE Brass ensemble TONES available or LAyer the SN-A with PCM.
--> NOT true, as there is a lot of flexibility to switch between STEREO and MONO, but If your question is how to change between STEREO and MONO as a switch on the Integra, in that case no, it is not possible, but taking into consideration that you can set any PART to be OUTPUT to ANY AUDIO channel, then it is possible to set at as MONO in practice.

That also depends on the Destination DAW that can set to anything you like:

INPUT 1 = L
INPUT 2 = R
or
INPUT 1= Part 1 (as an example only)
INPUT 2= Part 2 (as an example only)

I don't use 5.1 myself, as I want to use the 8 available assignable OUTS for different Parts

I'm using it like this (all in STEREO):

SPDIF OUT (= OUT "A" = OUTS 1/2 = USB OUT)---> Main Synth Sounds (Ac.Pianos, El.Pianos, Ac. El and Lead Guitars, Organs, Poly and Lead Synths)
OUT "B" (= OUT 3/4) --> Basses
OUT "C" (= OUT 5/6) --> Strings / Pads
OUT "D" (= OUT 7/8) --> Drums
--> NO, it is 128 Note Polyphony for the whole integra-7 parts playing together
This is passive for a debate here :-)
- but you are referring to tuning, I don't see any difference
- Regarding sound quality, I don't see any difference either

The only thing that could be different is the number/ type of parameters that you can change on each one of them...
--> Behavior modeling on the SN-A (not existing on any other SN-S nor PCM)
--> More "accurate" sounds on the SN-A when comparing with the real instruments
--> Much more parameters to tweak on the PCM
--> What Reverb problem ???
I don't know about any reverb problem, although as a general ambiance parameter, reverb is always a very tricky subject, which is always a matter of opinion.

You can always use an external Reverb to tweak the Part and you like...
--> Yes, there are some differences in Volume when comparing with the other similar non SRX PCM Sounds, but don't think this is a problem, as when using them together with other sounds a good tweaking solves any issue related with that.

In my case, I barely have to adjust any volumes when using SRX in conjuntion with other non-SRX Tones...
lol already answered this one...
Any MIDI Controller SysEx capable will be ok. The Roland A-xxx PRO and PCR-XXX will be perfect for this, as they both do what you want.

P.S: I have both (A-800 PRO and a PCR-500)

I hope this will help you out in some way and definitely it's your choice, but if you are after a "bread-and-butter" Sounds synth with 6000 available Roland TONES, very good quality Sounds, Assignable OUTs and a very easy way to switch between Studio Sets, the integra-7 is a good choice.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything...

Take care and very welcome to the Clan!!
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

"5) I guess Supernatural and Pcm sounds have different tuning and quality. So if I combine them, I can easily spot that they don't match with each other...(but don't sure.)"

Mate, if the patches aren't tuned properly, it'd be a disaster for Roland in this day and age. I certainly wouldn't worry about that!
SynthesizedLove

Post by SynthesizedLove »

wormholewomb

Post by wormholewomb »

stop making it so hard, just get one ffs. its the best rompler out there
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

wormholewomb wrote:stop making it so hard, just get one ffs. its the best rompler out there
IMHO it really is one of the best Romplers around!