Can't set part level with sysex command

Forum for Integra 7
BruceV

Can't set part level with sysex command

Post by BruceV »

I'm attempting to set a studio set part level with a sysex command.

Here's a test that fails:

From the I7 MIDI guide page 9, temporary tone part 1 has address (19H 00 00 00), and from page 12, Part level has subaddress (00 09). I'm sending a DT1 sysex message with address (19H 00 00 09), and data value the level I want to set (00 - 7FH), but the level on part 1 of the selected studio set won't change.

I'm certain that my overall message format, including calculation of the checksum, is OK. Writing to some other parameters using the same utility works fine, and I can check the actual transmitted bytes with a midi stream analyser. It looks like either my interpretation of the addressing from the guide is incorrect, or there's some other block on that particular setting.

One other thing that looks sus, the section on page 9 says this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Temporary tone part 1 (19H 00 00 00)
Temporary tone part 2 (19H 20H 00 00)
Temporary tone part 16 (1CH 60H 00 00)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The maths don't look correct for 16 channels, with even address spacing I'd expect Channel 16 to be (1AH E0H 00 00). That confirms that maybe I'm not interpreting things correctly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA
lol

Re: Can't set part level with sysex command

Post by lol »

Well I'm not a sysex expert so I don't have a direct answer to your problem, but I would solve this issue simply and easily by catching the outgoing sysex from the Integra-7 to a freeware like MIDI-OX in order to read the sysex for this specific command and, eventually find out where the calculated code went wrong.

It's the easy way to map quickly the entire parameters from the Integra-7 commands directly into sysex. It certainly is a good way to learn from mistakes too.
BruceV

Re: Can't set part level with sysex command: SOLUTION

Post by BruceV »

I cracked it. The problem was incorrect interpretation of the midi address map. The correct address for part volume is as follows:

B3: 18H
B2: 0
B1: 20H + pn - 1 (pn = part no, 1..16, refer Pg 9, LHS)
B0: 9 (part volume)

Then the data byte, 0..7FH

Cheers