No sound, help appreciated

Forum for Integra 7
RvdVeen

No sound, help appreciated

Post by RvdVeen »

Hello,

A few days ago i went ahead and bought a (second handed) Integra-7. Somehow i do not have any Sound or moving volume bar on the integra's screen. I am not a super tech savvy guy so let me just note down what i did step by step:

Steps:
*Connected Integra-7 with USB 2.0 Cable to PC + Power Cable
*Factory Reset on Integra-7 + Changed USB Driver to VENDER
*Let Windows 10 install the Integra-7 driver (as advised on the Roland website)
*Install Integra VST3
*Open up Studio One 3 (DAW)
*Set up Integra-7 as shown below:
*Start up Integra-7 VST
*Playing notes, no sound (I do see MIDI actiivy from me hitting notes on my DAW). Also Preview wont work. Also nothing happening visually on the Roland itself.
*When pressing random buttons in the VST i get the message "Connection Error"
*K_Take's standalone editor wont produce any sound eighter.

Specifications:
*Windows 10
*Saffire Pro 24 Soundcard

Hope i got you a clear image of my problem. If you have any suggestions please let me know.. :)

Best Regards,

Robert
onerous

Re: No sound, help appreciated

Post by onerous »

Hello Robert,
Just follow instructions from this video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=3dfEFVzM9uc
Regards,
RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen »

Hello onerous,
Those instructions really helped getting closer to the solution! I can see the volume bar bouncing on the Integra-7 now when i press the keys, and the preview button on the VST Editor makes it play the song too (i see that visually on the integra)

The only problem left is: No sound.

Any ideas? i'll keep fiddling around in the meanwhile!

Thanks

Robert
onerous

Post by onerous »

Robert,
I'm not a super tech guy too, beleive soon you'll get the sound from your Integra.
The guy in mentioned video all explains simple, but too fast, so it's possible you missed something. Only after many stop and rewinds, I got the result. :)

1. check if your firmware is the last version, editor V2 demands that: Menu/ system/ versions. (My version is 1.21), be carefull when upgrading
2. Check your hardware connection with the sound card: push and hold volume knob, do you hear any sound?
3. I don't know how deep is you knowledge in Studio one. If you correct made an instruments tracks: one track for controling editor, and 16 tracks for midi, Select first one from 16 tracks, the blue one button must be active - what is in the "instrument output" field?
Regards,
RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen »

Heya onerous,
1. check if your firmware is the last version, editor V2 demands that: Menu/ system/ versions. (My version is 1.21), be carefull when upgrading
Hmm im one version around with the firmware. I read the notes from the latest firmware and i thought it wasn't that interesting. Guess i'll give it a go when i get home!
2. Check your hardware connection with the sound card: push and hold volume knob, do you hear any sound?
Nice, didn't know this trick. I'll give it a go. I did try the Demo track and i heard no sound when i selected that on the Integra-7
3. I don't know how deep is you knowledge in Studio one. If you correct made an instruments tracks: one track for controling editor, and 16 tracks for midi, Select first one from 16 tracks, the blue one button must be active - what is in the "instrument output" field?
Getting back on this tonight!

And maybe your right - It was in Chinese (i think?) after all so i might've missed something important!

Thanks onerous, i feel like it's gonna work in the end with the tips you gave me :)

R.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

RvdVeen wrote:Heya onerous,
Hmm im one version around with the firmware. I read the notes from the latest firmware and i thought it wasn't that interesting. Guess i'll give it a go when i get home!
Nice, didn't know this trick. I'll give it a go. I did try the Demo track and i heard no sound when i selected that on the Integra-7
Getting back on this tonight!

And maybe your right - It was in Chinese (i think?) after all so i might've missed something important!

Thanks onerous, i feel like it's gonna work in the end with the tips you gave me :)

R.
Hi RvdVeen,

Sorry to seem maybe too basic:

1- but did you try all possible OUTPUTS ? Phones out for example, while pressing the front panel button to audition parts?
2- in MENU, SYSTEM, AUDIO Tab - check the MASTER LEVEL
3- in MENU, SYSTEM, MIDI tab - check USB-MIDI Thru - should not be this as this won't prevent to audition Parts when pressing the front Panel Knob...
4- I'll suggest you do a factory Reset and then try again, by going to MENU, UTILITY, FACTORY RESET

Then try again from scratch, by
1- Auditioning Parts using the front Panel knob by connecting headphones to the PHONES OUT
2- Then do the same using the AUDIO Path INTEGRA USB --> PC (remember to check if in MENU, SYSTEM, AUDIO Tab, the "External Part Source Select"= USB AUDIO)
2- If it works, connect a keyboard on the MIDI IN and try it.
3- If it works you should be in business!!
4- Then try it from the DAW via MIDI and AUDIO
if nothing worked, I'm afraid you seem to have faulty unit...

I'm also suggesting you take a look to this PDF, despite not being very detailed, gives you a good overview of the integra-7!

Cheers,
PauloF
Attachments
integra-7_guidebook.pdf
Integra-7 Guidebook
(12.56 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen »

Hey onerous & PauloF !

So with all those ideas i got much further now: We got MIDI + Audio ... But only with my headphones!
I set the USB to VENDER and i set Ext part Source Select to USB Audio.

I feel like the last issue (no sound over my speakers) might be a software routing setting. Even though there isnt much to setup software-wise. I did test other VST's and those work fine over my Monitor speakers by the way.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

RvdVeen wrote:Hey onerous & PauloF !

So with all those ideas i got much further now: We got MIDI + Audio ... But only with my headphones!
I set the USB to VENDER and i set Ext part Source Select to USB Audio.

I feel like the last issue (no sound over my speakers) might be a software routing setting. Even though there isnt much to setup software-wise. I did test other VST's and those work fine over my Monitor speakers by the way.
When we get to that, the best is to begin with a clean sheet :-)

Now you have sound from the integra on your headphones! so must probably there is nothing wrong with the LINE OUTPUTS, but just in case, you can test them by doing this:

- Connect the AUDIO OUTS (all of them one by one or in Pairs - 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 directly to an AUDIO system and to route (for example):
Press PART VIEW,
Highlight Part 1 and set MIDI Channel=1 and Output= A
Highlight Part 2 and set MIDI Channel=1 and Output= B
Highlight Part 3 and set MIDI Channel=1 and Output= C
Highlight Part 4 and set MIDI Channel=1 and Output= D

Then test each one with the MIDI Controller using the MIDI channel 1. All Parts should sound simultaneously, each one from its own LINE OUTPUT.

Part1= OUT A (1/2)
Part2= OUT B (3/4)
Part3= OUT C (5/6)
Part4= OUT D (7/8)
Just connect each pair of outputs to your sound system, without the Computer in the middle.

If all works, we will then get to the USB AUDIO+MIDI subject...
RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen »

Hello PauloF,

Just tested and when i connect the Integra-7 directly to my speakers everything works fine! (kind of relieved lol).

So, as soon as i put the Saffire Pro 24 between the speakers and integra-7 it stops working.

*EDIT: Tried to switch the audio device in the DAW to my simple PC speakers and same situation: no sound from the integra.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

RvdVeen wrote:Hello PauloF,

Just tested and when i connect the Integra-7 directly to my speakers everything works fine! (kind of relieved lol).

So, as soon as i put the Saffire Pro 24 between the speakers and integra-7 it stops working.

*EDIT: Tried to switch the audio device in the DAW to my simple PC speakers and same situation: no sound from the integra.
OK, so now we know that the integra is fine soundwise and the problem seems to be with an Audio routing problem when using the Fucusrite card as the computer sound card...

Did you try putting the saffire a side for a while and try to use the integra as the sound card?
When you do that, does your DAW recognizes the integra as the sound card?

Let me know...

EDITED:
Ah...one more thing... what computer do you have and which OP.System/version?

Forget it...just realized it is a PC with Windows 10 :-P
RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen »

I'll set my Integra-7 as my Soundcard tonight and see what happens!

Just to be clear by the way: I don't NEED audio/digital outputs aside from the USB connection?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

RvdVeen wrote:I'll set my Integra-7 as my Soundcard tonight and see what happens!

Just to be clear by the way: I don't NEED audio/digital outputs aside from the USB connection?
That depends on what you want to do and what the saffire is capable of...I'll give some examples:

One important thing to have present:
--> The USB Interface of the integra only supports 2CH IN / 2 CH OUT ! equivalent to the Audio Channels 1/2

(example):
In case You have:
- Part 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,11,12,13,14,15,16 routed to AUDIO OUT A (1/2)
- Part 9 (Bass) to AUDIO OUT B (3/4)
- Part 2 (Strings) to AUDIO OUT C (5/6)
- Part 10 (Drums) to AUDIO OUT D (7/8)

Now you connect the i7 to your computer via USB. Only the AUDIO from the channel 1/2 will be passed on via the USB link!!

All other AUDIO Channels will have to be connected via AUDIO Cables to your Sound board (in this case 6 channels of audio) in order for you to hear the sound of those Parts (2,9 and 10 of my example).

In my case, I do have a Scarlett 18i8, capable of 18 channels of Audio IN and 8 audio out.
So I have:
- channels 1/2 (Main synth - all other sounds) connected via SPDIF to the Scarlett (Channels 9/10)
- channels 3/4 (Bass) connected via Balanced cables to the Audion Channels 3/4 of the Scarlett
- channels 7/8 (Drums) connected via Balanced cables to the Audion Channels 7/8 of the Scarlett

The remaining Scarlett iNPUTS (1/2 and 5/6) are being used for the MOXF and the Novation MiniNova.

Basically with this setup I can record 5 Stereo / 10 MONO Channels in one pass, which is awesome, but only with 2 channels of audio everybody can record Audio, having to use several passes, or use Audio and MIDI to minimize the number of AUDIO channels... In my case, I can use both :-)

I hope this helps
Cheers
PauloF
RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen »

So if i understand correctly:
Only using USB SHOULD work but only for Audio Channels 1/2 (Which dont work atm)
When i get home ill try to find 2 audio cables and connect those next to the USB to the Saffire Pro 24, see what that does!

R.
RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen »

I tried using my Integra-7 as my soundcard and connect the speakers to the Integra-7 and everything works fine... I guess we're sure its the soundcard now, and there's some setting software or hardware wise that isn't correct. I tried putting some audio cables between the integra-7 and the Saffire and still no sound that way...
rr2011

Post by rr2011 »

Have you verified that your Saffire MixControl software is correctly routing the audio where you need it?

I also use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, and know that if your MixControl audio routings are setup incorrectly you can definitely experience similar issues to what you are having now. You need to get the MixControl routings setup correctly before you'll have much luck working within your DAW.