Integra SN patches vs Jupiter 80 SN patches

Forum for Integra 7
spyraras

Re: Integra SN patches vs Jupiter 80 SN patches

Post by spyraras »

Ok, every opinion is acceptable. If someone owns or owned both please comment here you experience.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

blu3planet wrote:If it's synth tones you're mainly after the JP80 wins hands down for huge complex sounds. as I said the SN-S sounds on the I7 are just building blocks for the sounds you hear on the JP80. the JP80 has more than 2000 of those live/studio sets. It's useless to hear the technicals. hear it - they're nothing alike.

a "live set" is not about live performance (which you said you don't care about above) - a live set is the "patch" that you hear on every other synth. this is the JP terminology for it. the I7 has nothing in that domain.

I wanted the I7 for all those XV PCM tones and eventually found out that the SN-A tones are just so much better. but not for every situation. so I'm very happy with it. the synth tones are also great, but the JP80 is different. if I could afford one right now and had the space I would want to get one.

I don't think there's a winner because imho they're nothing alike.

Roland probably didn't want to shoot themselves in the foot with the JP80. so the I7 is not a JP in rack form. they do share acoustic sounds though.
@Blu3planet,
The whole question was on the number of Integra SN-S TONES when compared to the Jupiter-80... not to compare the two synths, as (and I fully agree) they are not comparable like to like, as we can see from my conclusions.
===>Conclusion:
Jupiter-80 wins on:
- Layering
- Number of available SN-Synth Tones (2048 against 1621)
- Arpeggiator
- versatility for Live Playing (2650 Live Sets / 256 Registrations)
- a very good keyboard.

- Integra wins on:
- Everything else
- Adds the User Drum Kits and 1408 PCM-S Synth Tones (4 Partials each)
- Adds 55 PCM-D Drum kits
- 8 MONO or 4 STEREO OUTS that each Part can be routed to
- 5.1 Ch Surround

- 256 Note Polyphony, 256 Registrations, each one with 4 Parts (Lower/Upper/"Percussion"/Solo) - Called a Live Set (2650 available), The Lower and Upper Parts can use up to 4 SN Tones, the Perc/Drums and the Solo Parts use 1 SN Tone (10 Synth Tones). Each SN-S Tone is composed by 3 Partials. This is a layer Monster, and the integra has no match for this, but...
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

I have both....

First thing to mention is that counting the tones the way you did does not work, even if your numbers are correct and the same as you will find in the roland's manuals....

Here is why: Some tones are not 'categorized' the same way for the I-7 and the J-80. For example the integra -7 list tones 50 to 71 as 'Organ' under SN-A type. Then if you look at the J-80 there is 0 organ tone listed in the SN-A category, but about 60 listed under the SN-S type?!? (tones 1744 to 1805)....

(Question open for debates: Is an organ an accoustic or an electronic instrument??)

Then I'm sure there's other tones falling under different names or moved from/to SN-A / SN-S. I personnally 'just' enjoy both for what they are and agredd that they are truly different beasts.

This being said I would say that for a typical studio workflow the Integra-7 is probably better because you have 16 parts that could be matched 1 to 1 with 16 channels and each of those parts consist of a single tone. This is pretty much clear and simple to manage, and certainly easier.

The Jupiter-80 is not this way. With Live sets, registrations and layers of tones it is much more powerful but also more 'complex'. As PauloF and blue3planet wrote before the Jupiter 80 will produce sounds that you definitively cannot achieve with the Integra-7. For this reason I strongly prefer the Jupiter 80 for live playing.

LA
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

As we were talking about patches I have a question.
We know that Integra has an XV-5080 inside it.
Does it contain all of the XV's waveforms?
We also know that it has an JV-1080 inside
Does it contain all of the JV's waveforms?
It is a well know fact, if im not mistaken that JD-990 (JD-800) is inside the XV-5080.
So since integra contains the XV does it contain all of the JD's waveforms?
DNGmaestro

Post by DNGmaestro »

The integra has many more new Supernatural Acoustic tones that are not present in the JP80.
Plus, it has the Supernatural Drums wich the JP80 doesn't.

The supernatural synth engine is exactly the same, the difference is the JP80 is made for performance, so it comes with an arpeggiator and it's built around a layering principle, so the synth presets reflect this.

You can obviously layer sounds easily on the integra but it's a tool made for studio.

If you're just after the Supernatural Acoustic sounds, then it's no contest.
The Integra has all the ones of the JP80 plus many new ones, plus Supernatural Drums, wich sound amazing.

As a BIG extra, it has the pcm sounds, wich are still really great.
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

Dng i prooved before that it doesnt have all of the Supernatural tones from the JP80. Can someone answer to this question?
Thank you
spyraras wrote:As we were talking about patches I have a question.
It is a well know fact, if im not mistaken that JD-990 (JD-800) is inside the XV-5080.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

spyraras wrote:Dng i prooved before that it doesnt have all of the Supernatural tones from the JP80. Can someone answer to this question?
Thank you
spyraras wrote:As we were talking about patches I have a question.
As far as I know, and without entering in details, the straight answer to all your questions is:

NO, the integra-7 doesn't contain ALL PCM waveforms from XV-5080, JV-1080 nor JD-990. Just a big part of them, but not all.
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

Τhe answer is yes i spoke with some Roland guys from my country and they confirmed that both machines have the same stuff. I also checked out their patch lists, xv and integra have the same pcm patches. Integra has srx and plus a pcm expansion set.
MatroSwe

Post by MatroSwe »

Two things:

1. Isn't the JP80 patches compatible at least recreatable on the I7?
2. Can someone explain the layering thing on JP80 some more? I layer all the time on the I7.
The only sad thing is the limited number of "Studio Sets" I usually have 2-4 sounds layered which means that I get 4-8 "layered tones" per Studio set.