Integra SN patches vs Jupiter 80 SN patches

Forum for Integra 7
spyraras

Integra SN patches vs Jupiter 80 SN patches

Post by spyraras »

Hello I'm about to purchase an Integra-7. All i wanted to ask from the Roland masters was:
1) Does Integra-7 has all of the Jupiter's SuperNatural Synth patches. If not is there a way to add them?
2) Also do the same patches sound the same at I7 and Jupiter 80?
Thank you.
bluesplayer

Re: Integra SN patches vs Jupiter 80 SN patches

Post by bluesplayer »

I have never had, or even used, any kind of Roland Jupiter so this may be incorrect but I think the answer is "mainly yes."

http://www.keyboardmag.com/combo---do-a ... dule/29168
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

Thank you very much for the response.
I asked because at the tone list it seems that integra is missing like 1000!!! Supernatural-Synth tones.
Jupiter80 sound-list (page 22): https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... -80_PA.pdf

Integra sound-list (page 6): https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... je01_W.pdf
blu3planet

Post by blu3planet »

this is what I understood about this subject.

the Integra 7 includes almost all of the SuperNatural Acoustic tones of the JP80. It also includes most of the SuperNatural Synth presets.

Thing is, that the JP80 - if you ever heard one, doesn't sound like an Integra at all. that's because every sound on the JP80 is a live/studio set (layers of up to 16 channels, which are at times layers of layers). a brass patch on the JP80 is made of atleast 4 SuperNatural Synth tones from the Integra 7.

so I'd say that acoustic wise they're almost identical. but the synth tones are nothing alike. the JP80 is crazy, because it's programmed in an amazing way. it has THOUSANDS of those live sets, while the Integra 7 has only 64.

The Integra 7 is a different beast to the JP80. to me is better because of all those amazing XV 5080 tones and all of the SN synth tones and acoustic tones.

I don't care if it's identical to the JP80 or not. Why should you? :)
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

Do you think that Integra "sounds" better than a JP-80 at synthesizer sounds (for studio use)?
Ι dont care about live performance Btw i already own a Fantom G7.
blu3planet

Post by blu3planet »

if money and space are not an issue, and you don't care about all the amazing legacy PCM XV tones, I'd definitely get the JP80. it's one of the most amazing keyboards in existence.
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

What is the difference between PCM and Supernatural Synth tones? Exept from the 4 tones per patch thing.
Btw i already own a Fantom G7.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

spyraras wrote:What is the difference between PCM and Supernatural Synth tones? Exept from the 4 tones per patch thing.
Btw i already own a Fantom G7.
In that case you already have a layer and PCM beast!
I regret not buying a G6 myself...and now can't find any available at a good price...

If I were you, I would use it to drive the integra, what a awesome combination must be!

Regarding the JP80 vs the Integra, the JP80 and Integra share the same basic aquitecture in terms of tone generation, but it ends there.

- JP80 is more a performance synth, a Super Layer Beast! using both SuperNatural Analogue and SuperNatural Synth tones as it's base.

- The Integra is more a Studio board, very versatile due to the flexible Tone Generation that combines StuidioSets, Supernatural Analogue, SuperNatural Synth and PCM from the XV5080 plus all the 12 SRX boards.
It can be used almost the same way as the JP80, with some careful programing and a good and multi zone Keyboard Controller.
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

Thank you so much for replying. So what i want to figure out is can i get from Integra the same or even slightly better synth sounds rather than using a jupiter 80?
Even if integra has 790 less Supernatural tones than jupiter has according to the tone list pdfs?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

spyraras wrote:Thank you so much for replying. So what i want to figure out is can i get from Integra the same or even slightly better synth sounds rather than using a jupiter 80?
Even if integra has 790 less Supernatural tones than jupiter has according to the tone list pdfs?
Maybe integra has less SN-Synth preset tones from scratch compared to the JP80, but you can use the following on the Integra:

A- Let's see the Integra-7

128 Note Polyphony, 64 Studio Sets, each one can use up to 16 Parts, each part can use any of the following Tone types

1- SuperNatural Tones

N-A (Acoustic)
PRESET: 256
USER: 256 (can load from up to 4 of the 6 EX-SN cards or create your own based on the existing ones)

SN-S (Synth)
PRESET: 1109
USER: 512 (can load from Axial web site or create your own)

SN-D (Drum Kits)
PRESET: 26
USER: 64 (can load from Axial web site or create your own)

2- PCM Sounds (the JP80 does not have these)
PCM-S (Synth)
PRESET: 896
USER: 256 (create your own)

CM-D (Drum Kits)
PRESET: 14
USER: 32 (create your own)

GM-2 (Synth)
PRESET: 256

GM-2 (Drum Kits)
PRESET:9

Totals For the Integra:
- 512 SN-Acoustic Tones
- 1621 SN-Synth Tones
- 1152 PCM-Synth Tones
- 256 GM-2 Synth Tones
Total: 3541 Synth Tones(1024 are USER)

- 90 SN-Drum Kits
- 46 PCM-Drum Kits
- 9 GM-2 Drum Kits
Total: 145 Drum kits ( 96 are USER)

B- Now let's see the JP 80 :
- 256 Note Polyphony, 256 Registrations, each one with 4 Parts (Lower/Upper/"Percussion"/Solo) - Called a Live Set (2650 available), The Lower and Upper Parts can use up to 4 SN Tones, the Perc/Drums and the Solo Parts use 1 SN Tone (10 Synth Tones). Each SN-S Tone is composed by 3 Partials. This is a layer Monster, and the integra has no match for this, but...

1- SuperNatural Tones
SN-A (Acoustic)
PRESET: 117 (compared to the 256 on the Integra)
USER: 0 (compared to the 256 on the Integra)
--> Integra wins by 395 SN-A Tones

SN-S (Synth)
PRESET: 0 (compared to the 1109 on the Integra)
USER: 2048 (compared to the 512 on the Integra)
-->Jupiter-80 wins by 427 SN-S Tones

Drums/SFX
PRESET: 16 (compared to the 26 on the Integra)
USER: 0 (compared to the 64 on the Integra)
--> Integra wins by 74 Drum Kits

Manual Percussion
PRESET: 8 (Integra does not have a direct match for these, but can use any of the 49 Preset Drum kits)
USER: 0 (Integra can use any of the 96 User Drum kits)
--> Integra "wins" by 139 Drum kits

2- PCM Tones (the JP80 does not have these)

PCM-S (Synth)
PRESET: 0 (compared to the 896 on the Integra)
USER: 0 (compared to the 256 on the Integra)
--> Integra Wins by 1152 PCM-S Synth Tones

PCM-D (Drum Kits)
PRESET: 0 (compared to the 14 on the Integra)
USER: 0 (compared to the 32 on the Integra)
--> Integra Wins by 46 PCM-D Drum Tones

GM-2 (Synth)
PRESET: 0 (compared to the 256 on the Integra)
--> Integra Wins by 256 GM-2 Synth Tones

GM-2 (Drum Kits)
PRESET: 0 (compared to the 9 on the Integra)
--> Integra Wins by 9 GM-2 Drum Tones

Total Tones for the Jupiter-80:
- 117 SN-Acoustic Tones (PRESET ONLY)
- 2048 SN-Synth Tones (USER ONLY)
- 16 SN-Drum Kits/SFX
- 8 SN-Manual Percussion Kits
Total: 2189 Tones (2048 are SN-S USER)

===>Conclusion:
Jupiter-80 wins on:
- Layering
- Number of available SN-Synth Tones (2048 against 1621)
- Arpeggiator
- versatility for Live Playing (2650 Live Sets / 256 Registrations)
- a very good keyboard.

- Integra wins on:
- Everything else
- Adds the User Drum Kits and 1408 PCM-S Synth Tones (4 Partials each)
- Adds 55 PCM-D Drum kits
- 8 MONO or 4 STEREO OUTS that each Part can be routed to
- 5.1 Ch Surround

;-)
blu3planet

Post by blu3planet »

If it's synth tones you're mainly after the JP80 wins hands down for huge complex sounds. as I said the SN-S sounds on the I7 are just building blocks for the sounds you hear on the JP80. the JP80 has more than 2000 of those live/studio sets. It's useless to hear the technicals. hear it - they're nothing alike.

a "live set" is not about live performance (which you said you don't care about above) - a live set is the "patch" that you hear on every other synth. this is the JP terminology for it. the I7 has nothing in that domain.

I wanted the I7 for all those XV PCM tones and eventually found out that the SN-A tones are just so much better. but not for every situation. so I'm very happy with it. the synth tones are also great, but the JP80 is different. if I could afford one right now and had the space I would want to get one.

I don't think there's a winner because imho they're nothing alike.

Roland probably didn't want to shoot themselves in the foot with the JP80. so the I7 is not a JP in rack form. they do share acoustic sounds though.
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

Thank you so much guys!
So there is a big misunderstandings about INTEGRA, keyboard magazine mentions that it has everything (tones) of jupiter but it is a huge lie (I dont know why they said that). Integra has 800 SupernaturalSynth tones LESS than JUPUTER and here is the deal. Do those tones make Jupiter-80 a better synthesizer (for studio use at synth sounds)? Or the missing Supernatural tones can be replaced from the PCM patches from jv and xv and srx series that Integra has and it can give better results?
blu3planet

Post by blu3planet »

you can't compare them for synth tones. Integra could have a MILLION tones less than the JP or a million more, but what you hear on the JP is not the tones themselves. try to understand that. it's not the same sound..
what you're doing is trying to justify yourself. you look for someone to tell you yes, you can replace this with that while the truth is both are very very different.
if you want to know more you must go and try the JP yourself.
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

You are very wrong at this point Im not trying to get a Yes. Im trying to get a YES or a NO from a Roland Engineer or from someone who have tested and compared both. It is imposible to play with jupiter in my country.
blu3planet

Post by blu3planet »

you'll not get a yes or a no because comparing the synth tones of the I7 to the synth "patches" of the JP is like comparing apples to oranges. good luck.