Interesting find: 4GB SDCard inside the Integra-7, what for?

Forum for Integra 7
lol

Interesting find: 4GB SDCard inside the Integra-7, what for?

Post by lol »

Hello,

Interesting perspective here, and possibly great developments for the future : I just stumbled upon this image of the inside of the Integra-7 http://synth-voice.sblo.jp/article/58425029.html

It clearly shows a SD card inside the unit, as stated on the blog post (in Japanese), a 4 GB Class 4 SD card (bottom right of the daughter board.) It's not unusual to find SD Card in Boss and Roland products, but it's usually to stock user audio data (like in Boss loopers for instance.) What is the need for a 4 GB re-writable media in the Integra-7, was it planed down the life of the product to include direct wav recording for instance, or sample expansions, or even onboard sampling? We need to find out!

I haven't opened my unit as it's still under warranty, but maybe someone with an early 2012 second hand unit (Roland warranty is 3 years when the Integra-7 is registered) and a screw driver (blu3planet?) wouldn't mind opening his and try and read this SD card to see what it is exactly stocking.

If it were only stocking programs and general settings, it would mostly be empty, but if it was able to load samples as well, we could gently ask Roland for a format specifications or an (even paid) upgrade someday. Maybe we could find a way to convert existing data to the Inegra-7 format at some point, or maybe just Roland would figure it out after having sold so many unit, it would b a good idea to reward the users with a great expandability for this device?

It's all hypothetical, but my first immediate guess is that we could go ask Roland at least for a firmware update opening to thousands of Studio Sets instead of 64...

But first we need to know what's on this SD card!

What do you think?
jerry_merry

Re: Interesting find: 4GB SDCard inside the Integra-7, what

Post by jerry_merry »

Could this be the temporary space that expansion slots are loaded into?
spyraras

Post by spyraras »

Wow Imagine a new OS update that will use the SD card for a certain purpose, who knows...
But it may be a temp place to save the expansion like jerry_merry said.
lol

Post by lol »

I don't believe a SD Card would be fast enough to read samples from. Most likely it's used to store user data.

If it were to permanently store samples sets, it would just beg for samples sets upgrade!!

Someone will eventually check it out what's stored on that sd card.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

lol wrote:I don't believe a SD Card would be fast enough to read samples from. Most likely it's used to store user data.

If it were to permanently store samples sets, it would just beg for samples sets upgrade!!

Someone will eventually check it out what's stored on that sd card.
I believe this is for loading the 4 SRX /EXSN Slots, but maybe our forum mate K_Take (developer of the Stand-Alone Integra Editor) can answer that for us, as the site you are listing is his.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

The Korg M3 has a 1GB SD card inside (in the circuit board). This SD holds the OS and the samples. But the files are all in .bin format and the samples are pcmdata.bin, I think it is raw data.
lol

Post by lol »

Oh my mistake I had not realize the original post on the blog was from K_Take! Let's hope he reads this thread at some point and will be willing to talk about what he found on this sd card. In the meantime, if someone else is opening his Integra-7, maybe it's worth loading the sd card onto another reader and check it out its content.

Well, if it appears the sd card stocks the samples banks and the OS and the user data, then we really have to ask Roland to either update/upgrade the module, or to free the samples format so that we can add our own samples sets to a bigger sd card!
iowagold

Post by iowagold »

add me in to the guys who want more space in the Integra 7!!
that would be cool to be able to add more studio sets and sounds than what is now in the units...
I ran in to the low sound sets thing tonight...
limit of 512 I think on the user sets.
wish it was in the thousands!!
right now I think I will have to get 3 more of the integra7 units just to be able to load all the sounds I need...
lol

Post by lol »

Actually it's 64 studio sets only (not 512, 512 would mean 512 sets of 16 instruments/channels with all the settings, that would be quite a gig list!), but you can add all you want and load directly from a USB flash drive...

Same goes with presets patches from axial or else, you can load on the fly from a USB flash drive if you want
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

... and of course we should be able to have all boards loaded at the same time...
adriangin

Post by adriangin »

The SD Card has SRX and SNx data.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=52617