Thought my integra was broken

Forum for Integra 7
xCDx

Thought my integra was broken

Post by xCDx »

When I make a sequence with an electronic drum sound like a 909 kick or similar I notice distortion sort of like pop and crackle more like conflict. It was only there when a sound from the synth bass or synth lead category was playing at the same time that's all I noticed it from thus far. It might happen with other sounds. Please let me know if you know this to happen under the same circumstances that it's an integra wide problem so that I can have peace about my integra.

Thanks
sino13

Re: Thought my integra was broken

Post by sino13 »

You need to describe more details. Did you try to send sound over usb or main outs. If so how loud? To me it sounds like you are clipping converter in integra or your soundcard. In any way you should provide more info so we can help you out..

edit: just for the sake of conversation - i am making EDM as well and i can run 4x909 and 4x808 patches and not have any distrotion unless i really want it...
xCDx

Post by xCDx »

I actually don't make edm but same deal either way. What I should clarify is that if I use an electronic kick in a track and choose something from the synth bass or lead category to be one of the tracks, then I get a converter like distortion everytime the beat loops around right where the kick sounds and the lead or bass sounds. It doesn't happen with all kick and synth bass or lead combinations either, but some kick and sound combinations cause this distortion. What I'm saying is that when I use a certain kick and then if I use a certain lead then I'll get this pop crackle distortion only when the kick plays while the bass or lead plays at the same time. Not all kicks will cause this distortion. Here's another point, if I get distortion while using a certain kick while a lead is playing then if I change kicks I won't even get distortion. This only happens with some basses and some leads it might even happen with other sounds from other categories. Plus the outputs I used weren't USB, I was using the main xlr outputs. But the main outputs, outputs A do the same thing. It doesn't strike me as a volume problem but I'll double check. The volume I use is about halfway but it varies.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

IMHO it's a volume problem.

At first I assumed you were doubling up, without realising, the kick and bass sounds out of the same (separate pair or whatever) output, but now that I hear you're pumping everything though one stereo pair, this must surely be the issue.

Probably just a lot of LF content, more so for the EDM kicks and bass, and that's probably why it occurs more frequently with those sounds.

If you're sure the clipping's occurring within the INTEGRA, dial it back. I'd check that it's not the input to your sound card or mixer that's clipping 'though. IIRC, the I-7's output's pretty hot.
xCDx

Post by xCDx »

You know it still does that and I don't think its a volume problem. Same thing happens... different drum and sound combinations make distortion sorta like converter distortion. I write it off as a system design flaw an oversight made by Roland. I write it off as imperfect.
LKingston

Post by LKingston »

it sounds like you are describing note stealing when you run out of polyphony. Have you tried using the voice reserve function?
xCDx

Post by xCDx »

Actually I'm not going thru voice stealing. But the way I figure its just an Integra 7 flaw that's across all units. I'd be hurt if it was my unit that was faulty but rationalizing it must be design flaw.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

xCDx wrote:Actually I'm not going thru voice stealing. But the way I figure its just an Integra 7 flaw that's across all units. I'd be hurt if it was my unit that was faulty but rationalizing it must be design flaw.
I never realized any problem like that on my integra and I use intensively all its outputs, including the Digital, that I use to interface with the focusrite Audio interface for channels 1/2 .The other outputs are connected via balanced cables to the Focusrite's Audio Inputs.

Can you describe how you have the things connected and also what patches are you using, so I can simulate with mine?

Thanks
PauloF
psionic311

Post by psionic311 »

Too much low end is over powering your sound playback system...

To prove it, try this.... use the EQ to cut back the low frequencies, say everything under 300Hz, until you can't stand it. Make it so that it sounds so tinny like an AM radio with no balls at all in the low end. Now crank up your volume a little more. Did the distorting go away?
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Why don't you post a recording of what you are hearing?