UART or normal mode

Forum for Integra 7
dnewhous

UART or normal mode

Post by dnewhous »

Is there any need for a modern Digital Audio Workstation to run in "normal" rather than "UART" mode as defined in the original MPU-401 manual?

Re: MT32 versions

Postby bjt » 2016-10-24 @ 03:27
Everything you need to know about "intelligent" mode (normal mode in Roland parlance) is here:

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/sound/MP ... Manual.pdf
Happy

Re: UART or normal mode

Post by Happy »

I could not find that link, but, YES there is a need, but not possible anymore. Most, if not all, MIDI hardware is now "UART" mode (what you find in USB etc..) and they are stupid, uh.... not intelligent. Modern DAW don't support an "intelligent" interface, alike what the MPU support, It could support slow PC's and still provide accurate MIDI clock, recording and playback. (My first C based language sequencer I wrote was for a 4.77MHz XT clone and worked great). When PC's became faster this intelligent mode was not needed and UART mode became common. (Personally was not aware of that being more than 20 years not looking into synths). Interestingly found out that even today lots of MIDI equipment suffer from poor MIDI, even worse than the MPU series intelligent mode. The truth is that it is not about faster PC's, actually UART (serial port) hardware is simple and cheap but resulted in inaccurate timing however apparently it was considered good enough for the "masses". It's a pity no manufacturer is interested to set a new or bring back a better standard for MIDI and musical instruments. Cheap UART mode will be the way forward, probably forever. that is what is called "innovation" or "progress" (another word for selling cheap and low quality stuff for high prices, robbing your pockets to keep the investors happy instead of making great products out of passion). Feel ashamed technology has come to a point like this being used by many companies to rob people's money instead of actually trying to be being useful and honestly improve creativity and society. Younger generations are not even aware how they are being cheated by large technological capitalistic organizations (unless they are of the same greedy breed). Anyhow Good luck ! (BTW planning to rebuild an old PC/AT with my old MPU-401 for fun, if it still works)

http://everything.explained.today/MPU-401/
dnewhous

Re: UART or normal mode

Post by dnewhous »

Does UART include the MIDI beatclock on the MIDI out?