Integra-7 Buyer

Forum for Integra 7
lespaul72

Integra-7 Buyer

Post by lespaul72 »

I live in Los Angeles (home of Roland USA) but haven't been able to find an I-7 to demo myself at any dealers, even the "Big Box" guys on Sunset.

I've joined the forum today and can hopefully get some feedback from present owners?

I'm a guitarist and keyboard player with the guitar being my primary instrument.

I currently own the Nord Electro 5D and am looking to add a synth (the synth tones in the Nord are just "OK").

As far as synthesis goes, I'm practically a beginner ... so taking that into account, I've played quite a few in the last month and decided that I need a poly synth that someone like me (beginner, not an experienced synthesist/programmer) can get around on fairly easily.

I've whittled the list of synths down to 2:

Integra-7
DCI OB-6

(I know they're different animals). My use will be for recording at home and to use on gigs.

On the Integra-7, I've been looking at some posts today re: connecting to iPad. I was wondering if it's possible to connect the Roland to my 4th gen iPad ?? If I'm reading correctly, some folks are using a dock?
I'm skeptical about using a wireless connection with a USB N150 WiFi wireless adapter. Very much prefer a hardwired connection.

I'm also wondering which controllers folks are using along with the I-7?

BTW, I did try the System8 2x, but found it to be much more complicated than getting around the OB-6 or Sub37 (mono).

Anyway, would appreciate any thoughts owners of the I-7 may have.

Thanks in advance!

Don
voxg

Re: Integra-7 Buyer

Post by voxg »

Hi Don, you can use the camera connection kit to plug the iPad into the Integra-7 via USB. SuperNatural synth editing is okay on the iPad app, but it's not going to be anything like editing on the OB-6. They're so different, I'm not sure how to advise further...

As for controllers, I've used a bunch of different things with the Integra-7. Mainly I use a Korg Kronos in Combi mode to control both Kronos sounds and Integra-7 sounds at the same time. Any good quality MIDI controller should work, though.
lespaul72

Post by lespaul72 »

Thanks for the info, voxg!!!

I can't tell if you can name your patches whatever you like (on the I7)?

As far as the I7 vs OB-6 programming:

What are the pluses/minuses (to a beginner)?

Thanks in advance.

Don
voxg

Post by voxg »

Yes, on the I7 you can name your patches whatever you like.

Each person will have different needs and priorities, so take the following with a grain of salt.
  • OB-6 wins for tactile control (real knobs vs. iPad app)
  • OB-6 wins for real analog sound
  • OB-6 wins for quick inspiration, having its own keys, etc.
  • Integra-7 wins for patch memory capacity (huge)
  • Integra-7 wins for sample-based sounds (sound like something other than a synth)
  • Integra-7 wins for small size to integrate with other gear via MIDI etc.