controlling part volumes live on same MIDI channel

Forum for Integra 7
paradox

controlling part volumes live on same MIDI channel

Post by paradox »

I am using a Nord Stage 2 as a controller for my Integra-7. As there are only 2 usable simultaneous MIDI channels, I have to assign different parts to common MIDI channels. I have some patches that have several parts.
The trouble that I am having is with trying to control individual part volumes. I can set up the starting volumes but as soon as I adjust one level on a specific MIDI channel, it affects all of the parts that are assigned to the channel (that part makes perfect sense).
Unfortunately, when I use the iPad mixer to control levels, the individual part volume controls have no impact on the actual part volume. They do respond (as a group) to the one of the single part faders. I can selectively Mute parts. For example if I have Parts 1, 2, 3 on MIDI channel 14, only the part 1 fader will work and it will equally affect parts 2 and 3.

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
voxg

Re: controlling part volumes live on same MIDI channel

Post by voxg »

If you're using an iPad anyway, you could keep the 16 parts on their own channels and use an app like Midiflow or iMIDIPatchbay or AUM to copy your MIDI messages from the 2 channels on your Nord to the many channels on your Integra-7.

If you prefer not to have an app intervene between your Nord and your Integra-7, you could use sysex messages to control part volume. An app like MIDI Designer or TouchOSC would be able to do it, I think. The following would change the volume of channel 1, where VV is the volume and CS is the checksum.

Code: Select all

F0 41 7F 00 00 64 12 19 00 00 09 VV CS F7
paradox

Post by paradox »

Thanks VOXG,

I appreciate the useful suggestion. I'll try it out and let you know how things turn out.
swahl

Post by swahl »

I have run into the same problem controlling the Integra 7 from an Ensoniq VFX (yeah, it's old, but I like the feel of it's keyboard). I normally have the Integra sounds on separate channels, and do splits or layers from the controller.

For some reason, I tried to do this on the Integra end, creating a split so one midi channel was divided into two sounds. But I didn't want them at the same level; yet incoming volume changes from my pedal reset the level parameter in the part for all parts on that channel to be the same. What I want is for the incoming messages to change the overall level, but the individual sounds maintain the same proportion to each other.

I don't have anything between my keyboard and the integra doing MIDI modification (at least not yet); if I did, I would try sending in Expression (cc 11, I think?) in place of volume (cc 7).

I wonder if might have individual control over how much of the part goes to the main mix vs. effects sends, I haven't looked there yet.

Otherwise, it's in to editing the patches to reduce the level -- I'm not even sure that's possible with some of the SN sounds.