Is this the right product for me?

Forum for Integra 7
Radagast

Is this the right product for me?

Post by Radagast »

IMy situation is that I'm running a small pit band for a theatre, and I have made some MIDI files to accompany us and fill in the sound so we sound better (ie. bigger).

In the past I have just played the files on my FP-7F which does a serviceable but not great job at it. However it's an annoyingly large piece of equipment to squeeze into the pit just to play those files.

So I've been looking for options that would be a) smaller and b) sound better. Would the Integra 7 suit my purposes? I can't seem to find any info online about whether or not it can be programmed to just play MIDI files. I suppose we could hook a Windows computer up to run it but ideally we'd be able to pre-program it and play off a USB stick or something like that.

The multi-channel out may also be useful as we could put different instruments on different outs and the sound guy can balance it properly rather than as a whole.

Any hints or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! My local store can get one in for me to rent but I can't really seriously try it out beforehand and the budget is pretty limited so i can't afford to rent it and then it turns out to be useless.

Thanks in advance!
rayshek

Re: Is this the right product for me?

Post by rayshek »

In my opinion, you should buy a korg pa600 or pa900. Because it has a brilliant feature which name is Songbook. This is a database that you can easily to organize your midi and mp3 with Touch screen, and you can change only one click.
Arranger keyboard also has many sophisticated style and patch, you can easy to program the chord progression and patch.
Hermax

Post by Hermax »

The Integra will give you fantastic sounds but it has no midi player inside. You need the Roland BK-7M. :-)
Radagast

Post by Radagast »

BK-7M looks interesting but it's also significantly cheaper. I know it has far fewer tones, but for those it does have how does it compare sound-quality-wise to the Integra and to my FP-7F?

There's no mention of Supernatural but on the other hand I'm not sure my FP-7F uses Supernatural for MIDI playback either...

Will the Integra do what I want it to do if I have it hooked up to a PC?
Radagast

Post by Radagast »

Alternatively, would the BK-7M run the Integra-7?
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Radagast wrote:Will the Integra do what I want it to do if I have it hooked up to a PC?
Yes!

In this case you will also need some software that can 'play' midi files on the PC and send midi out to the Integra. You may also think about using an iPad or Android tablet or phone for size consideration.

Just about anything that can play midi files from a very fancy DAW app (eg cubase) to things like synthesia will work. This can get very confusing as most software will also do many other things such as actually making sounds from the midi file itself.

There's so many apps that can do that on any platform (Win, Ipad, Mac OS, Android) that a 'tough' challenge for you is to find the app that you will like the most. The good thing is that many app that will do the job are free or inexpensive.

Your basic requirement for the software are:
- Can read midi files
- Can send midi (to the Integra)

Again, you will probably not find any app that do only that. Everything I've seen do lots of other things (that you don't need) too...

Have a look at "Audio Evolution Mobile Studio" for android for example. This thing will do what you want and tons of other things. You even have a 16 track built-in mixer and it cost only $6.99...

Hope this help

LA
Radagast

Post by Radagast »

Pretty much everyone seems to have a different idea, here and at the local music stores.

If I posted like a 15-second midi file would someone be willing to record it on the Integra and/or one of the other options suggested so I could hear what it might sound like?
rayshek

Post by rayshek »

i have integra-7 and korg pa4x.In your situation,I suggeste you choose korg arranger keyboard, because integra-7 need more equipment and laptop. roland also has arranger keyboard but sound worse than korg.Even though integra-7 can work, but korg more convenience if you master songbook feature of korg pa series.
Radagast

Post by Radagast »

If any of you wouldn't mind doing a quick recording for me? I made a snippet of a MIDI file and I wouldn't mind hearing what some of your suggestions sound like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxme9j6a2ikml ... i.mid?dl=0

Somehow share an mp3/flac back or email it to me at dcmallon@rogers.com

Thanks!
Radagast

Post by Radagast »

Also for comparison here is how that midi sounds on my FP-7F:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkqxibqv6nejc ... F.mp3?dl=0
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Radagast wrote:Pretty much everyone seems to have a different idea, here and at the local music stores.

If I posted like a 15-second midi file would someone be willing to record it on the Integra and/or one of the other options suggested so I could hear what it might sound like?
IMHO you're asking the wrong thing...

I think that what you should really ask yourself are:
- How important is the sound?
- How important is the worflow? (ease of use)
- What is your budget?

Sure the Integra could sound better than the FP-7F. Then arranging and selecting the tones (patches) on the Integra may result in much bigger or thinner sound, or simply 'different'. The point here is that it's often a matter of personal choice and most important is how YOU want it to sound with the band.

Likewise, using an arranger, such as the korg pa 600 or 900 will certainly make it easier as everything is tightly integrated in one box. This is certainly a good choice if YOU prefer to go for something easier to use although this may not sound as good as the Integra.

Then what about going OTB completely? Same kind of result could be achieved with a PC running a DAW with some VST instruments. This is one (small) box solution that could be much cheaper and, well, should certainly sound good enough for backing tracks since good songs are now entirely produced OTB. In this case even an iPad could do the job....

LA