Drumkits Integra 7 vs TD-30

Forum for Integra 7
hoeksms88

Drumkits Integra 7 vs TD-30

Post by hoeksms88 »

Hi,

I have owned a Roland D-50, XP-30, an XV-5080, an R-8M, and I have always liked the specific Roland drum sounds. A few years ago I sold everything, and switched to VSTs.

I have tried Addictive Drums, Superior Drums, NI Studio drummer, NI Abbey Road, etc, but I can't seem to get my drum sound right. They always sound kind of 'acoustic'. I guess I like the 'produced' sounds that Roland offers. I really like the way roland drums sit in the mix.

So now I'm started to have doubts about my switch to VST's, and I have listened to the new SuperNatural drum sound that Roland has been offering for the past few years. In my opinion the TD-30 has the best sounds. The First Kit ('Studio') sounds fantastic. The TD-50 comes closer to a real drumkit, I guess, but as i said, I like the produced sound.

Because I am not a drummer, and want to use it as a sound module in a DAW, it would be kind of silly to pay 2000 for a drum module. So, I'm looking for a sound module with the TD-30 Kits.

I have looked at cheaper modules from the TD series, but I also looked at the Integra 7. It is a lot cheaper than a TD-30, and I would also have all my old sounds of the XV-5080 back.

So, my question is: can anyone confirm that the supernatural drumkits of the Integra 7 are exactly the same as the drumkits of the TD-30.

Thanks.
cactusprick

Re: Drumkits Integra 7 vs TD-30

Post by cactusprick »

I have no experience with TD-30 but the OP of this forum has laid out some aspects in a good detail.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/pr ... s-expander

I have owned TD-7 many years ago and prefer Integra 7 sound to that.
hoeksms88

Post by hoeksms88 »

cactusprick wrote:I have no experience with TD-30 but the OP of this forum has laid out some aspects in a good detail.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/pr ... s-expander
Thanks. This was very helpful.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

I've got the TD-30 brain for use as a module only. Did the same with the TD-20.

I only had a cursory listen when I first bought the INTEGRA, but I felt straight away that whilst the SN drums were very good, they weren't quite up to the TD-30's standard. A bit grainier and less-pristine, if you will.
hoeksms88

Post by hoeksms88 »

Monkey Man wrote:I only had a cursory listen when I first bought the INTEGRA, but I felt straight away that whilst the SN drums were very good, they weren't quite up to the TD-30's standard. A bit grainier and less-pristine, if you will.
Thanks for your input. Do you feel that the sample quality is the same, but the presets of the Integra are different from the TD-30 (ambience, EQ, etc)? Or is the sample quality of the Integra drum kits actually lower that the sample quality of the TD-30?
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Hmm... you're testing my memory here...

All I remember is that the sound was "less-pristine" and more-grainy. It was as if a lower sample rate had been used.

I doubt many would notice this unless the two were played side-by-side 'though, so if it's only the audience you're concerned about, I wouldn't be. For your own satisfaction 'though, and possibly for discerning listeners, I'd suggest you'd definitely prefer the TD.
hoeksms88

Post by hoeksms88 »

Thanks Monkey Man,

I guess I will have to try to find a local dealer somewhere in The Netherlands who has both the Integra 7 and the TD-30, so I can compare them thoroughly.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Yes, it looks like you have no other option, mate.

If my music room was finished I could make clips for you comparing the two, but it's still going to be a while until I have all the gear to record (long journey!).

With any luck it won't be too hard to find a store with both. Good luck, man!
xp50player

Post by xp50player »

Only had my Integra-7 for 6 hrs, but here goes.

First, the Integra-7 has only 168 available instruments in the Supernatural Drumkit section. The TD-30 has 1100, not including the 200+ backing instrument sounds used by internal MIDI songs and pad-triggered patterns.

The TD-30 has 3 simultaneous stages of ambience/reverb, fully programmable and individually adjustable for each pad, in addition to overall kit resonance adjustable for the kick. In the Integra-7, all of that is reduced to one Ambience parameter 0-127 for the whole kit. There is also a send to the main reverb/chorus for each drum.

Both have an MFX, and the Integra-7 has 6 compressors/EQs that drums can be assigned to. On the TD-30, every pad has its own compressor/EQ, the there is a Master Compressor.

The Integra has flam/roll articulations, but the TD-30 has pad position sensing and continuously variable hihat pedal control, which, from a drumset, can produce articulations not available in the Integra.

The fancy instrument-specific modeling parameters found in the TD-30 are not there in the Integra-7, replaced by basic synth parameters like tuning,attack, decay and brilliance.
hoeksms88

Post by hoeksms88 »

xp50player wrote:The TD-30 has 3 simultaneous stages of ambience/reverb, fully programmable and individually adjustable for each pad, in addition to overall kit resonance adjustable for the kick. In the Integra-7, all of that is reduced to one Ambience parameter 0-127 for the whole kit. There is also a send to the main reverb/chorus for each drum.

Both have an MFX, and the Integra-7 has 6 compressors/EQs that drums can be assigned to. On the TD-30, every pad has its own compressor/EQ, the there is a Master Compressor.
This is very useful! Thank you for the detailed comparison. By now I am convinced that the TD-30 is the best choice, if I want the best Classic Roland Drum sound.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

No mention of sound comparison? I mean, that's what it's all about, isn't it?

That said, I'm sure that comprehensive feature comparison's handy for hoek and the forum. Thank you!

I'm curious as to whether you or anyone else can confirm my memory of the INTEGRA's kits' sounding "grainy" compared to the TD...