What do you think will be the end of the Integra 7?

Forum for Integra 7
hag01

What do you think will be the end of the Integra 7?

Post by hag01 »

I now seriously consider the Integra 7.
I already considered it once, but that was when I wanted\needed something for productions, so eventually I preferred to buy a DAW and a bunch of VST softwares.
But now I want\need some high end loaded keyboard or a module for live performance.
The main indecision is between Korg Kronos, Integra 7, or some kind of software rig.
(The above was to explain why I'm getting back here, considering the Integra 7 again, after all these years...).

OK to the point:
So considering the Integra 7 led me to think, this thing was released in 2012, it is pretty old.
Do you think the Integra 7 will has a successor eventually, and if so, how many years we would have to wait until we will see it happening?

Another option I thought of, is that the Integra 7 will be discontinued.
Considering that no manufacture except Roland takes modules seriously, and considering that so many instruments had discontinued by Roland in the last few years(Jupiter 80, Fantom series, etc...), I wouldn't be surprised if the Integra 7 will be discontinued somewhere in the next few years.

What do you think?
Monkey Man

Re: What do you think will be the end of the Integra 7?

Post by Monkey Man »

I think that there cannot be a successor in the true sense of the word 'cause the INTEGRA gathers Roland's ROM-library history and jams it into a single module. No new ROM boards have appeared (AFAIK) since, so the "entire" history is represented.

Of course, I've always wished that the 4-board-loading limitation wasn't there, but everyone has minor quibbles that from Roland's point of view, I assume, couldn't justify a new model.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

hag01 wrote:I now seriously consider the Integra 7.
I already considered it once, but that was when I wanted\needed something for productions, so eventually I preferred to buy a DAW and a bunch of VST softwares.
But now I want\need some high end loaded keyboard or a module for live performance.
The main indecision is between Korg Kronos, Integra 7, or some kind of software rig.
(The above was to explain why I'm getting back here, considering the Integra 7 again, after all these years...).

OK to the point:
So considering the Integra 7 led me to think, this thing was released in 2012, it is pretty old.
Do you think the Integra 7 will has a successor eventually, and if so, how many years we would have to wait until we will see it happening?

Another option I thought of, is that the Integra 7 will be discontinued.
Considering that no manufacture except Roland takes modules seriously, and considering that so many instruments had discontinued by Roland in the last few years(Jupiter 80, Fantom series, etc...), I wouldn't be surprised if the Integra 7 will be discontinued somewhere in the next few years.

What do you think?
Monkey Man wrote: I think that there cannot be a successor in the true sense of the word 'cause the INTEGRA gathers Roland's ROM-library history and jams it into a single module. No new ROM boards have appeared (AFAIK) since, so the "entire" history is represented.

Of course, I've always wished that the 4-board-loading limitation wasn't there, but everyone has minor quibbles that from Roland's point of view, I assume, couldn't justify a new model.
Hi Hag01,

My opinion is similar to the one given by Monkey Man (Hi mate... long time no "see").
Integra-7 is one those machines that I don't see Roland replacing, for several reasons:
- One being the unique machine that I7 is merging old PCM and SuperNatural, that I don't see Roland developing further (especially the SuperNatural Analogue)
- the other being the path the company is going, completely away from this type of synths.

Korg Kronos is another league of instruments, and it was on my radar instead of the little Kross 2, but that was what my money could buy in exchange of the things I sold (Yamaha MoXF, Roland TR-8, Roland DS-61)... :-(

Nevertheless, even after buying a Yamaha MX-49 (Motif XS sounds that I missed after selling my MoXF) and a Korg Kross2 to complement my sound palette, I did just that... complementing with new Combinations and ARPs, as to me, the Roland sounds are TOP notch and much richer than the other two manufacturers boards. At least in this price range.

In one word, Integra-7 ? irreplaceable!

Cheers,
PauloF
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Agreed.
gizzardgullet

Post by gizzardgullet »

PauloF wrote:the other being the path the company is going, completely away from this type of synths.
If you don't mind me asking, can you describe what you mean by "this type of synth" and, more important, what direction is Roland going in with their synths? To put it another way, could you differentiate what they are moving from and to?
SoundReverend

Post by SoundReverend »

The latest synths in that category on their web page are from the FA Series I believe, and they state "inherited from the flagship INTEGRA-7". So what could come next? Improved samples, more voices, more ROM "slots" and a better patch memory strategy. I could imagine an Integra 8.

Question is: Does one like the 6k sounds of the Integra and is the price ok for it. If you answer both questions with yes: go buy one :-)

Oh, but it of course might be discontinued soon, no one knows. And you should download the Integra iPad Editor before that happens... (Jupiter 80 owners know what I am talking about)
LouisB

Post by LouisB »

SoundReverend wrote:Oh, but it of course might be discontinued soon, no one knows. And you should download the Integra iPad Editor before that happens... (Jupiter 80 owners know what I am talking about)
I've downloaded the Integra 7 app to three iPads! Having recently re-purchased the Jupiter 80 and finding the highly valuable editor app no longer in existence, it was galling.
arfy

Post by arfy »

So... 4 years later. Is the integra discontinued now? From what I can tell, it is indeed Roland's last module. We now have much of the srx content, the XV-5080, and the ZenCore engine of the fantom in software.
But. The SRX's are incomplete, no SRX01, or SRX05. Some of the other srx boards are missing patches.
The SRX software seems to be based on the EXP expansions that came out for the FA series, and these also carry over to the EXZ expansions for zenology. Same applies for those, too.

In short, I think the integra is still worth it!
LivingEdge

Post by LivingEdge »

I think so. I recently bought 2 Integra-7's.
I guess that means I have 10.2 surround...
"twice as good as 5.1". 🙂
Happy

Post by Happy »

Since Zen core is very close to the Integra hardware (go checkout the similarities of the internal design and registers in the reference manuals), It probably will be an Integra "8", "X" or "Zen" with the Zen core with all possible Zen functionality .But it may only be released once Roland has fully exploited the Zen core in as many different products as possible. so it may be still be years from now... In the mean time enjoy the I7 :-)
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

My "brand new" Xp-30 with one (soon two) ROMulator boards from Sector101.com ! :D ;)
drpopper

Post by drpopper »

Integra 7 is indeed still in production (or is available from Roland's stash) ....
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Integra7 is a fantastic synth. I'm amazed that it has been in production as long as it has (in the same way that I'm amazed that the System 500 modules are still in production - they have now been available longer than the System 100m modules were available!) There really is nothing that needs to be updated in the I7 in my opinion; if you care to build your own sounds this synth is incredibly deep, if you just prefer playing presets there are scores of them which sound amazing. An incredible module, so glad to own one.
Ethermynd

Post by Ethermynd »

As a Roland modules long-time aficionado, and after having installed a couple of their (expensive) SRX software expansions, I am seriously considering to acquire an Integra in 2023. The reason behind this choice, from my perspective, is that lately I am more and more realizing how software instruments are partly a false saving strategy.

They have become increasingly complex and resource-hungry across the years, with the recent Roland re-issues of old hardware in software form being no exception. I have personally verified that using in a DAW environment multiple instances of the SRX virtual ROMplers may led to system overcharge and unwanted x-runs, even on relatively high-specced desktop computers like mine.

That is why I think Roland are keeping the Integra 7 stock alive, and why there are people who still prefer not to resort to computer-based synthesis, in complex multi-channel Midi orchestrations.
melvinhare

Post by melvinhare »

Agreed

Still using one live - Polyphony limitations notwithstanding. Just easy on the sustain and multiple midi channels.

K-Take software for editing / saving Studio Sets on Mac OS X.
Roland software for mute/ volume levels on iPad.

Keeping it until they possibly release a similar higher space unit with easier access to > 4 SRX cards.

M