*Some* Instruments Without Sound

Forum for Integra 7
LittleReg1

*Some* Instruments Without Sound

Post by LittleReg1 »

I have an Integra-7 using three MIDI keyboards on three separate 'parts' (channels). All of the keyboards trigger the MIDI selections fine - i.e., there is strong reaction on the signal indicator on the front panel. As I scroll through the parts and trigger the sounds from the keyboards, however, there will be a number of instruments that barely have any volume output despite the strong input signal.

I've performed random checks of the MIDI settings for instruments, but all are showing 127, which seemed to be the default pre-edited setting (as it should be). Does anyone have any ideas why some sounds have proper volume and some don't?

Thanks!
Darksheer

Re: *Some* Instruments Without Sound

Post by Darksheer »

It might depend on the kind of patch. I find that e.g. the I7's SuperNatural drum set is much quieter than the legacy SRX card's "Dynamic Drums" set. Maybe this is in order to leave more headroom, since some patches might have greater dynamics?
LittleReg1

Post by LittleReg1 »

Darksheer:

I suspect that the problem has little to do with the settings of the individual voices. When I use the headphones to monitor the sounds, all are there, all are perfect.

The problems with the erratic quality come when I'm using Channels B, C, and D out the back of the unit. The effects on many of the sounds are all broken up and the volume is reduced to almost nothing.

Why would there be a difference in the quality of the sounds between the headphones out and the outputs in the back?

Thanks.
Hermax

Post by Hermax »

Something to do with motional surround?
LittleReg1

Post by LittleReg1 »

I have no idea. I am simply attempting to screen the signs with the default settings of the box right from the factory. It would seem to me that a user would have to go through some complex editing in order to reproduce the problem is I am having with the sounds right now.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

LittleReg1 wrote:I have no idea. I am simply attempting to screen the signs with the default settings of the box right from the factory. It would seem to me that a user would have to go through some complex editing in order to reproduce the problem is I am having with the sounds right now.
Picking up on the word "Default" that you used here. Are you routing the various parts to outputs B,C & D? Or are you just plugging an audio cable into the outputs without routing first? If you haven't actually routed a part to an individual output, it will default to output A, but it *will* bleed through the other outputs. The result of that bleeding is a very quiet, sometimes broken up sound. Unfortunately it's a known issue with the Integra, but once you've routed parts to the other outputs, it's barely noticeable.
LittleReg1

Post by LittleReg1 »

I’m actually routing three MIDI keyboards via three different “parts” (channels), and mapping each in the Parts dialog on the box to outputs B, C, and D. I am not using output A. Besides, one would think that if it’s about bleeding, then this would be true for all voices not just for some. The details of how you’re describing the bleeding, however, seems to be fairly accurate in terms of the sound quality. However, I don’t understand why the pre-programmed effects would be so hosed.

Long story short: my expectation is that what I’m able to monitor with phones is what I hear from an amp out the back. Thanks.