Horn Articulations

Forum for Integra 7
Diaperjim

Horn Articulations

Post by Diaperjim »

Any tips or tricks for Horn Articulations.
From what I’ve seen Falls, do-it’s and shakes are velocity controlled.

Highest octave could be a shake, mid high range has another zone with falls.
All over the top of zones over lapping these “articulations” with their natural ranges.

Is this what most guys use?
And I’m speaking in terms of live performance, recording would obviously be multi tracked.

Thanks

JV
harmonizer

Re: Horn Articulations

Post by harmonizer »

I'm not sure if I can answer your question directly. I get to "cheat", in that I play the sax and my son plays trumpet. When we mix in additional horn sounds from my Roland synth, we sometimes add a trombone sound (which I think is the easiest to emulate via a rompler), and sometimes add a B3 organ sound. There are many rock songs where an organ plays along with the horn section phrases.

If I were to add horn sounds from my Roland while not playing any real horns, I would start with a trumpet and tenor sax sound playing in unison an octave apart (this is the classic "oreo cookie" sound combination: the trumpet provides the crunchy outside, while the sax provides the inside filling). Then I would add a B3 organ sound, and I would try to not let the emulated horn sounds get too exposed. You want to be on the lookout for the cheese factor, and my opinion is it is better to have the horn sounds slightly buried than to have them overexposed.

The Integra's Studio Sets provide a lot of flexibility for using splits and layers. If you keep the trumpet and tenor sax sound as unison an octave apart, the setup of your studio set remains simple. if you want to add specific harmonies that deviate from keeping the trumpet and sax an octave apart, then you are probably talking about setting up a Studio Set which is specific to one song. I've done this for specific songs; it really depends on whether you have that much desire to do extra setup work for a single song.

Sorry I could not answer your question about articulations. I have heard there are some nice brass sounds in one of the EXP downloads from Axial, but as an FA owner I only get to use 2 of these, and I need both EXP2 and EXP5, so I'm done looking at the EXP downloads. I think you get to use more EXP sounds than I do.
Diaperjim

Post by Diaperjim »

Axial and ESP. New terms for me, I shall research it.

Thanks
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

I have heard there are some nice brass sounds in one of the EXP downloads from Axial...

This is news to me, brother. Any further info?
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

For FA owners, these threads mention the sounds from EXP-07 ("Brass Collection"), which has the sounds from the old SRX-10 card:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48965
https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 55&t=53762

I have read statements that the Integra comes with the equivalent of all the old SRX cards, but also read that you can only have 4 loaded at a time, so it's not clear to me how visible these would be to an Integra owner if they were not looking for them. I have not tried the EXP-07 sounds myself in my FA.