Logic Pro/ iPad connection

Forum for Integra 7
AlfredGA

Logic Pro/ iPad connection

Post by AlfredGA »

When the iPad is connected to the Integra7 for selecting instruments it uses MIDI thru. But this cuts off the connection to Logic Pro so the selected instrument can’t be recorded. Is there any way to have the iPad and logic pro connected without toggling MIDI.
hobbit

Re: Logic Pro/ iPad connection

Post by hobbit »

Hello AlfredGA

Welcome to the forum!

Please describe your connections "iPad to Intergra" (USB with Apple Camera Connection Kit?) and "Integra to Mac/Logic Pro" (MIDI? Audio? what connectors) as precisely as you can.

Best regards, hobbit
AlfredGA

Post by AlfredGA »

Hi Hobbit,
Thank you for responding to my query.
I’m connecting the iPad wirelessly to the I7. The I7 is connected to Logic Pro via usb. I have 16 midi channels on logic set to receive different instrument sounds from the I7. I’m using the Fantom6 as my controller which is connected to the I7, midi out to midi in.
Thanks for any help.
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

The I7 is connected to Logic Pro via usb. I have 16 midi channels on logic set to receive different instrument sounds from the I7.
What exactly do you want to "receive": the MIDI signals of what you play on your Fantom keyboard or the Audio signals produced by your Integra? The Integra can pass through MIDI signals (working as an interface between your Fantom and Logic) or send audio by USB, but not by MIDI channels.

Best regards, hobbit
AlfredGA

Post by AlfredGA »

Thank you hobbit for your answer. I hadn’t realised that the i7 only sends audio via usb to Logic and not midi. I wanted to receive midi from the i7 on Logic as I thought it could send both. So Logic is only recording audio from the i7 and not midi with my set up if I’ve understood you correctly.

Thank you for help.
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

The Integra CAN pass through MIDI signals to Logic by USB MIDI, but then we are not talking about "instrument sounds" (or waveforms). If you set MENU > SYSTEM > MIDI > USB MIDI Thru to "ON", then the MIDI signals generated on your Fantom keyboard and sent to the Integra by the 5-PIN MIDI cable should be forwarded to Logic where you can record them on a MIDI track. The Integra can ALSO send its audio signals to Logic (then you record the instrument sounds) if you have the Integra 7 driver provided by Roland installed on your Mac and set MENU > SYSTEM > SETUP > USB Driver to VENDOR. Audio signals are recorded to audio tracks in Logic.

Best regards, hobbit
AlfredGA

Post by AlfredGA »

Thank you hobbit for taking the time to explain the midi routing etc. to a beginner like me. I now understand what I am doing and how my system works. You’ve been a great help.
Thanks again.
Alfred
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

You are welcome!

Don't hesitate to post further questions if things don't work as you expect or want to.

Best regards, hobbit
AlfredGA

Post by AlfredGA »

Thanks Hobbit for that offer. I may take you up on it!