Controlling volume parts via MIDI IN device?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Tom_Air

Controlling volume parts via MIDI IN device?

Post by Tom_Air »

Hey, does anyone know if it possible to control the volume of the studio set (up to 16 layers) and the audio tracks with an external controller via midi in?

I thought of utilising something like this Image as in a gig we need quick and easy volume control, especially since everything is coming through the same output (all keys, all audio loops and tracks, I have another thread regarding this).

If I can attach one of those small cheap midi controllers then it will make it much easier to control the part playing volume on the fly.

Cheers!
progferbrains

Re: Controlling volume parts via MIDI IN device?

Post by progferbrains »

Hi...

Yes, that device will certainly work on the FA's studio set.. sending a basic cc 7 to the relevant channel does indeed turn up/down the targeted part and the screen mixer fader on the FA moves to indicate the modification. However, when you say the "Audio Tracks" please don't get too hopeful, there are no real audio tracks on this device - just a few samples it's not like the Juno G was and the sequencer has no dedicated audio tracks. You can fire off samples of a vocal take whenever you like. You can decide which PART they become a part of.. so there's the answer. I think!

Andy
Tom_Air

Post by Tom_Air »

Thank you.

By the way, the nano control apparently won't work as it is usb only.
I need a traditional midi connection, thinking about the uc33.

And yea, there are no "audio tracks" but there is also no limit on the length of a sample, so it essentially can be a playback of 4 minute song... My idea was to trigger 4 of those simultaneously (drums, fx, keys, etc) and then be able to control their volume and eq. This way I can take elements from the original production from cubase and incorporate it in the live set up. Playbacks, but with control over them.

Since it looks like the FA-06 can't trigger the samples in sync (it is not part of the sequencer right?) then I won't be able to do it there, as pressing 4 trigger pads together is not always exactly in time (synced).

Unfortunately looks like I'm "stuck" with bringing a laptop and audio interface for this function, that has been around for over a decade now with laptop setup, but not even one manufacturer brought it to the market of the below £1000 and below 8kg keyboard/workstations
progferbrains

Post by progferbrains »

Tom_Air wrote: Unfortunately looks like I'm "stuck" with bringing a laptop and audio interface for this function, that has been around for over a decade now with laptop setup, but not even one manufacturer brought it to the market of the below £1000 and below 8kg keyboard/workstations
Heh!! Yeah, that laptop's still around for me too, can't wait for the day when I can leave it at home, but whatever anyone promises in their latest bit of kit usually falls short of what it can actually do. You mention you're gonna need an audio interface for the laptop still... but here you can save some hassle - The FA 06 IS an audio interface, and it's outperforming the two I used previously. Plus the fact that the audio from the POOTER is nicely presettable, so in the end you just hook the laptop to the FA with just one USB cable and you're away. With the other USB post on the laptop - you could, say, use that nice nanocontrol?? Just wondered...

Andy