Midi Implementation for control surface

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
cam777cam

Midi Implementation for control surface

Post by cam777cam »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone smarter than I has been able to put together a midi controller for the fa - or at least fathom out the required midi codes?

What I'd really like to create would be a simple way to mix each of the parts in real time (control the volume) within a Studio Set & maybe solo/mute (although I could use the pads for that). If I could get that working then I'm sure it would be just the beginning!

Anyway, I've used MidiDesigner for iPad in the past to put together control surfaces for solftware synths and also my Juno2 (HS-80). MidiDesigner is easy to setup and fully functioned - but I'd need to know the codes and values to send? I'm afraid the midi implementation chart doesn't do much for me....
MidiDesigner allows you to send CC, Note, NRPN, Sysex, etc - so I'm hoping that might be enough?

I recognize that changing the volume for a part is a bit more involved than just a CC7 on a given midi channel as each part can be assigned to a different midi channel (or many parts to the same channel)

Any thoughts or anyone able to help?

Thanks heaps.

Cam.
andyr1960

Re: Midi Implementation for control surface

Post by andyr1960 »

Unfortunately, it looks like every controller uses Sysex not CC's, no mapping either.

I'm currently working on an editor (of sorts!) using Midiquest, but so far it's been a PITA. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much work for Roland to edit the Sysex codes in the Integra 7 editor to make it compatible with the FA06/08, but sadly they seem to have decided not to do this.
cam777cam

Post by cam777cam »

So, can I assume that no-one knows how to read the midi implementation charts?
Pitty - I was really keen to try to build a midi interface but need some help to decipher them!

Cam.
Candy

Post by Candy »

http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... d=63078453

Here you can load the complete MIDI-Implementation with all informations.

Candy
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

I have encountered many problems with the MIDI interface not being compatible with the Integra-7.
Too many to mention all but many are basic oversights. Many techie friends of mine and a Yamaha rep with great knowledge of MIDI have all failed to get basic commands working.
Bearing in mind Roland UK has not resolved any of my queries from 4 weeks ago and I was sold the equipment on the basis of ease of use controlling the Integra-7 in a live setting I am returning it.
The shop has been very good, but Roland have given me no answers whatsoever and I fear have lost a long term customer. Perhaps they will resolve these issues with a software update but as there is no way of knowing if or when I can't afford to keep it as it is to replace my RD-700SX. I will possibly re-purchase one when I can see issues have been resolved. Until then I will keep my trusty RD-700SX.