Controlling the rotary effect via pedal/dBeam?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
0kk0p3kk4

Controlling the rotary effect via pedal/dBeam?

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

Hi,
I am wondering how I can control the rotary speed on hammond sound the same way, as it is naturally via s1 button?
Meaning, pressing it activates it and keeps it that way, until pressed again. I have tried with a sustain pedal and an expression pedal. The sustain pedal works so that Speed is on when its pressed down, but its not like the press would "activate it" and keep when lifting the foot off the pedal. Instead I need to keep my foot on the pedal as long as I want to hear the faster rotation. Expression aka volume pedal makes the same thing, kind of, but it doesnt speed down when moving it back to "first position".

Is this matter of some setting, or do I need a different kind of a pedal or what do you think?

Also I tried using via dBeam but its not like on vk-8m, like waving your hand on it, the speed is activated and kept, until waved again. So dBeam acts the same way on fa-06 as the pedal, I have to keep my hand on it to maintain the rotation.

If I made any sense on explaining, do you have views on this?
wd8dkyy

Re: Controlling the rotary effect via pedal/dBeam?

Post by wd8dkyy »

Hi. A momentary footswitch (like a damper pedal on a piano) works just as you described. It will only change the rotary to fast speed when you're holding it down. I couldn't find any way in the menus to set the pedal inputs to "latch" like you can the panel switches.

I ended buying a latching guitar switch to use (it was about $15). When I press it once, the speed switches to fast. When I press it again, the speed switches to slow.

Hope that helps~
Candy

Post by Candy »

When you set the S1 or S2-button in Latch-Mode, it keeps the registration you did (for example Fast rotary-effect) until you press the button again. With the D-Beam this is not possible, same at pedal. Another possibility is, to switch the Rotary-Effect with one of the knobs in Assign-Mode (for example left is Slow and right is Fast). Try it!

Candy
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

Candy wrote:When you set the S1 or S2-button in Latch-Mode, it keeps the registration you did (for example Fast rotary-effect) until you press the button again. With the D-Beam this is not possible, same at pedal. Another possibility is, to switch the Rotary-Effect with one of the knobs in Assign-Mode (for example left is Slow and right is Fast). Try it!
Candy
Got it work, thanks. I would prefer a footswicth use though.

wd8dkyy wrote:Hi. A momentary footswitch (like a damper pedal on a piano) works just as you described. It will only change the rotary to fast speed when you're holding it down. I couldn't find any way in the menus to set the pedal inputs to "latch" like you can the panel switches.

I ended buying a latching guitar switch to use (it was about $15). When I press it once, the speed switches to fast. When I press it again, the speed switches to slow.

Hope that helps~
Okay, I went to by one but it doesnt do the trick. Its like the expression pedal, activates and keeps it but second click does nothing. Is the reason that my setting is wrong or pedal just dont do it?
wadrad

Post by wadrad »

I had a similar problem, and ended up buying a latching switch for the pedal 1 input, and assigning it the midi CC that turns the rotary speed high or low. Interestingly S1 has a latching setting, but P1 doesn't. Both my Nord Electro module and even my cheapo Casio XW-P1 let's me assign the sustain pedal to the leslie speed setting.

I was also disappointed that the d-beam didn't offer the ability to "latch" (stay on) when you wave your hand through it. Roland really misses some easy things sometimes, and I'm hoping they'll fix things like this with an OS upgrade.

This (using the latching switch plugged into P1) works great when I can hear the keyboard well-enough. My problem now is if the band I'm playing with is a little too loud, I have a hard time hearing if the leslie effect is on or off. And there are no indications (lights, something on the menu screen, etc) to indicate if rotary speed is fast or slow.

Soooo...because of that problem, while playing live, I'm still using the S1 button very often to activate and easily see what the leslie speed setting is if I can't clearly hear it.

Cheers,
WadRad
Candy

Post by Candy »

I have to correct my previous statement. It is very well possible, to control the rotary-effect by pedal. You need a pedal, which can switch between the two possibilitys "on" and "off".
Rotary-Effect can be manipulated bei Controler 1 (Modulation). Set the Assign of the pedal to Controller 1, then it will work!
Together with a Ocean Beach Digital DB-1 Drawbar-Controller you might have a real organ!

Candy