FA-08 connected to Integra-7

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Emmerson

FA-08 connected to Integra-7

Post by Emmerson »

I have my FA-08 connected to the Integra-7 and want to choose a sound for a studio set that's in the Integra-7.
I can't seem to find out how I choose the BANK LSB MSB setting so I can choose the sound from the Integra-7.
PauloF

Re: FA-08 connected to Integra-7

Post by PauloF »

Emmerson wrote:I have my FA-08 connected to the Integra-7 and want to choose a sound for a studio set that's in the Integra-7.
I can't seem to find out how I choose the BANK LSB MSB setting so I can choose the sound from the Integra-7.
I'm not a FA expert, but I think you can't do exactly what want, at least not that way, as the FA does not have External Control like the Fantom G, Kurzweil PC3 series, Korg Kronos, MOXF or dedicated MIDI Controllers have.

An alternative is to reserve some MIDI Channels to do this. For example, use the Channels 1-8 for the FA itself and Reserve the 9-16 to control the integra (or any other combination that suits you). This way you have up to 8 Parts available on each machine, all controllable from the FA. This is the way I would do it if I had only a FA and an integra.

In order to get the full power of the 16 simultaneous Parts on both boards, and to be able to control properly the integra, I suggest you get a MIDI Keyboard Controller with Aftertouch like the CME-70, the A-800 PRO, the MPK series from Akai Pro, etc

Anyway the FA is more a performance Stand-Alone Synth than a controller...
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

You could also use an iPad with the app 'Set List Maker', which enables you to program midi program change messages. You can store the desired Integra sounds (MSB/LSB/PC values) for each song in the app, and it's just a finger tip to change the Integra sounds from song to song. The iPad 2 is on offer at the moment, the app is very cheap (you need its midi extension), in addition you need a midi interface, the best one is iconnectmidi2+ (or 4+). Altogether it wouldn't cost much more than a Roland controller A800pro, but the A800pro is NOT capable of storing long lists of MSB/LSB/PC messages like SetListMaker.
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

Thanks for your help guys.
I already have a MIDI controller and bought the FA-08 to simplify my setup.
The guy in the shop thought it could set the tones for the Integra via the MIDI interface and pretty much control it via MIDI as my previous keyboard could (RD-700SX)
If possible this would allow me to set everything up on the FA-08 via one switch.
However using 9-16 for the Integra is a good idea.
Problem here is making sure that if I change the settings on the FA-08 it doesn't affect the Integra-7.
Unfortunately there seems to be no way a masking out any transmitted codes and therefore what comes out of the FA-08 also goes to the internal part of the FA-08.
This means that both the Integra and FA output sounds. All TX codes are output including control codes.

Need a way to isolate certain codes so that the FA-08 can be seperate sound wise.
At present my MIDI controller can set the sounds but I have to perform with a big list of numbers for each gig.
The FA-08 studio sets could be dialed in by name and used to set the Integra sounds. Frustrating !