Export/Import Studiosets

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
bennyseven

Export/Import Studiosets

Post by bennyseven »

Hello,
unfortunately (we discussed in the "FinalCountdown Patch!" thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48873) FA allows us not to export a single tone or studio set by a dedicated system function. Now I tried out what the BULK DUMP function could help to save single tones or studio sets instead using the BACKUP/RESTORE.

So I have found a solution to 'export' studio sets, for individual backup purpose or for example to share sounds with other people. Maybe it is helpful for you, even though it is obvious that FA likes DAWs...

I used a PC sequencer for recording the midi data from the FA via bulk dump, then playback with the sequencer transfers the data back to the FA memory. The manual says, one could send tones or studio sets, however I can't do this. It will be always dumped the studio set which is loaded actually into the memory. This includes all changes within the set or tones, because this is stored in the memory until you save it.

To be compatible with alle the DAW software (I did use Samplitude) it is useful to export the data out of the sequencer in a single Midi file.

Have fun,
bennyseven
Machinations

Re: Export/Import Studiosets

Post by Machinations »

Thanks Bennyseven for that.Have you had any issues importing midi files into sequencer?Most times I try,the tracks all merge into one track?Is there are setting on the FA that I have missed?

Machinations
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hello Machinations, noI didn't had any problems with this. All the data is stored as sysex message and I think there is no use of track specific data. The different parts of a studio set are adressed elsewhere and could be seen seperate from the track numbers.

What you can do is to record the sysex data from the DAW back to the FA sequencer (like Roland did with the demo songs) and now you have all the personal studioset and tone data inside the song. Without to save it first as a USER program. Good when sharing songs with other FA user.

If your question refers to import of songs without sysex data, please have a look at the SMF file format 0 or 1. Was disussed in another thread.
Synthdance

Post by Synthdance »

Hi,

Alternative way (without using SySex) is to save backup file containing all custom tones/studio sets and to import back selected tones/studio sets via manually copying backup file to another user's SD card. See my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48873#p280217

Regards,

Mac
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

yes, thats true for all the FA studiosets and sounds (and system setup).
The sysex way is useful, if you want to save a single studio set and its tones. Or missed I a function to extract one studioset out of a full backup ? I don't want to swap or share all the FA's data or overwrite my system setup with a foreign dataset.
epostmiba

Post by epostmiba »

Hi,

I've been working with an editor for the FA for a while (PC) and exporting/importing individual Studio Sets using SysEx is quite simple (when you get the hang of it:-)). This functionality could absolutely be a part of such editor. But the problem with Studio Sets is that they may contain both User-tones and Exp-tones. Importing User-tones would overwrite existing user-tones. You could of course solve this by pointing out where to place imported tones (as part of the import-procedure). But the Exp-tones must be installed on the synth, and you can only install 2 sound libraries out of 10 (or at least 10). But there is no problem as long as the Studiosets only contains presets.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

What do you mean you 'have been working with an editor for the FA'? A prototype from Roland? Your own experiment? A general-purpose SysEx software?
epostmiba

Post by epostmiba »

It's my own experiment and is a mix between a librarian and an editor. I think the FA is reasonably easy to edit as it is, but it do lacks some features. So my program contains some functions that I think is missing and that makes life a little easier. E g to be able to copy an entire part from one Studio Set to another, or to obtain a list of which tones that are included in which Studio Sets (which to me otherwise easily become one big mess). The biggest benefit I have had with it so far is that I can sort/filter among all these 4000 tones. I can eg set a filter to list all organs regardless of which bank and bank type they belong. Being able to watch and preview all of these tones from a big screen is a great relief.

I have of course been thinking about making it available to others (if someone is interested). However, I am no professional programmer so one would have to take it as it is. The GUI-interface is very simple and the error handling is nonexistent. But it works, at least on my PC. :)

My biggest problem is that I haven't found a way to save changes on the synth via sysex. I know this is possible on other products from Roland (GR-55 for example). This means that some desirable features are meaningless. Such as being able to move/reorder Studio Sets and/or tones more easily. If anyone has any tips on this I would be be forever grateful...

I apologize for my English, even though I think Google Translate is a fantastic tool. :)
cello

Post by cello »

Sounds really interesting epostmiba; welcome to RC by the way :)

Your English is good (maybe with help from Google ;)

Will be useful to sort through all those sounds - it is one thing that I miss, being able to either look at all cello type sounds wherever they are or, pull up a list of the sounds in an EXP although they are spread over different categories.

With your tool is it possible to export a single sound? ie If I create a brand new sound and save it to a user bank, can I extract that and then have others be able to import it?

I would certainly be interested in seeing your work if you care to share it.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

I don't have an FA, only considering to buy one. However if you uploaded your software to Github, Bitbucket or similar, I could maybe help you out, I'm a software engineering student.
epostmiba

Post by epostmiba »

One can filterar on Bank (user/preset/installed exp's), BankType (SNA, SNS, SND, PCMS, PCMD) and category (the same categories that are used internally within the FA). You can then filter this in any way you want (single or multiple selections for all). I am, as I said, really happy with this feature, and have found tones I didn't know existed. :)

The function does not however handle GM-tones (at least not now). All tones in the FA is organized within certain address spaces. But the logic for GM-tones are so different that I haven't bothered to implement it. I also never use the GM-tones so it has been a low priority.

For performance reasons tones are saved and read from file, so the functionality to import/export tones already exists. The "only" thing left is to add the functionality to the GUI.

I really appreciate the offer of help, but the problem with saving is about which SysEx sequence to send to the FA in order to trigger a write. There is nothing about this in the documentation, so it is possible that the functionality is not there. Which in that case is very sad because it limits the possibilities. I have been in contact with Roland-support (in Sweden), but I'm not sure they understood what I was talking about...

I think I'll crawl back into my cave and prepare a version that others can use (with import/export added). Tips on desired functionality are most welcome.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

That software would be greatly helpful to me for the same reasons you mentioned.
I would love to copy from one studio set to another or part to another.
I would also like to know which patches are used in every studio set .
And of course the organized way of finding tones, etc.

Great idea!
Español

Post by Español »

When your software will be available to users?
Works on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit?
And if I had it available to the public, if you got a little tutorial for their use and explain what kind of connection /cable is required to connect to the FA?
Thank you.