Pre-Purchase-Question regarding Pattern Edit Screen

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Fantomtom

Pre-Purchase-Question regarding Pattern Edit Screen

Post by Fantomtom »

I'm thinking about to purchase the FA-06. While reading the PDF reference manual I had found on page 51 (Pattern Edit Screen) a possible very interesting option: Input by Keyboard

The manual states: "Use the 16 right-most white keys to enter notes (the black keys are ignored)."

What exactly does this means in practice? Does the 16 keys represent rhythm steps (similar to x0x-like step sequencing)? I remember my JX-305 (MC-505 as keyboard) had this feature and it was really cool.
Fantomtom

Re: Pre-Purchase-Question regarding Pattern Edit Screen

Post by Fantomtom »

Is there no FA-06 owner here who can answer my simple question? :-(
Cenobite

Post by Cenobite »

I had a quick look at this.Pattern edit brings up a grid. Press C2 for example selects bass drum.
Which ever key you select up to those 16 input white notes, selects a drum line on the grid.
From left to right you then have 16 steps.Pressing those 16 white notes then fill in the steps.
That is the best I can explain, I would not really have any use for it.
Fantomtom

Post by Fantomtom »

Cenobite wrote:I had a quick look at this.Pattern edit brings up a grid. Press C2 for example selects bass drum.
Which ever key you select up to those 16 input white notes, selects a drum line on the grid.
From left to right you then have 16 steps.Pressing those 16 white notes then fill in the steps.
Thank you so much for trying. If you hit the most left of the 16 white keys, the first step will be set. If you hit then the 3rd white key, the third step will be set. Did I understand this correctly? If yes, this is exactly the feature I want.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hello,
as far as I can see this works like a split key setup.

White AND black keys C2 up to A4 are the keys which select the NOTE within a Drum Set. To reach a full drum set, you can transpose via the OCTAVE down/up key. Each note is assigned to an imstrument (i.e. C2 usually to a Kick).
White keys B4 up to C7 represent the BEAT within the BAR (up to 16).
BEAT depends on the time signature, and BAR depends on the MEASURE LENGTH in the SETUP.

Use PLAY/STOP to hear what the pattern will sound like, in a looped pattern live replay.

VERY cool feature to compose pattern, a bit like the old Roland hardware drum computer!
Fantomtom

Post by Fantomtom »

bennyseven wrote:White keys B4 up to C7 represent the BEAT within the BAR (up to 16).
BEAT depends on the time signature, and BAR depends on the MEASURE LENGTH in the SETUP.
Yesss! That is exactly what I hoped this option is for: TR-like step programming of drum pattern.
Cenobite

Post by Cenobite »

Fantomtom wrote:
Cenobite wrote:I had a quick look at this.Pattern edit brings up a grid. Press C2 for example selects bass drum.
Thank you so much for trying. If you hit the most left of the 16 white keys, the first step will be set. If you hit then the 3rd white key, the third step will be set. Did I understand this correctly? If yes, this is exactly the feature I want.
bennyseven explained it better than me :) But yes those 16 keys set the steps.
Fantomtom

Post by Fantomtom »

Thanks to you both ;-)