Roland fa-06/8 questions

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
FA7

Re: Roland fa-06/8 questions

Post by FA7 »

I have a King Korg and an FA -6 Both make cool sounds and are the same price

Fa-6

You can load wav files into the FA-6 and play them by hitting a pad, great for stage sound effects, intros

Its keyboard is slightly heavier and less noisy than the King Korg

It has a ton of sounds built in, has a ton of features, even a crude sampler and vocoder

The manual and menu diving will melt your brain and evaporate your creativity fast once u start digging

Though it has stage handy features its half geared towards the studio, the biggish screen helps but in truth u need a monitor the size of a wall to understand whats going on inside.

*NOTE many of the features are not full fat, half way implementations, vocoder, sampler, pads, audio recording. The list of stuff you might think/want it to do , but it cant, is just as long as the list of stuff that it can....computer says Yes and No in equal measure...and its a ##### long list !

King Korg

Has an KNOB LADEN multi effects unit built in

Also has half a dozen 'cool sounding knobs' you can reach for, great if u want to keep it real live

It only has 200 pre made sounds,(100 user) but the knobs make those sounds tweakable in real-time or for saving. Just tweaking the default piano sound is a joy in and of itself !

It also has a vocoder (and a CV gate for controlling older stuff )

Its very direct, very intuitive (at least half of it) ...learning takes hours or days, not months and years

Although probably designed for Hipsters with more money than sense, on a planet full of antiquated romplers cursed with cruddy screens and even cruddier user interfaces it does make sense to call it the King of 'giving your brain a rest' ....get your life back for free with every King Korg...overpriced yes, but simplicity is obscenely underrated by synth manufacturers.

Q how keen are you on being a programmer ?

The FA 6 has a lot going for it BUT that intrinsic complexity IS the reason why the King Korg was invented

If your not a synth head and just doing backdrop sounds AND/OR flashy synth leads live on stage, King Korg is the way to go...has a kind of stage cred and has enough knobs too keep 2 or 3 band members busy 'live'

That said the extra features of the FA-6 means u can leave a stage computer/tape deck/midi controller back at home...all depends how heavy on non synth sound effects you want to go, the ability to play wavs at the touch of a pad is pretty useful and, if applied well, can raise your stage show up a notch.

I got both in the same week, after figuring out how to load wavs in the FA-6 im ignoring it in favor of 'mastering the king korg'...simple tools used well

With very few exceptions Synths only sound as good as the person using them

READ their talent x specific knowledge of that synth

At this price point almost all polyphonic synths have good enuf basic sounds and enuf tweak-able features. I know zip about synths, i play lead guitar...that said a synth to me is just a giant guitar effects unit. I already have talent & feel, comes with playing lead guitar, i already have plenty of experience with effects and what they do, dialing in a tone is second nature...i sorta already knew how the Korg worked. I could go menu diving on the FA-6 but cos i have both ill prolly never need to.
drummingkeyboardist

Post by drummingkeyboardist »

Yea, I'v been learning about sound design recently, and its something I could see myself doing. I really think the fa has the things Im looking for...Im still doing my research though
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

FA7 wrote:I have a King Korg and an FA -6 Both make cool sounds and are the same price

Fa-6

You can load wav files into the FA-6 and play them by hitting a pad, great for stage sound effects, intros

Its keyboard is slightly heavier and less noisy than the King Korg

It has a ton of sounds built in, has a ton of features, even a crude sampler and vocoder

The manual and menu diving will melt your brain and evaporate your creativity fast once u start digging

Though it has stage handy features its half geared towards the studio, the biggish screen helps but in truth u need a monitor the size of a wall to understand whats going on inside.

*NOTE many of the features are not full fat, half way implementations, vocoder, sampler, pads, audio recording. The list of stuff you might think/want it to do , but it cant, is just as long as the list of stuff that it can....computer says Yes and No in equal measure...and its a ##### long list !

King Korg

Has an KNOB LADEN multi effects unit built in

Also has half a dozen 'cool sounding knobs' you can reach for, great if u want to keep it real live

It only has 200 pre made sounds,(100 user) but the knobs make those sounds tweakable in real-time or for saving. Just tweaking the default piano sound is a joy in and of itself !

It also has a vocoder (and a CV gate for controlling older stuff )

Its very direct, very intuitive (at least half of it) ...learning takes hours or days, not months and years

Although probably designed for Hipsters with more money than sense, on a planet full of antiquated romplers cursed with cruddy screens and even cruddier user interfaces it does make sense to call it the King of 'giving your brain a rest' ....get your life back for free with every King Korg...overpriced yes, but simplicity is obscenely underrated by synth manufacturers.

Q how keen are you on being a programmer ?

The FA 6 has a lot going for it BUT that intrinsic complexity IS the reason why the King Korg was invented

If your not a synth head and just doing backdrop sounds AND/OR flashy synth leads live on stage, King Korg is the way to go...has a kind of stage cred and has enough knobs too keep 2 or 3 band members busy 'live'

That said the extra features of the FA-6 means u can leave a stage computer/tape deck/midi controller back at home...all depends how heavy on non synth sound effects you want to go, the ability to play wavs at the touch of a pad is pretty useful and, if applied well, can raise your stage show up a notch.

I got both in the same week, after figuring out how to load wavs in the FA-6 im ignoring it in favor of 'mastering the king korg'...simple tools used well

With very few exceptions Synths only sound as good as the person using them

READ their talent x specific knowledge of that synth

At this price point almost all polyphonic synths have good enuf basic sounds and enuf tweak-able features. I know zip about synths, i play lead guitar...that said a synth to me is just a giant guitar effects unit. I already have talent & feel, comes with playing lead guitar, i already have plenty of experience with effects and what they do, dialing in a tone is second nature...i sorta already knew how the Korg worked. I could go menu diving on the FA-6 but cos i have both ill prolly never need to.
Ok, that's an opinion...

But what is the bottom line, if I may ask?
Español

Post by Español »

After Roland has released the latest expansion of sounds for the FA, what you will do Roland from now, with the users that have a FA?
Did Roland will forget us forever?
Will publish a new firmware update?
Or, what do you think will happen from now?
What will be the future of FA from now?
Is there any way responsible for Roland here who can answer some of these questions?
Any responsible for Roland follow these threads?
Or are we here alone left to our own?

Because whenever I see and I get the feeling that only wonder and user of this forum we respond, without some responsibility for Roland you can monitor these threads and give official responses .................
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

drummingkeyboardist wrote:The kind of pads Im looking for are those deep, dark, atmospheric ones...sorta like the ones korgs tend to have.
Here are some Integra-7 demos you might find interesting. The FA's are virtually identical to the Integra-7 for these kinds of sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YS_NnTKCVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdEir8L_7SA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GltRlaRBcr8
drummingkeyboardist

Post by drummingkeyboardist »

Yea those are kind of what Im looking for...thanks so much!