EXP 10 Orchestra Collection

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Cenobite

EXP 10 Orchestra Collection

Post by Cenobite »

specialplant

Re: EXP 10 Orchestra Collection

Post by specialplant »

Seems to be the complete SRX 06 including all vocal waveforms.
My favourite expansion.
I don't like the new demo Roland has composed for it.
cello

Post by cello »

Downloaded EXP10 earlier and auditioned all of the sounds - they are simply amazing! Have lost several hours improvising with just these sounds :)

Love how the axial page says 'Roland Philharmonic Orchestra for the FA'! Spot on :)
Onj

Post by Onj »

This is definitely one of the better boards Roland ever produced. I have the physical SRX-06 this stems from and it's a nice side-by-side with what seems so far, to be no missing patches, unlike the SRX-08/EXP-01 collection.
Perhaps they'll redo EXP-01 one of these days now they've got the hang of it, and fit the missing sounds back. I dono.
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

Can someone please post audio or video clips of the choir sounds from the exp10? The axial site doesn't have a demo of said sounds.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

-deleted-
Onj

Post by Onj »

I didn't much find the new EXP demo gave a decent overview of what it's capable of, so I dug out an old SRX demo CD and found this. Hope it attaches correctly. Since it's just a clone of SRX-06, this should suffice.
Attachments
SRX-06_Demo.mp3
Roland SRX-06 demo
(4.67 MiB) Downloaded 746 times
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

Thanks for that post, Onj, that demo link worked great and beats the crap out of the Axial demo for this expansion download! Wow ! I've got a Kurzweil PC361 so I'm spoiled already with orchestral sounds but this download sounds pretty good also !
dan88z

Post by dan88z »

There are some nice sounds on this package. I replaced the strings exp with this one- plenty of strings in here and some nice orchestral stuff.
JayVee

Post by JayVee »

Am I the only one that finds all of the Strings & Orchestral sounds 'processed' with some slight phase or chorus.
I've read comments here comparing these sounds to the expansion boards/cards I had in my XV-5080
To me, there's no comparison - the FA doesn't come close to the realistic sounds from the 5080.
I've dug deep into the FA, to make sure there wasn't some added effect, causing the strings to not sound 'natural'...
Yes - the EXP-08 Strings are better than most of what came with the FA, but the same named patches on my 5080 are superior in clarity and realism.

I'm NOT here to slam my FA, rather, I'm hoping somebody has encountered these same issues and has a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Have you tried playing an init synth patch (plain sine wave for example) on your FA to rule out any influences through your setup?

I had the orchestral SRX in my Juno G, and while the output probably not as nice as the 5080, i'm sure that the FA sounds identical. I can't compare though, as i sold Juno(+expansions) for a Fantom, and subsequently moved to the FA.

However, there's times where i wish i still had my Fantom as i remember it sounding generally better than the FA on organic sounds, but it may be rose tinted... urm.. ears? The difference i would definitely describe as more clarity, or maybe better depth of sound?

But i wouldn't say there's any kind of phase/chorus like effect going on. (I know the sound you mean though).

Only way to know is with a direct comparison really. Volume differences can affect what we judge to sound better.
cda

Post by cda »

I believe that there is indeed something going on here. I've read about it on this forum before, but cannot find the thread/post now. I have an xv5080 and it sounded clearer than the FA when I was using orchestral type sounds. I can't quite put my finger on it. I know it is not exactly a technical expression, but I'd say the xv seemed more "alive". I haven't used the 5080 and the FA together for some time now. A few years ago I was using them together for a lot of songs. Perhaps I should dust the 5080 off and fire it up.

I wonder what would be the best way to test this, to eliminate any favoritism/nostalgia notions. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
danielolops

Post by danielolops »

The answer is probably the fact that there are differences in the Effects stack between JV/XP and the FA. Long story short, if you disable all effects on both units, you probably won't notice a meaningful difference anymore. I noticed that when comparing sounds with Roland Cloud's JV-1080, although I haven't specifically tried with Orchestra.
MINDKeys

Post by MINDKeys »

I have a XP-30 and i can't get rid of it because of that, it's incredible how the same sound just have more "power" and are way more lively int XP-30 vs the FA-06... How can Roland go backward's every time it releases a synth that uses those same old sounds is beyond me (i also had a fantom X and have a Fantom G)...
JayVee

Post by JayVee »

I'm a little relieved to hear that I'm not alone, but I'm also disappointed.
I've done the idea suggested by danielolops, and have to say, the differences are still noticeable.

:-(