FA08 beginner advice?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BigBANGtheory

FA08 beginner advice?

Post by BigBANGtheory »

So I decided to upgrade my Casio SK-5 (image below) with a Roland FA 08, very happy the instrument is a beast.

The obvious question arises however, FA 08 not withstanding... where is a good place to learn to use such a piece of equipment in terms of playing? Not so much the features of the FA 08 which I figure I'll pickup in time I guess I'm asking 88 key synths/keyboards in general i.e. classical piano training or <something else>?

cda

Re: FA08 beginner advice?

Post by cda »

There are probably sites out there giving free lessons, but you can't beat an actual teacher. Take a few lessons - see how it goes.

CDA.
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

Thanks, first piano lesson with teacher today ;-)
mangepange

Post by mangepange »

BigBANGtheory wrote:So I decided to upgrade my Casio SK-5 with a Roland FA 08, very happy the instrument is a beast.
I'm almost going the other way. I want to buy a simple sampling device to complement my FA-06.
The two contenders I can find are:
* Korg Volca Sample
* Korg Electribe Sampler
(are there any other portable "fun" sample devices? Roland?)

I will first see what NAMM will give, but after that it will probably go for the Volca Sample.
Fantomtom

Post by Fantomtom »

BigBANGtheory wrote:So I decided to upgrade my Casio SK-5 (image below) with a Roland FA 08
That is what I call an upgrade ;-)
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

Wow, that Volca sounds great. I have no current need for a rhythm maker, but if I do want to write that way soon, I may just get it! Volca Video below...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THImd64 ... r_embedded
mangepange wrote:
BigBANGtheory wrote:So I decided to upgrade my Casio SK-5 with a Roland FA 08, very happy the instrument is a beast.
I'm almost going the other way. I want to buy a simple sampling device to complement my FA-06.
* Korg Volca Sample
* Korg Electribe Sampler

I will first see what NAMM will give, but after that it will probably go for the Volca Sample.
geeman

Post by geeman »

mangepange wrote:
* Korg Volca Sample
* Korg Electribe Sampler

Here's another 'fun' item, (fun for your wallet, that is): the Akai MPX16. This latest one is the upgrade model of the MPX8. This one records samples from built-in mike, (or plug one in) and has lots of filters and effects. Good for making long samples. But working DJ's should beware of slow reloading times when changing kits - it can take many minutes if a new 'kit' contains big samples. Saves to SD card. The touch-sensitive pads of the MPX16 can also be used to play the pads of your FA, adding the much-missed velocity to your FA's samples.
Attachments
mpx16.png
mpx16.png (364.1 KiB) Viewed 1379 times