Audio Input Noise

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Miyagi

Audio Input Noise

Post by Miyagi »

Hey everyone,
I tried to sample from the input of the FA, but whatever i plug in there, the input is very noisy. This way it's not quite nice to sample let's say a bass or whatever..
Anyone else who encountered this?

Miyagi.
Miyagi

Re: Audio Input Noise

Post by Miyagi »

I have to be clear that its the Line in i've plugged into.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

check your cable, try another to assure it is ok.
I had some probs with the USB plugged in and connected to my Notebook. Some noisy sounds accured, which might have something to do with the current grounding / ground loop.
Also check the output level of your sound source an the input level of the FA.

Not really solving the problem, but you can use the Noise Gate on the input bus.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

Hey Bennyseven,

I checked my cables, i tried several rca to mini jack/jack-jack, but no difference. I think indeed it's a current grounding problem but how can i resolve this? As the power supply is not grounded for as far as i know.
By the way, i've already tried using the noise gate on input, but doesn't help a lot.

M.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

Nobody else who has this problem when you plug something into the Line in??
All your lines are quiet and clear of noise?
Any solutions?

Miyagi.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Sorry to hear about the noise issue in the line input. Is it like a kind of high pitch type noise? or Just noise like white or pink noise? I do not have a FA-06 but I had a Juno-G that had this kind of pitched noise in the audio input.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

It's a fairly high pitch noise, and its loud, and not dependent on input volume of the connected device, in my case a Juno GI. In fact the Juno makes noise also, when i plug in and select the line option. USB is perfect just like in the FA and also is the XLR in. Nothing changed in my house, electricity-wise and didn't change cables or whatever.....this is driving me insane.
I also notice a change in noise when i press some buttons or select a different Studioset or Voice.

What can this be?....this has never ocurred before.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The Juno-G I had was a first run and I purchased another Juno-G at the end of the run and that one had the noise but not as loud. The main difference between the two audio wise was that the first Juno-G had a hotter/louder output than the later one.
In your case with the FA, you could try to have your sound source being input into the FA at its maximum volume and back off on the Input volume of the FA.
I know how annoying sounds like that can be and frustrating when know one else reports the same symptoms.

I wonder if they are using low quality A/D converters.

If all else fails you could give Roland a call/ a service center a visit to check on it.

The problem I have with issues like this is I do not have any close stores to test their models. I have a guitar center that is about 40 minutes away but they always have such a limited/lame stock of synths.
Onj

Post by Onj »

Record the noise if possible.
I have a similar issue but not quite the same. I've connected my FA with balanced cables to my mixer and usb to my PC. Despite that, there's audible bus noise on the channel until I disconnect usb. Can't do that for very obvious reasons. Next I'll try a powered usb hub, even though the FA doesn't draw any current at all. None of my other midi gear is doing this, so I'd really like to get to the bottom of it.
I've changed to very high-grade usb cables and jack cables, that reduced the noise somewhat but still there. When I first got the FA, I had unbalanced cables and the noise was absolutely ridiculous.
It's not just my FA either. I did wonder whether it was because the FA, unlike the Fantom-XR, is an audio device, so I also tried setting the mode to midi only, not midi and audio, no difference.
I've learnt to compensate for it but really would like to know if there's a better way.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Only way out for me is to disconnect the power supply of my notebook (HP). Running on the battery is ok, otherwise there is this serious noise. So I plugged out the USB when recording via input. This 'USB noise' also appears on the Fantom X and a USB mixing device (Alesis) and has nothing to do with the FA, i think.

One day I had to record with the PC with he Fantom and I put two DI devices between FAntom X LINE OUT and the recorder. That works , physically cutting the electic circuit.

end of off-topic.

on my FA the line input is noise-less.
Fantomtom

Post by Fantomtom »

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HD400.aspx

Galvanic isolation is my universal weapon for all Computer- or USB-related interferences. Simply insert the HD400 before the line in or behind the line out of your FA.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your answers and inputs, very welcome.
I've tried to disconnect all my cables and then build up everything from scratch and then with every step i checked for noise. This time i started with connecting my GI to the fa and monitor trough headphones....aha...no noise....Then i connected my usb cable at the back of the Fa.....when it even touches connector........NOISE.... And the strange thing is...when i touch or plug in my din MIDI cable the same noise occurs, when it's not even connected to a device thats powered on. This only in combination with something plugged into the Audio input...so it seems like i have same phenomenon Onj and Bennyseven talked about. Is a DI device, like Fantomtom suggested, realy the solution here? As i still don't know the cause of this noise...

M.