TVA and TVF envelope - educate me

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
wilkinsi

TVA and TVF envelope - educate me

Post by wilkinsi »

I have found some sounds have very long rise and decay levels. This is my first attempt at manipulating these parameters. By drastically reducing TVA Env levels, I can get sounds to hit their peak levels faster. However, the decays don't seem right. Is there a certain way of thinking that must be adopted to get the best out of these parameters? The manual just doesn't explain them properly.
wilkinsi

Re: TVA and TVF envelope - educate me

Post by wilkinsi »

I've also noticed some sounds get louder as I play higher notes. I want to keep the volume at a constant level, regardless of which keys I'm playing. How can I do this?
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

For the envelopes it is best to search the internet for basic instructions. There are some good synth theory pages out there.

To adjust the volume depending on the key notes, look for Key Follow function.
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

A couple of basic concepts:

1) You want a sound with constant volume (like an organ let's say) but with the timbre evolving from very dark (filter closed, little harmonics content) to a very bright one (filter open, high armonics content)...in this case you use the TVF envelope

2) You want a sound with a constant timbre (i.e. the same armonics content over time) but a volume slighly rising, then decaying and slowly releasing after you leave the key...in this case you use the TVA Envelope

Then you can play with both combining the evolution over time of the armonic content AND volume
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

wilkinsi wrote:I've also noticed some sounds get louder as I play higher notes. I want to keep the volume at a constant level, regardless of which keys I'm playing. How can I do this?
Just a 'heads up'. Check your AMP Level Key Follow - Positive values for volume increases as you play up the keyboard, negative values for volume increases as you play down the keyboard. Your Filter will use a similar setting called FILTER Cutoff KF.

Cheers.
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

Thanks. I will alter those too.