FA08 + KC-110 amp issues

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BigBANGtheory

FA08 + KC-110 amp issues

Post by BigBANGtheory »

hi guys, hoping someone can offer some advice...

I recently bought the Roland KC-110 'stereo keyboard amp' to complement my FA08 and replace what was effective an old Sony home hifi amp/speaker set. I don't need any serious PA type amp I'm a beginner player at best not a performer.

My issue is this, just using the first built-in Grand Piano tone to get a good punchy volume I have to turn up both the volume control on the FA08 and the KC-110 but as I play some of the lower notes and chords the amp produces a horrible resonance and distortion as if it can't handle the bass response of the notes. If use the EQ sound modifier controls on the FA08 to turn down the low frequency it improves things but obviously at the cost of losing that frequency range.

Before I contact the trader to send the KC-110 back I thought I'd ask if there was any advice on what might be going wrong? I have checked my system settings on the FA08 and they don't appear to be doing anything silly, the connections all look right to me and the manuals...
specialplant

Re: FA08 + KC-110 amp issues

Post by specialplant »

I have never tried a Roland speaker, but I haven't heard too positive things about the KC-110. Piano samples often tend to cause distortion with many speakers, I even had difficulties with Genelec 8020 monitors. So I think the KC-110 probably just cannot handle the piano frequencies well enough.
I can recommend the FBT J5a speakers very much. I have used them and their predecessores FBT Jolly 5ba lots of times for the amplification of Roland and Yamaha piano samples even in middle to large churches, and they only begin to distort at extremely high volumes. Likewise, the db technologies K300 are excellent for piano as well. For smaller churches and rooms, I've also used Bose Sounddock portable (or Soundlink Air) for piano sample amplification, also works well without distortion at medium volumes.
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

I think you are right the Roland KC-110 simply can't handle the job being asked of it or the FA08 is clipping the signal and trying to drive the speakers too hard.

Thanks for the recommendation on the other options I'll probably send the KC-110 back and look at one of those.
FA7

Post by FA7 »

12 inch speakers are what u need

In general small speakers, ie 6.5 inches, just cant handle bass. Marshal 4x12 ? must be a keyboard equivalent out there ! Car subwoofer boom box ?
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

I can't confirm this. The speakers I suggested only have 5 inches and work perfectly for piano up to a surprisingly loud volume without distorting. I've even used them along with a drummer.
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

The recommendation I got from the music store was to use a KC-150 or above, they considered the KC-110 to be suitable for its portable battery applications only not a proper keyboard amp.

I wanted a stereo system ideally but simply not prepared to spend a fortune on something like a KC-880 or a twin set of active speakers like the FBT's or 2 KC-330's linked.

Currently I use an old Sony SA-VA15 home cinema set of floor standing speakers (with a built in amp), which do pretty well but again suffer from some resonance and distortion if the volume is too loud. What works well is having the mid-range and tweeters raised up either side of the keyboard closer to the level of your head.
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

I normally have to turn down the bass frequencies with my kc-350 otherwise I have problems. Is was the same with my rd-700